Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'Dieting' or 'Way of Life'

I'm just curious as to how many people are 'dieting' (liquid diet, weight watchers, Atkins, etc.) vs how many are just reducing what they eat.

One poster said there are no good or bad foods. It's what we do with them. For example, one slice of pizza is not bad. Half of a pizza is.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to do a 'poll'.

In my very humble opinion, diets and weightloss programs are a waste of time and in a lot of cases, money.

You want to lose the weight and keep it off for the rest of your life. How many diets have you stayed on forever? How much is a lifetime subscription to Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem?

The key is in eating moderate portions and exercising.

I've dropped almost 50 pounds since mid September and won't be banded until early February if I am lucky.

I've been monitoring not only how many calories I am consuming but also how many calories I am burning with the help of "Buford" my Bodybugg. Thus far, I have not felt like I am starving myself or missing out on anything.

I agree "diets" are such a waste of time. There are plenty of skinny people that enjoy all types of food. They know when to quit. I personaly dont:) Thats why I got this band.

I had this surgery to change my life, and it has. I eat whatever I want, but in smaller quantities. I have dieted most of my life and even though I lost lots of weight, I always ended up heavier. I just ate a cookie. That was one cookie, not 6. Most days I eat good foods in reasonable amounts, but I do allow myself treats. I'm sure I could lose the weight faster on Atkins or something else, but that isn't the point for me. I want to enjoy my life and food is part of that. I love the fact that the lapband allows me to eat what I want without being a slave to my appetite.

Cindy

Way of life --- eating less- enjoying it more ...

At thanksgiving dinner , I loaded my plate with what I thought I wanted and could eat. about 1/2 way thru .. I was done . Wahooo- my brain is learning !!!

Until I lose the majority of my weight, I am on a "diet" (high protein/lowcarb and of course portion control). As I get closer to goal, I will incorporate a wider variety of foods. That's not to say that every now and then I'll have something not on plan, but to be honest, I feel better when I lowcarb.

I'm at the very beginning stages of this, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I did this surgery with the intent of not having to do a "diet" ever again. I've spent thousands on Weight Watchers and ended up 150 lbs heavier than when I first set foot on one of their scales. And have even more food issues than I did then. I don't blame WW per se, but it certainly didn't work for me. Or perhaps I should say, I just couldn't work the program long-term.

The thing that prompted me to explore banding was I was about to attempt another go-round with WW, and told my mom. She very lovingly told me, "Amy, I really don't like you when you do WW. You become obsessed with it, and it consumes everything you do and say. It's all you talk about, all you think about, and all you focus on. It makes you not very fun to be around, and I think it takes a toll on those around you." It was at that moment that I realized she was right.

So, that's my long-winded way of saying, I intend to make this a lifestyle. Eating less but enjoying moderation.

I do realize at some point, it may come down to making the decision between losing those last 20 through 'dieting' or being content with those last few lingering pounds and not having to count calories. It's a long way off, though, and I'll just cross that bridge if and when I get there (meaning it may not happen - maybe every pound will come off without traditional dieting!)

Great question!

Amy

I prefer to think of it as a change in eating habits. So I guess you can way "way of life". I am more conscious of what I put in my mouth since the volume we eat is so much less. I still enjoy some "treats" like pizza, Desserts, occasional Snacks, etc. But just not near as much in quantity as before. Does the scale reflect it when I eat poorly? You bet! So I am for eating healthier and allow myself to enjoy other things when we socialize. Do I feel deprived? Not really. I remember reading a definition of insanity that has stuck with me since this journey began - To do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. That has helped me make some adjustments to my life and my mindset.

I prefer to call my plan a "way of life". As far as "diets" go....been there, done that, and failed miserably at it every time. I love my way of life now. I don't have that "naughty food list" anymore. I no longer believe in deprivation.

"Dieting" has always made me instantly obsessed with food. Plus it was always a lot of work. I am basically lazy I guess, or I would not be overweight. I remember my Mom was a very small person. She could eat slowly and would often be at the table after everyone else left. She could walk away and leave one bite on the plate. I always thought that was amazing. Now I can do it and I finally feel normal. Yippee!!!!

I just typed a long post on this very topic, but in brief, I really consider dieting dysfunctional behaviour that hinders your progress towards being 'cured' of obesity.

As long as you impose rules on your body and dont listen to it - as in, I really want a sandwich but rules say no bread, so I'll eat chicken instead - I dont think you will ever gain full control of your appetite and hunger. If you want the sandwich, have it!

When you give yourself permission to eat anything, and you get rid of the ridiculous notion of good food v bad food, you will probably find that your body directs you to eat in pretty good balance.

I've had success with this in the past, there are any number of books on the topic, but I still always ate too much. With a band to control portions, this approach has worked really well for me.

Did I always get my recommended Protein in (not that we have "recommended protein" approach in Australia)? No. Did I sometimes eat too much saturated fat? Yep. Did I occasionally binge on white carbs? You betcha, old habits and addictions die hard.

But over the years, that sense of panic my body seemed to feel in having foods denied it has reduced. I have mentally accepted I can eat whatever, whenever if I'm reasonable and not gain weight.

And these days, I really feel totally free of the hold food had over me. It really is just food. There's certain foods I like and I really do have to say no to them often, because i would overeat them. But I've gotten over the notion of having to eat chicken and broccoli because its 'good' and forego the mashed potato coz its bad. And guess what, sometimes I dont fancy mashed potato and I really DO fancy broccoli.

so no, I dont diet, I dont look up how much Protein or calories I need in a day, I dont log, I try not to think about it too much (because after a lifetime of dieting I do know the calorie count of everything) and I figure if I dont get enough, say, Omega 3's in my diet, well, so be it, I dont smoke and I dont use sunbeds, so all the risks even out in the end.

I have to say I have changed my way of life. I made a decision to be banded so that I could change my life. If I didn't, I was going to die sooner than later as told by my cardio surgeon. So, yes, I changed my way of life. I no longer sit on the couch and eat M&Ms watching TV. I no longer eat whatever the heck I want whenever I feel like it in whatever quantities I feel like. That and some horrible medications is what got me where I was in the first place. When I was able to get off the meds and then I got banded I had to make the choice not to eat the things that trigger my appetite to eat more. Once I reach my goal I will eat more types of the things I love in less quantity of course but for now, I choose to stay away from things that I know will make me want more of the things that are bad for me. It is working for me so far so I am sticking with that. I truly don't have the appetite for it any longer. I don't even think about M&Ms now. I had all kinds of crap like that for Thanksgiving because I had a boatload of family here and I didn't even want it.

I really do believe that you have to adapt to a new way of life in order to keep this weight off forever. A diet is a short term program and when it's over most people gain the weight back that they lost. With a lifestyle change you are more likely to keep it off.

I think that whoever said that about the pizza was right on the money!

I have been "dieting" since I was 10 years old. Now that I'm 41 I'm ready for a change of life. I chose lap band surgery because I wanted a tool to make me accountable for my actions. Now I know something is in my stomach that will help me loose the weight and keep it off. If I choose to eat something bad for me I might choose it once in awhile instead of weekly now. I'm still a work in progress so only time will tell.

"Dieting" has always made me instantly obsessed with food.

That is so true! A few decades ago I would go to the county fair with my aunt (only 4 years older than me) and would vow to eat sensibly. We'd leave at the end of the day groaning at the amount of food we ate. Then one year...my ephiphany year...we gave ourselves permission to eat our way from one end of the fair to the other.

As we walked out the gate at the end of the day we started laughing because our 'pig out' involved one Italian sausage with green peppers and onions on a roll, one fry and the candy apple we were carrying out with us. Once we gave ourselves permission to eat if we wanted, we apparently no longer 'wanted'.

That's how I'm working it now. At Thanksgiving, I didn't go into the weekend with a 'you can't have this list'. If I wanted it, I planned on eating it...and ended eating in moderation just like 'normal folks'.