Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with the weightloss - no restriction

I was banded on August 26th and lost 20 pounds in the first month. I was working out and doing good. About 3 days before my first fill I started to feel hungry and it would take a lot to give me a full feeling. When I got my fill the nurse was reluctant to give me a fill because she thought I was losing the weight fast. After much discussion she gave me 1cc. She also told me that I was exercising too much. So I cut back on the exercising and after the second day of the fill I did not have any feeling of restriction. That was a month ago. I have my second fill scheduled for November 10th. I tired to get the appointment moved up but they could not fit me in any earlier. I am really struggling and at this point have actually put on 3 pounds. Anyone have any guidance for me?

This is slow process, you will get there. From what I understand you will get to your sweet spot and The wieght will melt off. Keep up your excersie. Good luck.

I am a little farther along than you, in fact about exactly 1 month. My surgery was 7/27/09. Anyway, my surgeons very carefull about fills. I thought if I could just make it to my first fill, I would know restriction, but I was wrong. He explainned that too much of a fill, too soon could cause more damage in the long run. He does what he calls 1, 2, 3. He does 1 cc on first 2cc on 2nd and 3 cc on 3rd. He wants you to really understand Portion Control and getting used to what you can and can't tolerate, so I think he is a wise man and at times get very frusterated cuz like I said, I'm like 3 months post op and don't have complete restriction and my weight loss has slowed, so next week is my 3rd fill and that will be the true test of restriction. (According to my surgeon) Dont know if that helps at all but maybe another persons journey. Okay so keep up the good work.:scared2:

I was banded on August 26th and lost 20 pounds in the first month. I was working out and doing good. About 3 days before my first fill I started to feel hungry and it would take a lot to give me a full feeling. When I got my fill the nurse was reluctant to give me a fill because she thought I was losing the weight fast. After much discussion she gave me 1cc. She also told me that I was exercising too much. So I cut back on the exercising and after the second day of the fill I did not have any feeling of restriction. That was a month ago. I have my second fill scheduled for November 10th. I tired to get the appointment moved up but they could not fit me in any earlier. I am really struggling and at this point have actually put on 3 pounds. Anyone have any guidance for me?

It is essential to get the right restriction. Until this happens, you essentially don' t have the help of the band. This has been my experience. Everyone on this board told me the same thing I just told you. I just couldn't get any restriction....until last week. FINALLY! FINALLY! Geez, I didn't think we would ever get there. I now have 5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I have some restriction FINALLY. I had ZERO up to this point. I'm unsure if I have enough restriction. I can still comfortably eat more than 1/2 a cup of food. It is just such an improvement over the first 2 months! I also understand that as you get closer to your "sweet spot", the adjustments to your fill level will get smaller and smaller. For example, the difference between the sweet spot and not enough Fluid could be .2 cc's! It doesn't sound like you are where you need to be restriction-wise. Keep after them until you get what you need in your band. I did that. It was a long process (they would do a fill every 2 weeks) from 0 cc's to 5 cc's. Good luck to you!

eat rather small meals five or six times daily,of really healthy foods-- think fruits and veggies and whole grains, take three to five short walks a day, (both will contribute to kicking up your metabolic rate), and drink more Water, do not eat after 6pm.

just don't expect overnight miracles here to know more on this visit :-Easy Natural Weight Loss

You are doing GREAT!! Don't be in such a rush to lose it all at once....it will take time and when you get to that sweet spot you will know....its taken me 8 months to get to mine. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the feedback. I just got my second fill of .5cc two days ago and was worried about not having enough of a fill. However, I have had a small issue with almost having soft food get stuck so logically I know the band is tighter. This causes me to eat slower; I just wish I would see more of a hinderance on my appetite.

I was also banded on 8/26 and lost 23 lbs immediately after, but now for 5 weeks nothing. I have started an exercise program, but I am not losing. I also have no restriction after 1 fill. I go for my 2nd fill on Monday, but I am so afraid I will be scolded by my doc since I haven't lost any. For me right now since I have no restriction it is like being on a diet and obviously I don't do well with diets or I wouldn't have needed the band. I struggle every day and am quite depressed over this. I would be happy with 1 or 2 lbs a week, but not this. I feel your frustration and I hope for both of us that we find this sweet spot and start losing again.

LAP-BAND® 8-26-09 and 4Kiddosmom, I also was banded on 8-26-09 to date have had 2 fills 1.5 cc each. I have not experienced any restriction also. I have lost 40 pounds to date. But in the last couple weeks I've only lost 1/2 to 1 pound a week. I get very depressed over this and I know as my doctor puts it "you're in a marathon you will finish but there will be hurdles before you finish." I understand that but it still gets very frustrating. :biggrin: I am able to eat breads, rice and Pasta nothing gets stuck (thankfully) I eat smaller portions but I sometimes feel like I stop even though I feel like I could eat more. Maybe the next fill will be my "sweet spot." (11/27/09) We've just got to hang in there and know the weight is going to start dropping again. And we will finish the race!:tt2:

I'm with you guys on the weightloss...I too was banded in August, on the 10th. To date I have only lost 26 pounds which includes the weight I loss from the presurgery diet. I can only manage to loose about a half a pound a week. It is sooo frustrating!:blink: I have had a fill every 2 weeks since a month after my surgery and am up to 6ccs in a 10cc band. I have just now starting to feel restriction, but havent lost any weight. I think it would help me if I only knew who much I should be eating at a setting.:biggrin: I keep getting conflicting statements...sometimes 10oz at others a half or full cup? I dont know if I'll ever get this weight loss thing right!:tt2:

Edited by jenriley

Well I now have 6 cc in my 10 cc band and boy can I tell a difference. I just got my fill yesterday and I am really tight and have definite restriction. I can drink, but it definitely goes down slower than before. I have to be on liquids for 2 days before I go to soft foods. I am almost scared b/c it is really tight just drinking I can't imagine eating at this point. This is what I wanted to feel. I hope this means I am on the road to losing again. Good luck to the rest of you.