Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone taking Synthroid after banding?

I have been banded for a little over 3 months. Just went to the Dr. for blood test he put me on Synthroid for Hypothyroidism. I have only been on it for 4 days but this week I lost no weight when I almost always lose 2 lbs, BUT the bad news is I gained a pound instead of losing

I was wondering if people who are taking it are losing weight? I know I need to take it the med, but I am trying to lose weight. Anyone have any input? Thanks!!

I have been banded for a little over 3 months. Just went to the Dr. for blood test he put me on Synthroid for Hypothyroidism. I have only been on it for 4 days but this week I lost no weight when I almost always lose 2 lbs, BUT the bad news is I gained a pound instead of losing

I was wondering if people who are taking it are losing weight? I know I need to take it the med, but I am trying to lose weight. Anyone have any input? Thanks!!

I will NEVER take Syntroid again. About 2 years ago my endo doctor gave me Syntroid to take and that medication made me gain over 50lbs and it was one of the reasons I had to get my Gastric Bypass. I would not take it unless you REALLY need it.

I have been taking synthroid for hypothyroidism for about 15 years. I was banded almost 4 weeks ago and I have lost about 20 pounds(that includes pre-op diet). I was always told that it should help you lose weight. My weight has been all over the place in the last 15 years, so I can't say if it helps or hurts weight loss. I also have PCOS which makes it harder to lose weight.

I've also taken Synthroid for many years and it should help you lose weight because you have a sluggish thyroid to begin with. The synthroid help to get your TSH back in an acceptable range. Not sure why you are gaining weight instead of losing...it doesn't really make much sense. Possible that your dosage isn't quite correct and I'm really not sure how long it takes for the medication to work in your system. It has never really affected my weight loss no matter what kind of diet I've been on. You may want to consult with your family doc or band doc on this one.

I have been on Synthroid for 15 years. I take 300mcg per day and I take the brand name, not generic. I can tell you that when my levels are wacky, my weight rises but weight loss is also slower when you have this problem. The best thing you can do for yourself is to see a Endo doctor. They deal with the thyroid and diabetes all the time.

Right now, my levels are in great shape and I am losing weight just as my doctor wants me too. 1-2 pounds a week.

Do NOT ignore this medical problem and not take the medicine. That is a little stupid. When you have a medical problem, you need to address it and do what is necessary. Any time you have problems with the thyroid, it can be very serious. I've had patients that didn't take their meds and would be put on my psych unit because they were thought to be crazy & out of control. I've had them so down in depression that they couldn't get up or function at all. So, all of this said, please make sure you keep up with your levels and get some good advice from a doctor that is experienced in this disease.

Good luck.

Edited by LollyMoe
mis spelling

I have been on synthroid for 19 years. You definitely need to take it if your thyroid is under active. It can cause other issues as well. When you first start taking synthroid it may take several months for you to find the right dose and even see a difference. Do you remember what your TSH level was? When I miss a couple days of my medication I can feel a difference. I'm really tired and lazy. I don't think your 1 pounds gain has anything to do with the synthroid. It really hasn't had time to work.

Thank you all for your responses. My Dr. said I really needed to be on this. I have been so tired the last 6 months I felt like something might be really wrong. I also suffer from clinical depresssion so if this will help I want to take it. I was just worried about not being able to lose weight.

This is the first pound I have gained up since surgery. My Dr. knows I have the band and we talked about and he said it would not make me gain but might make it easier to lose. But that one pound freaked me out along with the fact that I did not lose the 2 lbs I usually lose a week. He also told me to take 500 mg Niacin to take away any side effects of the synthroid. I am taking only 50mcg for 3 months and go back for blood test again to check. You have all made me feel better. I will give it more than 4 days to do it's stuff. But I do feel better today more alert By the way my TSH was 4.600 not that I know what that means.

Your Dr will most likely do more blood work in a few months. If it has not chnaged he may up it. I was on synthroid prior to my band about 2years. I was at 88mcg at surgury, as my wt came off I have ajusted back down two times, now at the 33. Be careful when you skip these , once you start you need to continue. I have heard that some people that use the Generica as opposed to the brand name have different results. I am on the generic and seems to keep my levels on even keel. I am 21 months( 1 yr 9mths) out from surgery. down 65 lbs. I have ten more pounds to go. I have been at a stand still for a few months , but I am very healthy, active. Make small goals dont try to rush , you have a lot of re-learning on this new eating thing.:thumbup:

I think your one pound gain was just a coincidence. when your throid gland is slow or sluggish that's when you tend to gain weight. The synthroid will put your TSH level back where it's supposed to be. It helps regulate your metabolism. It won't cause you to lose weight, but it will make it much easier to do so. You DO NOT GAIN weight when adding synthroid for hypothyroidism. If someone has gained weight as a result of this, they have other health issues that haven't been identified. Don't mess around with this. The thyroid controls many things in our systems. One that is out of whack can cause severe depression and emotional distress. Before I was diagnosed, I was like a zoo animal. (MY poor husband) My neighbor across the street came VERY close to dying before she found out she had a thyroid problem. You can experience Hair loss, menstrual problems, fatigue, blood pressure issues, etc. Two weeks after I started taking it, I felt like a completely new and different person. I got my life back. since I've lost a good deal of weight, I've been able to reduce my dose. I went from 150 mg. to 112 mg. but I know I'll never be able to quit taking it completely. Make sure you check your levels twice a year from now on. I don't think I would have been successful losing my weight had I not gotten this issue under control.

I feel so much better hearing all this. I will be sure to follow all your advice as it does match what my Dr. said too. I am just happy I won't have to work double hard to lose the weight. Also I was tired of being tired all the time. I knew something was really wrong with me. I am glad to know what it is.

A few things that people above have said are true if your numbers are off then it can make you gain if there not right it will help with your energy and that overly tired feeling you have.

Do you mean if he did not start me off on the right dose it could make me gain?

Hi all Synthroid is suppose to increase your weight loss. Question Are you taking it on an empty stomach with Water and waiting at least 30min to an hour before you eat. If not it's not going to work. I also suppose to be taking synthroid. I haven't taken it since surgery. I need to start taking it again. Thanks for the reminder.

I am sure your doctor prescribed synthroid because you needed it. It would be irresponsible for a doctor to prescribe it otherwise. Synthroid can increase your appetite. But it also can increase your metabolism.

I have been on synthroid for almost 28 years. Initially I gained 14 pounds. Because my appetite increased. But I have been able to lose 75 pounds in the last 3-4 years.

If you need synthroid and don't take it, you could die. It is that important. Talk to your doctor about this. You might need to adjust your diet, reduce your calories or increase exercise. Good luck.

Hi all Synthroid is suppose to increase your weight loss. Question Are you taking it on an empty stomach with Water and waiting at least 30min to an hour before you eat. If not it's not going to work. I also suppose to be taking synthroid. I haven't taken it since surgery. I need to start taking it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes I am taking it on an empty stomach with a full glass of Water and waiting at least an hour before eating anything. Thanks!