Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Koppman & Dr. Marema in St. Augustine

Hi -

Has anyone been banded by these doctors in St. Augustine. They are supposed to be a great group (US Bariatrics) but I have not been able to find any chats going about them. I am curious to hear from thier patients. I have been to the seminar. I have also been to the support nutrition group for Dr. Cywes (by accident, thought I was attending the seminar but got it wrong - though it was a great experience:thumbup:) I will be self-pay. Would love to hear from you. Thanks

I haven't heard of them. But I'm in Jacksonville and was banded by Dr. Baptista (Dr. Cwyes partner) and I love this group! They are very supportive.

Thanks BethL....The office you use is actually one of my top choices right now. They are a little far for me since I am in St. Augustine. Maybe you saw me (and my husband) at the meeting we hi-jacked:wink2:. My ins won't cover it so I will be self-pay. Do you know anything about the chareges for fills and what not with them? How have you done so far?

It surprises me that Dr. Koppman and Marema are not mentioned much on here because they say they were rated #1 with ObiesityHelp.magazine or something like that. Do you know of any other support websites (other than OH.com) Thanks for the info. I look forward to tracking your progress.:thumbup:

My surgery was covered through my insurance so I'm not sure what the charges are when you are self pay. I had my surgery on 8/12 and I've lost 18 lbs so far (averaging 2lbs a week). It's not as much as a lot of people on the site but considering I only have 70lbs to loose I'm happy with the progress. If you have any questions you can send me a private message. You can also search the site for Jacksonville Florida and there are a couple of threads where people talk about their docs.

I am getting surgery by Dr Marema on Dec. 19th. I like him. He knows what its like to battle with weight as he has had gastric surgery too.

Wow! I FINALLY get to talk to someone from St. Augustine. Thanks so much for the reply. I will be getting band sometime in January by Dr. Kopmann. I have never had an opportunity to meet Dr. Marema. I am sure he is nice as I have heard nothing but nice things about him. I have been curious as well about what I should be eating and the changes I need to make before and after surgery. I am self-pay and as soon as I get the financing set up, I can start all of my appointments.

I can't wait to follow your progress. Best of luck! And keep posting.

Yeah, I just found this site not too long ago. I recommend attending the free seminar Flagler has every month. Dr Marema hosts it and explains sooooo much. I like Dr. Marema cause he's also a bariatric patient so he knows all too well about the struggles.

This week is my appointments week. I have my psych, nutrition and surgical appts then Monday I spend all day at the hospital getting poked, pricked and prodded but I am ready!

I met Dr. Marema in 2007. Upfront, he was very nice. Before I booked my LAP BAND surgery, the office was responsive to my questions and concerns and seemed to care. Dr. Marema performed the surgery at Celebration Hosp. I was discharged and NEVER heard from the office again. Dr. Marema nor any of his staff called to check in on me. I never even saw Dr. Marema in the hospital for post-op visit (rounds). A few days later I called with some concerns and told the office I wish they would have given me a courtesy call to see how I was doing. My husband is a doctor and ALWAYS calls his patients post surgery. Fast forward three years, I had a complication with the band (slippage) and it needed to come out. Dr. Marema's office hours are terrible and no longer has hospital priveledges in Orlando. When I had my complication I had to either drive to St. Augustine to see him (I was in no condition to do so) or wait 2 weeks. The nurse was less than helpful and even rude. She told me I was "overreacting, and that I should just stop panicing". 24 hours later I was in the hospital with dehydration. Since the band has come out (30 days ago) I have tried to call Dr. Marema to ask some questions. I was informed yesterday HE DOES NOT TAKE PATIENT CALLS UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY. I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE AN APPT TO ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION. Furthermore, since I dont have the band placed they dont consider me a patient in the practice!! Even though I had a lap band 30 days ago and I was considering a revision surgery. I am very frusterated with the lack of patient care and concern. I have given this office so many chances and every time I am disappointed. By the way, I NEVER have left a negative review of any professional. Being that my husband is a doctor- I am very sensitive to patients being difficult. I assure you that I was a very reasonable patient. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT USE THIS OFFICE.

. I was discharged and NEVER heard from the office again. Dr. Marema nor any of his staff called to check in on me. I never even saw Dr. Marema in the hospital for post-op visit (rounds). A few days later I called with some concerns and told the office I wish they would have given me a courtesy call to see how I was doing.

Dr. Marema's office hours are terrible and no longer has hospital priveledges in Orlando. When I had my complication I had to either drive to St. Augustine to see him (I was in no condition to do so) or wait 2 weeks. The nurse was less than helpful and even rude. She told me I was "overreacting, and that I should just stop panicing". 24 hours later I was in the hospital with dehydration. Since the band has come out (30 days ago) I have tried to call Dr. Marema to ask some questions. I was informed yesterday HE DOES NOT TAKE PATIENT CALLS UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY. I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE AN APPT TO ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION. Furthermore, since I dont have the band placed they dont consider me a patient in the practice!! Even though I had a LAP-BAND® 30 days ago and I was considering a revision surgery. I am very frusterated with the lack of patient care and concern. I have given this office so many chances and every time I am disappointed. By the way, I NEVER have left a negative review of any professional. Being that my husband is a doctor- I am very sensitive to patients being difficult. I assure you that I was a very reasonable patient. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT USE THIS OFFICE.

Wow - that really surprises me. I have had nothing but a good experience with the office. All of the staff have been friendly and helpful. I was visited by Dr. Koppman before I was released from the hospital. They did not call me to check on me but I did not expect them too. I was expected to and told many times to call if I had any questions or concerns. I have not had too many issues come up medically but I have been working with some of the girls in the office on another issue and they have been helpful. I have only had one doctor in my life time return my phone call personally due to emergency (blood clot situation). I am sure that most doctors don't do this.

I did not know that they no longer have an office in Celebration but they do in Lake Mary. I am not sure of the hours nor am I sure if they do surgeries in that area (I have never had to go there).

How did your band work for you over those three years? And how are you doing now? Why did you have it removed for slippage? Will you have it replaced? (Just curious for future)

It seems our experiences have been completely different but I am only 2 months out.

Best of luck to you.

I had success with the band but I learned to deal with the discomfort. I was very tolerant of the vomiting, acid, weird sounds coming from my throat/belly..because I was losing weight and that was the goal. I was about 184 pounds before the surgery and at the time they took out my band (slippage) I was 133 pounds. I was really sick when they took it out and hadnt eaten normal foods for awhile and was down to just liquids (which I was regurgitating as well). I began to even vomit my saliva. I was running to the bathroom 3-4 times a night. But I did lose more than I ever have and I dont regret having the band placed. My only regret is my decision to have Dr. Marema be my doctor. I am not demanding but I think it is in good taste to have someone call me to follow up right after the surgery. Especially since I didnt see him at all even in the hospital post-surgery.

I dont believe they have offices in Lake Mary. I was told that they only see patients in the Sand Lake Orlando location and St. Augustine. Dr. Koppman was nice- I only met him at the end of my journey. He was the one I saw who admitted me to the hospital for dehydration and said the band should come out. THe slippage was diagnosed by a upper GI. Anyway, I hope my experience is atypical of that office. I just felt compelled to share my experience.

I will not be considering revision at this time. I would NEVER go back to Dr. Marema's office and I would not recommend him to anyone (not even my worst enemy). I am really curious as to why Dr. Kim no longer practices with him. I am doing my best to manage my weight myself. My primary doctor has prescribed Phentermine as an appetite suppresant and that seems to help. Good luck with you on your new adventure. Hopefully you are satisfied with the care you receive.