Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are our bodies so complicated!!!!

ugh!!! i am so frustrated. I mark my weight down once a week wed to wed. Well this week i only losed .7 lbs. Don't get me wrong i am happy with any weight loss but i just don't get it. I count my calories religiously. I write done everything i put in my month. I eat anywhere from 900-1100 calories. So i decided to add up how many calories i eat this past wed to wed.

It added to a total of 7600 calories. So if my body needs 2200 calories to maintain my body weight thats a total of 15,400 per week.

15400 calories to maitain

-7600 calories eaten

That is a 7800 plus the 1500 calories i exercised so that is a total of 9300 calories deficit for the week. Well if there is 3500 calories in a pound. I should have lost a total of 2.6 lbs for the week but i didn't i only lost .7 . I just don't understand this boby of mine. :rolleyes2:

I'd say get a Bodybugg so that you know exactly how many calories you are burning except I have one and am going through the same thing this week.

From what I found online our metabolism gets used to the same routines every day and optimizes the energy our body uses.

I am going to try eating 500 more calories a day and burning 200 more than I have been just to switch things up.

ugh!!! i am so frustrated. I mark my weight down once a week wed to wed. Well this week i only losed .7 lbs. Don't get me wrong i am happy with any weight loss but i just don't get it. I count my calories religiously. I write done everything i put in my month. I eat anywhere from 900-1100 calories. So i decided to add up how many calories i eat this past wed to wed.

It added to a total of 7600 calories. So if my body needs 2200 calories to maintain my body weight thats a total of 15,400 per week.

15400 calories to maitain

-7600 calories eaten

That is a 7800 plus the 1500 calories i exercised so that is a total of 9300 calories deficit for the week. Well if there is 3500 calories in a pound. I should have lost a total of 2.6 lbs for the week but i didn't i only lost .7 . I just don't understand this boby of mine. :rolleyes2:

Don't get frustrated try to weigh in at the same time so that you have a consistent reading. I normally weigh in after i wake up and use the restroom in the nude of course. Have you been keeping track of your sodium intake? You would be surprised how big of a difference too much salt can make. Next week i have a hunch that you might be down more than just 2 lbs it happens. Make sure that you are counting your calories that you excersise acurately. Most machines are just not accurate. Body bugg is a good idea.Pricey though

You will have weeks when you just don't lose the same. It happens to me and then all of the sudden I lose a bunch. I just keep doing my exercising and eating right and it eventually comes back around. Hang in there and don't lose heart. You are doing great!

Don't forget that with exercising you might have burned fat and added muscle, and since muscle weighs more than fat, you may have lost more than the .7 lbs of fat. Did you notice any non-scale victories? Clothes getting looser etc. Try not to be discouraged.

Renee, I agree with all the other posters so I mainly wanted to comfort you and say hang in there you are doing well and next week even better.

Best wishes,

Mimi

The only thing I might add is how is your Water intake? If that is really good too, keep doing what you are and you will be rewarded. If water intake needs to be improved, up that a bit and see where that takes you.

I weigh myself every day. First thing in the morning, in the birthday suit. I use that as my actual weight before I start eating and drinking for the day. I will stay the same weight for a couple weeks at a time and then drop a couple pounds. I don't expect to lose much right now as I have been bad. Drinking really makes a difference. I can't drink as much as I should right now as they are remodeling the bathroom in our building and we have to go next door in freezing weather to use the bathroom. I have noticed my body isn't as happy as it could be.

The charts say that at 5ft 10, 150lb and the amount of exercise I do, I should be eating aroumd 2,500 calories a day to maintain my weight.

I eat about 1800 or so. It is ridiculous when you think my week includes two 10kms runs, a circuit class, a couple of bootcamp sessions as well as the day to day running around I do that I eat so little and am not thin as a stick.

But its just the way it is. Once you've lost weight through the fairly severe calorie restriction that lapband imposes, you will never be able to eat what the charts say you should again. Your metabolism is affected by it and its why diets in general are unsuccessful. They only work for us becuase we have bands to keep us on the straight and narrow forever.

You can minimise the slowdown, but I did everythign right - I ate 1500 calories a day, never went below that, I ate a lot of vegies, fruit and fibre, I exercised religiously, both cardio and strength. And I am still stuck with eating about 800 calories a day less than I *should* be able to. I certainly eat WAY less than other people half my size.

Add to that the fact that many obese people cant figure how they got so fat eating what everyone else eats and its very very possible that your body does NOT need 2,200 calories a day to maintain its weight. I have two sons, both who eat about the same. The 14 year old is about 180lb at 5ft 10, the 12 year old about 90lb at 5ft 2 or so, totally different body types. Its ridiculous. The younger runs around like a nutter all day, scootering and biking and kicking balls and whatnot and that's what makes the difference. Its all in the metabolism and you may not have the calorie deficit you assume you do.

But that's a negative way of looking at it just yet, you are most likely plateauing out, and it will break, sooner or later. Just hang in there, becuase what matters is consistency. Its how you go from being a couch potato to running 10kms and its how you go from fat to thin. If there's one thing that I learned, its that week to week is not how you judge weight loss - its a long term thing. Its really only when you look back after six months or a YEAR that you can see the real results.

Edited by Jachut

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's just that it gets so frustrating when you work so hard and don't see results. I weighed in this moring it is wed and i am down 2.5lbs this week so much better then last week. Your right Jachut our bodies get used to what we do. If any one ever says that Band people have it so easy then they are wrong you have to work at this just like anything else.