Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proof that Carbonation Can Damage a Band

My aunt is a dentist CaliQueen and she told me that soda can cause enamel erosion on your teeth, but even worse is drinking lots of wine or orange juice. Its the acid in the drinks not the carbonation though, according to her.

My surgeon also says no carbonation because it "allegedly" stretches your stomach pouch. I am not a big soda drinker so I am OK with this.

But DAMMIT, I will continue to enjoy an occasional good microbrew. Read my thread on how my husband reduces the carbonation for me. He's almost perfect- I just need to talk him into doing this task naked :-)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10583

In reading all of these posts. I have a question??? Will I never be able to go to the club with my friends and get drunk again??? Guess I hadn't thought about that one.

"In Australia we dont have the 'no carbonation' rule."

Umm Yes we do. Perhaps not in WA but I was certainly told by my surgeon in Qld that carbonated drinks was a no no. I do know others on the East coast that have been told that for sure. It's not to prevent slippages but to prevent stretching the pouch.

I haven't had a carbonated drink since January and no longer miss it. Slight bubbles as in champagne I will make an exception for though..LOL

Thérèse

I'm not a huge soda drinker, never have been. But I do like the occasional half a can of coke in the evenings and I drink it without any guilt. When I do this, I drink the regular stuff, not diet. Hate diet coke and I figure if I'm going to allow myself something bad, I might as well enjoy it.

My drink of choice when we go out has always been vodka, lime cordial and soda Water. Since being banded though, while a bit of carbonation doesn't bother me, its not something I can drink all night long, so I've switched the soda Water to plain water. Tastes the same but goes down smoother.

As Loopy said, the no carbonation rule isn't something I've heard here in Australia as it is in the States. Guess that's a good thing cause if my doctor told me its a no no, I'd listen to him lol.

I was told no carbonation, but no one ever said it had anything to do with slippage. It was a stretching issue, which makes sense to me.

In reading all of these posts. I have a question??? Will I never be able to go to the club with my friends and get drunk again??? Guess I hadn't thought about that one.

Uh...yeah! In fact post banding it takes less alcohol to "get you there". I drink bloody marys, martini's and an occasional margarita (too much sugar). I also drink lots of wine both white and red. Or some nice sipping whiskey on the rocks.

PLENTY of choices for adult beverages!!!

I was just told that some people can tolerate it and others can't. Tolerate meaning that for some people it'll hurt like hell because of the gas bubbles. Personally, I don't like pain.

I figure I'm better off without the stuff anyway... generally because diet sodas taste like crap and after awhile I'd start sneaking regular Coke instead. And eventually I'd be up to a few Cokes a day. The night-time Coke might come with some rum and a squirt of lime juice. wink.gif

Those calories really add up! So for me, I'm happy to have a no-soda rule. smile.gif And no caloric beverages in general except for an occasional latte.

I'm even afraid to drink a lot of Crystal Light because of the aspartame in it. Several years ago I drank a gallon of it in one day. I had a headache from hell that put me in the ER. They never figured out what was wrong. It took a couple weeks for the pain to subside completely.

I figure they'll figure something's wrong with Splenda soon enough. After all, when aspartame first came out on the market it was touted as being healthy! Hogwash. wink.gif

Im in Australia and was never told no carbonation either. Havent heard any of my bandster friends over here being told that either. I have a sprite zero a few times a week.

Well maybe it's just a Queensland thing. On Ozband I have posed the question and it appears other Queenslanders have also been told that. And I KNOW I was! Perhaps it was only meant for the recovery period, who knows. I haven't had any since January and guess I won't go back to it now, I am over my addiction.

Thérèse

Therese..

Hiyas, Hows things? I hope I didnt offend you. I didnt mean to imply you werent told, was just saying that I wasnt. Havent talked to many QLDers, maybe it is a QLD thing.

I have cut it down alot, I was a 2lt diet coke drinker each day, now I just have a can of sprite zero a few times a week.

Good to see you :)

Oh no I wasn't offended. I didn't think you meant that you didn't believe I had been told....I just mean't I KNOW I was told....LOL

It seems to be a surgeon by surgeon kind of thing. According to some on Ozband they were told NONE in the first 6 weeks, then others were told only infrequently and others again told none ever. Anyway..its been interesting to hear how different people get told different things!

I used to be a 2ltr a day girl too...Pepsi Max was my soft drink of choice. I don't miss it anymore but did in the first few weeks. I also have started to drink much more wine than before, as my bourbon and coke or vodka and lemon are now not so easy to get down. I still manage the odd ruski but find them too sweet now. Its amazing isn't it how our tastes change.

Take care

Thérèse

Ok had my second fill on Tuesday, from my first filled I drank diet soda and it didn't bother me; with this second one diet soda hurts going down; but right now most any food isn't going down without hurting. Even Water bothers me too. I love diet soda too. What do they say it helps you store fat; You can't get rid of everything you like; what kind of life would that be.

My doctors said I could have diets soda (he said it does bother some people). He even said wine too; I think since you can't eat much; what the heh!!

One thing I've noticed is I have so much more energy than I did before; the weights coming off slowly, but may be since I can't eat anything it will start coming off again.

DeLarla I wish I could meet you, I love the way you think. Hey I took a peek at your website the other day, wow!

hey, search 'soda is a myth" and it will take you to the post wher I go off on this soda freak-out. In addition, yes, soda, diet, sugarfree or otherwise is not the BEST thing for one to drink, but weigh it against the other evils in the food world-- it aint so bad. let's get real people.