Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one band at 200 lbs - Im wondering if this is right for me?

Thanks for asking that question b/c I'm 195lbs. and my surgery date is Oct 15th. I've had a friend who was this weight and had great results. 50lbs in 1 year.

I'm scheduled for 10-29 but so many people say that I don't weigh enough. I really want to hear from those who are at our size.

Please comments welcome.

Can anyone who did this at my size comment on their results?

I was 218 @ 5' 3" in Jan. 2009 when my PCP made the referral to the bariatric surgeon. By the time I finished all of the pre-op requirements of my surgeon I was 200 exactly on surgery day Aug. 11, 2009. Since that time I have lost 21 pounds with a band that was completely empty upon installation. Will get my first fill this Thursday Oct. 8, 2009. I have not for one minute regretted doing this. I have had a weight problem since I was a child. I have done weight watchers countless times, beginning at the age of 12. I have weighed as much as 230 and as little as 155 in my adult life. For me, the band will hopefully be just the tool I need to not only lose the weight, but to keep it off for good this time. There is a forum somewhere on here for low BMI bandsters, you might find useful info there as well. Best of luck to you!

I weighed 194 when I had my band put in on June 5th. I am down to 163 and loving it. I feel much better and have much more energy. I love walking and hiking now. Weight is coming off slow now (about 1 lb a week) but it isn't hard at all. I'm glad I did it!

:frown:

I weighed 273 lbs & got down to 127.87 lbs in about 16 months. That was 7 yrs ago. I sat at 132.28 for a long time & have slowly gone up to 154 lbs over time. I've been steady at that for months now. I'd like to get back down to 132 lbs, but need to up the exercising. I'm 41 and 5ft 6 and a half. The lapband has changed my life for the better. When my efforts failed me, it saved me. Good luck.

I am just a bit over 200lb and I am scheduled 10-13-09....oh so excited!!! I hope to get down to 125lb

I am 5'9 and weighed 241 pounds. I was also told by several people that I didn't look like I weighed enough to warrant having weight loss surgery, but being tall only hid my true weight. I went ahead and had the surgery and I've lost 22 pounds since I was banded 3 weeks ago. Already, my knees don't hurt as much, I feel better about myself and I can even see a change in my shape. Whether your 200 pounds or 300 pounds, you have to do what's right for you. I wish you the best!

i had the realize band on august 19th. i weighed 220 and am 5'7. i now am at 200 lbs. i just had my first fill on oct. 1st. this is not magic. you have to make right choices with food and get exercise. i don't regret any of it. i think people with lower bmi's have to work a little more with the exercise part and the weight comes off a little slower because we don't have as much to lose. good luck! lisa6

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all of your comments. I am still scared to death and think there is a chance I may back out. I'm so mad that I can't do this on my own.

It scares me to think if something goes wrong - being self pay I would go broke.

FtCampbell - I would love to know who did your band and how much it cost. I assume being 194 you were probably a self pay also?

I am close to Fort Campbell myself. Would love to have you to talk to when I am freaking out.

I am considering this procedure ( after a life time of diets ) at 185.

how tall are you?

I was 218 @ 5' 3" in Jan. 2009 when my PCP made the referral to the bariatric surgeon. By the time I finished all of the pre-op requirements of my surgeon I was 200 exactly on surgery day Aug. 11, 2009. Since that time I have lost 21 pounds with a band that was completely empty upon installation. Will get my first fill this Thursday Oct. 8, 2009. I have not for one minute regretted doing this. I have had a weight problem since I was a child. I have done weight watchers countless times, beginning at the age of 12. I have weighed as much as 230 and as little as 155 in my adult life. For me, the band will hopefully be just the tool I need to not only lose the weight, but to keep it off for good this time. There is a forum somewhere on here for low BMI bandsters, you might find useful info there as well. Best of luck to you!

My story is almost the same as yours, I was at my highest weight ever @ 219 and have now lost 18 lbs after being banded only 3 wks. I have rode the diet rollercoaster my whole life and I love my band. I am 50 years old and I did this so that I can be around for my granddaughters.

I was 218 LBS & 5'1 with a BMI of 42, just 6 months ago. Now...BMI of about 29 and I am at 151 LBS. I have lost 67lbs in 6 months and am just 21lbs from goal. I have gone from a size 18 to a 10...in 6 short months! So, yes even though you may have a smaller BMI, you can do it!! If you feel deep down that this time is your time to change, anything is possible. Good luck! :thumbup: