Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so worried I am going to get sick!

I am scheduled to have my surgery a week from Wednesday. We assume my dd had H1N1 and now it appears that my son does too. I'm soooo worried I am going to end up sick and not be able to have my surgery! I have the week off from work and all that. It will be a mess. Keep your fingers crossed that I stay healthy, pls.

Sorry to say this, but I think its a damn shame that you are more worried about you not getting sick in order to be able to have a surgery that can easily be rescheduled. You should be more focused on your sick family and hoping they bounce back from this nasty bug. Good luck to you and I hope your family recovers soon. Surgery dates will always be available-you do realize people have been dying from this sickness...hard to get them back.

I am scheduled to have my surgery a week from Wednesday. We assume my dd had H1N1 and now it appears that my son does too. I'm soooo worried I am going to end up sick and not be able to have my surgery! I have the week off from work and all that. It will be a mess. Keep your fingers crossed that I stay healthy, pls.

Thanks for the prayers SwanGal!

MrsG, it does not seem that you are sorry to say that at all. You seem to enjoy your high horse just fine.

This is a forum for concerns about lap band surgery, so I thought it would be an appropriate place to share one of my concerns regarding my sugery. Why would you automatically assume the worst? You don't know me and have no idea how my children are doing, how mild of a case they may have had and/or how I've been caring for them. I work in the medical field, so yes, of course, I realize people have died from H1N1, as would anyone who watches the news.

Sorry to say this, but I think its a damn shame that you are more worried about you not getting sick in order to be able to have a surgery that can easily be rescheduled. You should be more focused on your sick family and hoping they bounce back from this nasty bug. Good luck to you and I hope your family recovers soon. Surgery dates will always be available-you do realize people have been dying from this sickness...hard to get them back.

I think that all things being put in prospective Mrs.G, most people who actually die from the H1N1 have underlying physical problems, and that there are many other types of seasonal illnesses out there that can be a cause for concern.

Moxi,like myself is simply worried about catching "ANYTHING" that would delay our oh so close surgeries.

For you to assume that Moxi is not concerned about family members is a huge leap, and as Moxi stated, this is a forum where we are suppose to be voicing our questions and concerns about our lap band journeys. Yes , our surgeries could be rescheduled, but hey, we have all worked hard for our surgery dates, we have earned them, and any delays would be severely disappointing, that should be understood.

Moxi, I am sooo with you about not catching anything, it is so close now, a vaccine would not be to our advantage,I wouldn't have one anyway (just my personal opinion),

So I`ll keep my fingers crossed that we all stay healthy and get through this awful flu season healthy and hail, and a lot thinner!:drool:

Moxi, I have my fingers crossed.

Good for you for very tactfully standing up for yourself against an unprovoked attack!

I would suggest washing your hands constantly! I work in a children's hospital and I have many many patients with ILI (Influenza like symptoms) and we also have H1N1 positive patients. Not everyone who has symptoms has the swine strain of the flu. If they don't do a nasal pharangeal swab and send to the CDC for testing it is NOT swine flu.

But that being said ... wash your hands. That is really the best thing you can do. I wear a mask going into rooms and I purell constantly. I too am having surgery next week on the 12th and I am concerned about getting sick prior to my date.

I agree with you being concerned. This surgery is a long awaited and planned for procedure and you want to get started on the road to recovery and well being so to anyone who can't see that concern too bad. :scared2:

:drool:

Thanks ladies. I've ben washing my hands like crazy and at work we have purell and lysol everywhere. I'm hoping that I have some immunity built up from somewhere. So far so good....sending healthy vibes to you all~~~~~~~

Good luck on your upcoming surgeries ladies you are all in my prayers.

Hey Moxi, Calling Ms. Moxi, where are you? :lol:

How are you, how did things go?

Come back, come back wherever you are.

We want to hear how things went, and if you fought off the bad flu bugs for surgery. :w00t:

Hi Gracie's mom! I'm still around. I managed to not get sick and was banded this past Wednesday. I felt terrible on Thursday, but all and all things went well and I feel much better now. Looking into getting my flu shot next week. :w00t:

I see your surgery is coming up soon...will be here before you know it. If I don't "see" you before then, good luck!

Edited by Moxi

Sooo glad to hear you are doing well. There are so many posts here that scare the bejeepers out of me claiming such pain and agony after surgery, by heart and mind loves to wrap themselfs around good reports like yours. My surgery is a week away, and the fear factor is really creeping in, not about the surgery itself so much, but about the after effects.

I don't plan on having the shot as I stated earlier (just my choice), but please be aware, many of my fellow students (not all) at college that got the shot did develop flu like symptoms, so be sure your tummy can handle a few coughs or two.

Continued good health with this journey, and I sincerely hope you continue on your new lifes path with the greatest of success!

I'm just getting the plain old flu shot not the H1N1. I work in health care and around kids so I get it every year. I really want to avoid vomiting now. They actually offered to gove it to me as I was being discharged from the hospital...the day after my surgery!! I declined. I don't think my poor bod was ready for that at that point.

From my own experience and reading others herer it seems like people all have different reactions to the surgery. Probably your age and health level influences how well you bounce back. The day after was a bit rough for me, as I had nausea, some vomitting and diarrhea but it's been essentially smooth sailing from there. I was really worried about gas pain but I had none, at all. I didn't take any of the pain medicine they sent home with me. The only pain I have is from the "big" incision on my belly. It's not terrible pain, just wound type pain that hurts when I bend over. So it's very tolerable. Try not to worry. :w00t:

I had my surgery on the 13th and had to stay overnight in the hospital. I had a hard time waking up and was in a lot of pain. I am much better today and I'm not a wimp with pain so I was very surprised by this. I told my doctor while I was in the hospital that this had better make me skinny! lol

As far as the flu shots goes I declined it at work, I'm a Cna in a hospital. However, while reading my discharge papers they have me the flue and pnemonia shot while I was there. I didn't ask for it or authorize it.