Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been postponed 6 mos for gaining too much weight

I was shocked when my Dr told me I would have to wait another 6 months on top of the year I've already spent jumping through hoops to get all his requirements done. He said since I gained 30 lbs over the past year, we'll have to wait until my weight is stable. I think since I'm at my all time high, I won't have any trouble staying here, but still. I really wanted January, you know? He never said not to gain weight a year ago! Oh I'm so annoyed. Now it looks like June or July. dammit.:biggrin:

That really sucks. You'd think that they'd want to get it done now to help keep you from gaining more weight. I'm not a doctor, though--there's probably (maybe) reason in what he's saying.

I'm sorry you have to wait. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear :thumbup: I was worry about gaining too... My doc said i can not gain.. That i must lose, I fell off the bandwagon the last few weeks and only lose .5 at this monthly pcp apt..

Well, a percentage of the medical profession are freaking idiots is all I have to say.

so many of these doctors impose their moralistic bullsh*t on their patients. To my way of thinking the sooner, the better, and you're not a pig or hopeless or a failure, you're a person suffering from a disease which only progresses in one direction.

I would be seriously concerned about this guy's empathy and ability to relate to his patients, concerned about the way he's going to support your weight loss. My guess is a lot of rules, expectations and punishments for not achieving to his schedule.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Maybe I am the only one But I think he has a right to say that... My doctor said the same thing. He doesnt want to do surgery on a patient that isnt willing to make changes in their life before surgery. My friend had RNY and stopped drink regular soda and started walking 3 times a week for 30 mins and lost 30 lbs in the six months. I have made small chances too in the past 4 months and have lost about 20lbs..

I do feel bad for you... Wish he would have told you earlier that he would not do it if you didnt lose weight..

I agree wholeheartedly with LC. If you aren't willing to lose a couple of pounds the old-fashioned way; what is there to make the surgeon think you will follow the rules once banded?

When it fails and you don't lose any weight or even worse, gain weight after being banded by him; it is a black mark against him. Nothing moralistic about it. The band is a tool. If you can't lose weight on your own, maybe by-pass is a better idea.

I'm down 41 lbs since my initial consultation 2 months ago and I am not killing myself. I cut my portions a little and am walking for 45 minutes to an hour a day at a comfortable pace.

My doctor is known for postponing surgery due to weight gain or lack of loss--

There was a girl in my group sessions who was sched for surgery on a Tues and had an appointment the day before - came to group that night and said he postponed her because of weight gain :thumbup:

I was shocked when my Dr told me I would have to wait another 6 months on top of the year I've already spent jumping through hoops to get all his requirements done. He said since I gained 30 lbs over the past year, we'll have to wait until my weight is stable. I think since I'm at my all time high, I won't have any trouble staying here, but still. I really wanted January, you know? He never said not to gain weight a year ago! Oh I'm so annoyed. Now it looks like June or July. dammit.:thumbup:

Can you find another surgeon? Obviously if you could do this without the lapband, you would. I think you should look around for another Dr. My Dr. doesn't require weight loss prior to surgery. Thank God!

I made positive changes before being banded - but I didnt lose any weight. Not that I had a requirement to. I recommitted to exercising regularly and got myself fit, which I believe was of major benefit to me in terms of recovery. And it was a mindset thing - I changed my life from the time I made the decision to have surgery. I ate healthy but I saw no point in trying to lose weight, nor did I ever feel tempted to have one last major pig out. I didnt eat everything that wasnt nailed down. So I get the point that several people have made above about weight gain prior to surgery. I dont think someone who goes out and stuffs themselves stupid for months is necessarily ready for what this surgery really entails, its more a desperate grab for a magic fix in a lot of cases.

But I still think its heartless, judgemental and more than a little stupid to expect people who have such major weight problems and issues to do with food that they are willing to consider surgery to "prove" that they can do it before they have the surgery and i wouldnt use a surgeon who expected it.

The 3 to 6 month waiting period is usually referred to as a "supervised diet". It's a time when the doctor can evaluate how well you do prior to being banded and ensure that you are a good candidate.

I agree that if the doctor expects or requires the patient to lose weight during the supervised diet period then he should make this clear and not string somebody that can't or won't lose weight along.

The decision to have lapband surgery is a big decision. You should be ready to alter your lifestyle prior to making the decision. As we've all read thousands of times, "the lapband is a tool" and you have to be willing to make some sacrifices if you expect it to work. Nobody said that these sacrifices don't start until after surgery or your first fill.

The surgeons would be doing nobody a favor if they proceeded with the surgery on a patient they don't think will succeed.

I may be being a little judgmental but I don't want to come across unsupportive. We can all empathize with somebody that has gained weight even during a diet but that doesn't mean we have to attack the doctor who is probably looking out for the patient's best interest.

My Dr said that gaining a lot of weight increases the size of the liver and makes it dangerous to do surgery. He is not asking me to lose weight, just to maintain what I've got now. I believe he is acting in my best interest, but I just wish he had made it clear not to gain weight from the start of this year. then I could have made more of an effort.

My Dr said that gaining a lot of weight increases the size of the liver and makes it dangerous to do surgery. He is not asking me to lose weight, just to maintain what I've got now. I believe he is acting in my best interest, but I just wish he had made it clear not to gain weight from the start of this year. then I could have made more of an effort.

yep.. Thats why my doctor said it would be great to lose weight during the process cause it will shrink the fat around the liver..

I am sorry for the reschedule that has happened. It may have been possible to gain weight even if following new eating and activity habits. I initially lost about 10 lbs when I changed up my routine and then gained it all back and more because I became depressed and overly stressed with my work and personal life.

There are more factors to how our body deals with weight than just what we are eating. Maybe you have other factors that have contributed to the gain that your surgeon is concerned about?

Hang in there.

they took my weight at consult and I was told that I could not gain one pound or I would be postponed, I had to sign a paper for that agreement, then preop diet they took my weight and said I had to lose 10lb prior to surgery. I only lost 7.5 but considering the weight I had lost since my consult and that I had my period,It figures, for surgery day it was no problem.

I was interested and losing the weight from my first visit... I wanted to start modifying my diet so it wouldn't be so hard later. So it was kinda like practice. I also went into it thinking Ok Help is coming so I won't yo-yo back up. It is ok to give it a go. It is not hopeless anymore. Every 7lb or so I would stablize for a couple of weeks and then I would work on it some more. Now I am stable at 36lb lost and I have my first fill next Monday. I am so thankful to be banded before the holidays. I am SO excited for 2010! I am on my way to being the best I can be.

Happy and Blessed turkey day to all of you. Remember eat the TURKEY FIRST . I am thankful for my band and all the support I have to succeed.