Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Get to pick my band, but not sure which brand to go with. Help!

I've seen two surgeons who both think I'm a perfect candidate for the band. The good news is that they both will let me pick whether I want the Lap-Band AP or the Realize-C band. The bad news is that they both will let me pick whether I want the Lap-Band AP or the Realize-C band. Having never placed a band myself, my gut (no pun intended) says to defer to they physician's opinion. Herein lies the problem. One doc tells me that if I don't care, he'll place the LAP-BAND because it's 3rd generation, compared with the 2nd generation REALIZE band, and because there is some anecdotal evidence that shows while the LAP-BAND may have a higher incidence of slippage, it has a lower erosion rate. He also said it's easier to fill the LAP-BAND because the port is easier to find. The other doc tells me if I don't care, he'll place the REALIZE band because it's faster and easier to put in (which doesn't concern me-I don't care how long it takes him to put in, I just want the right one for me!), has a lower incidence of slippage and has better online patient support. And HE says that the REALIZE band is easier to fill! So now it's completely up to me to decide which band to go with. I need some suggestions on this one please!

I'm not 100% decided, although I am leaning towards the doc that tends to place REALIZE bands because of the close proximity to my home, the fact that I really like his office staff, and that I won't have to jump through as many office hoops (upper GI, special liquid diet, $350 program fee aren't necessary there, as they are at the other doc)

What a decision to have to make!! I guess I would choose my surgeon and then go with what he prefers.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, but please realize that you will most likely be getting biased opinions depending upon which band the poster he/herself may have. I'm not so sure I would base my decision on these opinions as much as factual research.

I have the older generation 10cc Allergen Lapband. It only holds 4cc fill. I lost 37 pounds prior to the first fill and obtained really good restriction with my first fill. It seems many surgeons use the 14cc band and from all the posts I see it takes these patients many fills to reach restriction and I see many complaints of little to no weight loss during this time. Perhaps you may want to inquire about this to aid in your decision making process.

Best of luck to you in making your decision and great success with your lap band journey.

Donna

I really think this decision should be made only after much research and imput from people you trust.

I remember when I started this process, I actually came to this site long before I joined it because I googled

"Realize vs. Lap Band" or something to that effect and read a V-E-R-Y long, angry post against the Realize Band and how antique-ish it was and how the Lap band was the only up-to- date band there was,etc...

Well I went in with downloaded copies of all this posters BS that he had stated and argued and ranted and raved:thumbdown: like I knew what I was talking about to my surgeon.

He very patiently let me go on and on, and then he gently and softly spoke to me about my fears, anxieties and questions and showed me proof that what the poster had said was not true at all.:smile: In fact by the time I left my very intelligent surgeons office, I was humbled & ashamed :thumbup: that I allowed just one persons expression of his opinion to make me look like an idiot. I am having surgery in a little over 2 weeks, and my surgeon will be placing the REALIZE band around my stomach!:smile2:

Get the facts ma'am, just the facts, and trust those of whom you respect to find your "truth" of which band is right for you. And don't forget to come back here and ask lots of questions too!:lol:

To add more confusion:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/how-do-i-know-what-brand-band-choose-54362/

Good Luck, and let us know which you decide on, ultimately it is your choice, and you have to live with it, no matter what anyone here says, so be comfortable with your choice.:frown:

Edited by GraciesMom

Thanks, everyone! Part of the reason I am having a hard time deciding if I even have a preference is that depending on whose website you visit (Allergan or J & J), they both seem to make convincing arguements for why theirs is the better band. On the one hand, I can see how Allergan's design would be beneficial in that there is complete uniformity around the stomach, but at the same time, I completely understand the benfit of a high volume, low-pressure system like the REALIZE band. Just when I think I've made my mind up about one, I do a little more research about the other and then start thinking "hmm....maybe I don't want that one after all....maybe I really want THIS one..." I think that ultimately, the end results are similar so I should probably just go with whichever surgeon I decide to go with prefers.

I think that they are probably both as good as each other. You should pick the surgeon rather than the band and go with the surgeon that you feel most comfortable with.

People with the Realize band seem to have to have more Fluid in than people with the Lapband before they feel restriction.( Not saying this is good or bad).

Both have good online support. Although Realize promote their website and support as a selling point if you actually go into Lapbands site and join my Lapband Journey there is good support there too.

Whatever you decide do make sure that your surgeon uses the latest band available. I believe there are some surgeons that use older bands as they are using up old stock. I know i wouldn't be happy with this - I want the latest , most improved etc etc product that is currently available.

Whatever you decide good luck .

I let my Doc decide. We discussed it before surgery and he said he usually does 50/50. He said there is really no difference in the way they work they just look a little different.

Day of my surgery I still had no idea what band I was getting. When I woke up I asked and I had the Lap Band. That was 9/29 and I have lost 24 pounds so far.

Well, after much deliberation, I'm just going to go with the surgeon I like best, and once he gets me open, he can decide what to go with then. I'm literally trusting this man with my life, I guess I can trust him to put the right band in my body.

I decided after tons of research and delibiration to go with the Realize band. My opinion is that you are comparing apples to apples. Sure they have some minor differences but not enough to sway me one way or the other. Some jackass spent quite a while trashing the realize band on this site and would have you believe that the Lap Band is a gift from the gods. Bottom line is they both work and are good, quality products.

Good Luck,

Greg

Well, after much deliberation, I'm just going to go with the surgeon I like best, and once he gets me open, he can decide what to go with then. I'm literally trusting this man with my life, I guess I can trust him to put the right band in my body.

Please Abby, do not guess, PLEASE feel 100% comfortable with your choice of surgeons, not depending on someone who you eeney, meany mineey moe choose.

There are so many obstacles you must tackle with this surgery, it is VITAL that you feel you trust your surgeon

thoroughly.

Best of everything to you, we are all rooting for ya :)!

I decided after tons of research and delibiration to go with the Realize band. My opinion is that you are comparing apples to apples. Sure they have some minor differences but not enough to sway me one way or the other. Some jackass spent quite a while trashing the realize band on this site and would have you believe that the LAP-BAND® is a gift from the gods. Bottom line is they both work and are good, quality products.

Good Luck,

Greg

:):lol::cursing:

I think you and I perhaps are refering to the same poster!

Your term of Jackass" cracks me up!

I was able to choose too. After reading about both bands and seeing the comparisons etc, as we are walking into surgery, I told him, you choose you are the expert not me. What will work best with my body. So Monday I will find out what I got LOL