Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi eeveryone, I ws banded 2 weeks ago and I am supposd to be on mushies. I had 2 bites of chicken noodle Soup with a piece of chicken in it and I felt major pain! I felt like I couldn't swallow and it even hurt into my back! Is this normal? I tried to take a drink but that only made it worse! I had to throw up the liquid...now I am afraid to eat anything. What should I do?:thumbup:

Hi eeveryone, I ws banded 2 weeks ago and I am supposd to be on mushies. I had 2 bites of chicken noodle Soup with a piece of chicken in it and I felt major pain! I felt like I couldn't swallow and it even hurt into my back! Is this normal? I tried to take a drink but that only made it worse! I had to throw up the liquid...now I am afraid to eat anything. What should I do?:thumbup:

It sounds like the chicken got stuck in your stoma. You are probably still very swollen from your surgery. I wasn't allowed mushies for 3 weeks.

Do you feel okay now? Are you still in any pain? If not, I'd go back on liquids for a couple of days. And remember, mushy food needs to be like baby food consistency so that it passes through the band without hurting you!!

Sometimes the strangest things will do this. I had a problem with egg beaters (lots of people apparently have issues with scrambled eggs), and sometimes tuna. I thought I was choking but if I walk around and slowly sip Water it does eventually go down.

I have been banded for almost 10 months and lost 76 lbs. I would like it to be more but will also take it! Am grateful for the band. I definitely (obviously) eat less and am less hungry. After surgery, I didn't even weigh myself or watch what I ate for awhile. I just listened to the doctor and did what was told. I didn't try to diet and was a little frustrated because I guess of no structure and just let the band and the doctor 'do their stuff'. It worked. I had only lost about 15 lbs. from Feb til May. It was tough but looking back I'm glad bc I think I let my body heal and 'this band/tool' (mine is named Princess) gave me time to adjust to it and fills, etc... Weight loss started to kick in around May/June - after 4 months or so. It's not superfast but I'm still pleased. I went last week for a vist and fill and my doctor wouldn't give me a fill. I think it's probably right - some acid refluc - so I've tried to be careful and exercise more. It's all good. Hang in there! I hope to be part of 100 lb club by year bandiversary on Feb. 16th. I think I can do it. Wishing you the most success!

Thank you so much everyone...I know I ate too fast or something...it was a bit scary. I will be sure to be careful and take it slow. I definitely don't want to hurt myself. Thanks for all the encouragement! This site has helped enormously!

You just had your first episode of getting stuck. It's something you want to avoid at all costs, especially so early in the healing process, so here is my advice:

Once you have gotten stuck and/or thrown up on any given day, hold off from eating or drinking anything for a couple of hours, then switch to liquids for the rest of the day. Your stomach swells whenever you get stuck/PB, so it will be more sensitive immediately afterwards and you run the risk of getting stuck/PBing again and again if you continue to try to push more solid foods.

In the mushie stage, even a chunk of soft chicken in chicken Soup needs to be thoroughly chewed until it is liquid in your mouth. You should probably not risk chunky style Soups at this stage but run them through a blender first, so they are thick mush, not liquid and chunks. Over the next week you can gradually make the transition from mush to soft casseroles, etc, but be sure to really chew every bite and take a couple of seconds rest between each one.

Good luck and remember to chew, chew, CHEW!!