Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleveland Clinic HELP

Hi Everyone,

This post is for all the CLeveland Clinic people. I've just completed all my pre op stuff and consults. When I went to the nutrition class, Michelle told me she would submit my file to Karen and then my file would go to the surgical scheduler. She said I should hear from her with a surgery date within 2 weeks (I know the surgeries arent being scheduled until Feb right now). It has now been 3 weeks, so I called the office and they told me to wait another 2 weeks for someone to contact me and if I don't hear from someone in 2 weeks, I should call back! I can't believe it takes 5 weeks for someone to schedule a surgery!?! Did anyone else have this problem? It will be one year from the time I started until the time I'll have surgery (I'm beginning to think I should have gone to US Bariatrics which was my 2nd choice)

THanks for you help...:cry

Marsha

Guest Karmamamma

Hi Marsha,

I had the exact same experience. I started the process in July. I was not able to get appointments until Sept for the Esophageal swallow. I live in Jacksonville so I have to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale. I then had a problem with Dr. Fromkin the cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic who would not take my stress stest that was 367 days old... I fought with him for over 3 weeks. He demanded I retake my stress test which added another 2 weeks on... Then after I started calling in October I was told I would get the call back... meanwhile.. I was told about one woman being out with a family emergency then another one was getting married.. and I was told my date would be in February.. I blew a gasket because I was losing all my Insurnace benefits which were going to pay 100%... I wrote letters to Dr. S and to other staff members.. and I cried alot.. Then I was told I was on a waiting list and if I got the call I had to be down there.. just like someone waiting for a transplant... then I got the CALL... I was called last week and was told I had to be there the day before Thanksgiving.. see another surgeon.. not the one that was going to do me and see the anesthesiologist..and my surgery would be Dec 2nd.. like I really want to fly in and out of Ft Lauderdale the day before Thanksgivving.. the most traveled day of the year!!

so... Now I am having second thoughts and am scared to death with all the negatives I have been reading...

so.. hang in there.. February is not that far away....

I am in the twilight zone and don't know what I am going to do.....

Hi Everyone,

I decided to have the band in June (I actually started looking into it last year but didn't make up my mind until June). Well to make a long story short I was banded on August 7th. It took exactly 2 weeks from the time I picked the doctor to getting the band.

Sometimes these US doctors make such a big production. I know when I wanted my first fill I called a doctor who is about an hour away from me. I was told to drive there one day for a consultation $300 and then I would be scheduled for a fill in two weeks another $400! Can you say KACHING!!!! That's $700 for a fill and most likely I would have to go again and again to reach my sweet spot.

I went back to TJ to my own surgon. The fill took 15 minutes and he gave me a decent fill so I probably won't need another one to reach goal. Price tag $150.

Good Luck to you

Karmamamma,

Wow! What an experience! I will also loose my current insurance coverage in Feb! The insurance contract is being re-negotiated in Feb and I don't know if it will cover weight loss surgery. I'm willing to go through the process just like everyone else, but it seems the process is really unfair. If they were just upfront about all the waiting when I started all this I would have choosen to go somewhere else!

On the other hand, Dr. Rosenthal and Szomstein have an excellent reputation with weight loss surgery and I feel comfortable in their hands...just wish they could make this process a little less crazy and stressful.

In the mean time, it's been almost 4 weeks since they told me it would be 2 weeks! :cry I'm thinking of getting all the paper work and going somewhere else, I just hate to start over again!

Karmamamma- let us know what you decide to do! It would be rough to do it day before Thanksgiving and good luck getting a flight last minute!

Bebbly - I'm so glad for you that you didn't have to go through this!

Take Care

Marsha

Hey everyone, first off I know first hand how all the waiting crap sux. I had my first appopintment with Dr. Szomstien in early February. My surgery wasn't until August 29th. Just part of the process I guess. At one point it almost feels like it will never happen. My suggestion is to be nice as possible to the girls there. Namely Carmen, Karen, etc. Also, I would e-mail my doc every now and then, and he would respond pretty quickly and forward my messages to his nurses. I know it took long, BUT it was worth the wait. He's been great.

SZOMSTS@ccf.org

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all an update. Well, it's been over a month since I finished everything and still nothing! I emailed Michelle (the nutritionist) and she fowarded my email to Karen (RN), Karol (office coordinator) and Anita (insurance authorizations). Karol sent me a rather rude email telling me I needed to go through the process and wait. Karol sent a reply to Michelle (not realizing that I recieved a copy) with a really nasty remark. Anita emailed me to say she was working on the problem and couldn't find my file in the computer. She eventually found it and submitted to my insurance the same day! Anita was very professional and very kind to me!

So, at least the ball is rolling again!

:D

Marsha

Hi Everyone,

Today, I was denied by UHC. The letter states "obesity related surgery or treatment is not covered by your plan". :cry

Marsha

Well, it sounds like the Cleveland Clinic is hard to work with. Has anyone had a good (or bad )experience with Memotial Hospital in Ft. lauderdale?:confused2: