Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op gal with some questions

hello friends

i went to my 1st consultation yesterday. i havent booked the date of the procedure yet, but im aiming for mid January 2010. i learned about the procedure and the diet before and after, so i decided to wait until after the holidays (my birthday aswell) to start the pre diet (new years res).

but i have a few questions.......

im 28 years old, no kids, and like to go out and have fun.......

can anyone who has had the band for a while, tell me what its like to go out and drink alcohol

(im not talking about often, or black out drunk or anything like that) night out with the girls????

also

any smokers out there....they say no smoking for 2 weeks before and after.....i dont no if i can quit. anyone not quit and it matter in the procedure

i dont want to get sick

thanks.....and many more questions to come

Well, you are not supposed to drink alcohol for at least two years.

My suggestion is to give up the smokes and give up the drinking as well since alcohol has empty calories and can bring up your weight very fast not to mention alcohol will not make you feel very well when you drink it.

Be sure to read all the literature BEFORE your surgery.

You are lucky that you can schedule your surgery so quickly! In Pennsylvania, it is mandatory to have to go through 6 months of 'training' where they give you tons of nutritional advice, make sure you are learning how to change your lifestyle, attending support groups and nutritional counciling, and towards the end, make sure you are ready psycologically for the surgery. My first month, they put me on a 1500 calorie diet, and suggested absolutely NO drinking alcohol and to quit smoking. They wont even do the surgery if you haven't quit. And, as rbailey said, alcohol is empty calories and you don't need that.

While I am not yet banded, I would suggest going to a support group and talk to those there about their lifestyle changes. That may help. :)

Different doctors have different views on how long to wait before having alcohol after having lap band surgery. As far as I remember, my doctor never told me a set time to wait, but I never asked either, because I've never been a big drinker. The most I heard about alcohol consumption was in support group (and there might have been a mention there of waiting three months), and the doctor said to be cautious of the fact that many people feel the affects of alcohol much quicker after banding, and of course, the fact that it's empty calories. That holds true for me, it goes straight to my head, but it doesn't make me sick. I'm sure part of the reason is that I weigh less now, but I also think it's because I eat such a small amount of food. I don't drink more than one glass of wine or one mixed drink on those rare occasions I have a drink.

Most bandsters can't tolerate beer because of the carbonation, which causes discomfort, and some doctors, but not all, warn that drinks with carbonation might stretch the pouch.

As far as smoking. I don't, but I do know it was required that smokers quit for a period of time prior to surgery. I don't think my doctor gave any wiggle room there.

smoking is a containdication for surgery it hinders the oxigination of your blood and makes healing much more dificult. You should quit smoking for more than a couple of weeks while you are healing.

Drinking....never hear the two year thing....OMG. I had surgery on 2/10/09. Went on my annual Parrot Head Cruise 5 weeks later and, yeah, I drank. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do enjoy it. Empty calories are the one issue. I'd been a rum drinker for years -- rum and Diet Coke is about 60 calories per drink. The no soda thing doesn't really apply to this because once you add alcohol, the carbonation fizzes out in a hurry. I just don't drink it as soon as the bartender hands it to me.

Smoking can make the healing part take longer and you don't want that. And, frankly, if you quit for 4 weeks, you're past the worst so just don't start again. Your PCP can help you quit. There are prescriptions that help, the Nicoderm thing has helped a couple of my friends quit....just think of it as an investment in your now brighter future!

While I agree w/most of what you said, I don't agree with the alcohol, and what I mean by that is this.... EVERY Surgeon is different.. My surgeon says no alcohol for a year.. some say, 1 month, etc... so in regards to the alcohol, you are best off asking YOUR surgeon and following what he says, not what other's did or say....same thing goes for smoking, pre-op/post op diets, etc... follow what your surgeon tells you.. not what others tell you...good luck and congrats on making the decision to begin this journey....

Well, you are not supposed to drink alcohol for at least two years.

My suggestion is to give up the smokes and give up the drinking as well since alcohol has empty calories and can bring up your weight very fast not to mention alcohol will not make you feel very well when you drink it.

Be sure to read all the literature BEFORE your surgery.