Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of not losing weight

I have started my pre-op process and attended a WLS seminar recently and now I am scared I won't lose weight with the lap band. I can already tell that the staff and physicians lean more towards gastric bypass, just in the way they talk and talk about the differences in the weight loss. They also tell you that one of the surgeons decided to have gastric bypass surgery instead of the lap band because he had a sweet tooth because of the dumping with the gastric bypass if you eat sweets. Now, I am so confused. I am against having gastric bypass because I have known several people that have not done well with the gastric bypass surgery and honestly I am just scared of gastric bypass. I have a small child and do not want to put myself in a situation where I get sick and cannot take care of him.

I am so afraid I will get the lap band and not lose weight. At the seminar they said that they have had people only lose 20 lbs in a year with lap band - this would devastate me! I have talked to a friend that lost over 100 pounds with the lap band in a year, but she said she worked very hard at it.

Any lap band patients want to share your success with me and let me know losing was easy or hard and any tips? I also have insulin resistance and wonder if this will play into my weight loss with lap band.

Thanks in advance!

I think your fear is very common, Im only 1 week post op but I have lost 23lbs which includes my 2 week preop diet. If you search this site you will see many people who loose way more than 20lbs in a yr. but remember it is only a tool and you have to do the work to succeed. The way I look at it is if Im going to the extreme of surgery than Im gonna do any thing to make this tool work the best way possible.

Bypass always scared me too much. The lap band surgery option was just right for me. It gives me a tool that makes me successful, but it puts me in control. I like that. It's up to me how well I do with this and I've done well. That being said, there are people who only lose 20 lbs, but we all know people who lost alot of weight with bypass, only to gain most of it back. I've done that before (with the diet and exercise thing) and I most definitely did not want to do it again.

My keys to success are simple. I eat what I want and I stop when I'm full. If I feel that my band is getting too loose, I get a fill. It puts me right back on track and I'm in control again. I always was able to "diet", but then I would get incredibly hungry and fall off the wagon. The band helps me stay on the wagon and I don't feel deprived at all. The adjustable part of all this can't be overemphasized. If you are willing to work with this tool, you will do well.

Cindy

I was in the same boat as you. So many tried to push me to get Bypass, but I decided what was best for me and got the Lap Band. I think the most important thing to remember is that it is YOUR decision and that the Lap Band isn't a fix all. It's a tool to help us achieve what all of us have struggled so long with, to lose weight. My Nut put it best I think. She said that I had to make the choice of using this tool to my advantage, or letting the tool use me. I can tell you from the other side, I am 1 week post-op, that I am so happy with my decision and would make the same one again and again. Good Luck!

The whole point is, only YOU can make the decision since it is your body. Listen to your instincts. I have heard so many people say that their surgeon and staff tried to push them in one direction or the other usually into gastric bypass. I too have known several people who have went with the gastric bypass and have had complications and not so good results. However, with that said I was wondering if you have talked to your PCP. My first talk was with my primary care physician and my caridovascluar surgeon (heart condition). Since they are most aware of my physical health and overall condition they were to me in a better position to help me decide which way to lean toward. Not saying that I totally chose what they said, but it really helped me make the final decision based on what they said. I went to many different seminars before I chose my surgeon also. It was such an obvious difference sometimes to hear the different ideas they have about WLS in general. Most of them I felt like were only about the money. Obviously, they have to make a living but I wanted someone who really put more into my care than that and I found someone who I truly have to say cares about her patients and is great with follow up. Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Bypass always scared me too much. The LAP-BAND® surgery option was just right for me. It gives me a tool that makes me successful, but it puts me in control. I like that. It's up to me how well I do with this and I've done well. That being said, there are people who only lose 20 lbs, but we all know people who lost alot of weight with bypass, only to gain most of it back. I've done that before (with the diet and exercise thing) and I most definitely did not want to do it again.

My keys to success are simple. I eat what I want and I stop when I'm full. If I feel that my band is getting too loose, I get a fill. It puts me right back on track and I'm in control again. I always was able to "diet", but then I would get incredibly hungry and fall off the wagon. The band helps me stay on the wagon and I don't feel deprived at all. The adjustable part of all this can't be overemphasized. If you are willing to work with this tool, you will do well.

Cindy

this comment was really helpful to me! thank:biggrin: you!

that is so true about complications, my mom had gastric bypass twice! I think that any and every diet works! It just depends on what works for you.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I know it is my decision and I know I do not want gastric bypass. I just don't want to have the lap band and not lose any weight. I am willing to put the work in, I just want to the see results :biggrin:

I meet with my surgeon on 01/04 and I am going to get all the information I can from him (he is the one that had gastric bypass instead of Lap Band).

I too know a lot of people that have had major complications after or during their gastric bypass and like I said earlier I cannot put myself in a situation to get really sick and not be able to take care of my child. I just want a tool to help me get this weight off (even if it is slowly). I just want to be healthy!

Thanks again to everyone that replied. This forum is the best.

Plus, darling, some of the side effects with bypass include: lifetime pills and supplements, losing weight too fast which then leads to skin hanging everywhere which in turn leads to plastic surgery leaving huge scars. Also, in my opinion, you don't have to tell people you have the band, which is awesome because as you lose weight gradually people will be thinking that you do it based on your own will power. Although that sounds funny, I've gotten weird looks when I tell people I've gotten a band because there's this stigma that people who get weight loss surgery just don't have any willpower so I just don't tell them at all anymore. Now when I get compliments I feel as if I'm seriously doing something to help myself :smile2: It is a tool, and it does work. You'll be fine. Habits are really the only thing you have to worry about.

Im scared of this very same thing! im getting banded at the end of jan. and so afraid im not going to lose the weight! my mom got the surgery two years ago and has done fantastic, but its not just an easy fix like some of the other people have said on these posts, you have to work really hard at it! i know you can do it and i know you will do wonderfully, just keep your head up and keep working hard!

Im scared of this very same thing! im getting banded at the end of jan. and so afraid im not going to lose the weight! my mom got the surgery two years ago and has done fantastic, but its not just an easy fix like some of the other people have said on these posts, you have to work really hard at it! i know you can do it and i know you will do wonderfully, just keep your head up and keep working hard!

Thanks! I feel better after reading all the responses. I want this and I do not mind to put in the work if I can see results.

Keep us posted when you have your surgery. I meet with the surgeon 1/04/10. I do know my insurance requires me to lose a few pounds before ( I think 10%), so it may be a while before I can have it done. I would love to know how your doing after you have the band.