Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Blockage and emergency unfill!

Hi people,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would share my recent nightmare with you all. I'm from the UK and was banded in Belgium on 28th July 2009. I got my first fill on the 3rd September, where 3ml were put in and everything was going fine. The only problem was that I could still eat too much and felt I didn't have enough restriction.

Then, on Monday night, early hours of Tuesday morning (29th September) disaster struck:ohmy: I was up the whole night with breathing difficulties, a horrible tightness and pain in my chest and pins and needles all over my hands, arms, feet and legs. I was taken to accident and emergency on Tuesday morning and whilst there, I couldn't breathe and started to hyperventilate. I explained to the Doctors that I had a gastric band and felt as if there was a blockage as I had severe pain in my chest bone and felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Nonetheless, they disregarded this and told me I was having an allergic reaction to the Armour thyroid medication I had taken that morning. They sent me home with instructions to take up yoga and relax more:blink:

So, when I got home the saga continued. Not only did the chest pain and pressure on my chest get worse, but I couldn't drink small amounts of Water without feeling as if I was going to explode and I was too terrified to eat incase I caused the blockage to get worse.

So, I was back to the emergency doctor on Wednesday night at 10pm, where I hyperventilated again and had another panic attack. This doctor agreed that my band was too tight and there was likely to be a blockage but refused to take any saline out as he didn't know enough about it.

To cut a long story short, I was admitted to hospital on Wednesday night with severe chest pain and by this time my stomach looked as if I was 9 months pregnant. The consultant in the hospital informed me that they would give me a barium swallow, as x rays had shown my band had moved slightly. I advised him that I needed it unfilled immediately as I couldn't breathe and felt all my organs were being squashed. He told me that they weren't going to poke around unnecessarily to take out saline when they didn't have to:scared2: He then informed me that my chest pains were due to my panic attacks:cursing: This nearly brought on another panic attack as I was terrified that they wouldn't unfill it and I wouldn't be able to breathe again.

The consultant then informed me on Thursday that I would be transferred to Glasgow on Friday afternoon as an outpatient to get my band unfilled but they would keep me in on Thursday night. He admitted that they don't know anything about gastric bands and said I was no longer getting a barium swallow:sad: I was disappointed about this as I wanted peace of mind that everything was okay and the band was where it should be but I was in too much pain and distress to argue. I was regularly given diazepam and morphine whilst in the hospital and never ate for 5 days!!! I could only drink small sips of Water during this time and even then, felt like I was going to burst. I also hyperventilated another couple of times and never slept for 4 days as I was too scared I wouldn't get a breath when I was lying down.

So, Friday afternoon came and I was transferred to the Glasgow hospital and I was informed that I would have to pay £100 for an unfill, even though I had been referred as an outpatient by the NHS. They then tried to take the money from me before my unfill, even though it was clear I couldn't breathe and had a paper bag with me in the waiting room:eek:

Anyway, the consultant took out 5ml from my band, which was very confusing as I had only ever had 3ml put in on my first fill and no saline put in during surgery!!!After I enquired to the surgeon who put in my LAP-BAND® why I had 5ml in my band, he advised that the band is washed during surgery and sometimes saline can collect in the band from this! Did anyone ever here of this happening before? My band is only meant to hold 10ml so I dread to think what may have happened if I reached 10ml in fills but it was actually 12ml because I had saline left in from surgery. I'm also terrified that there may be even more than 2ml left in from surgery as the consultant who took out the 5ml doesn't know if there was more in my band.

After the unfill, it has taken a while for me to feel better and to be honest, I still feel as if I'm going to explode if I drink 500ml of water. It's only been 2 days since the unfill though and they said it would take time to get back to normal. My stomach is still badly swollen and my chest still feels uncomfortable, although I can breathe much better. I haven't managed a bowel movement in 5 days and have been terrified to eat again incase I have another blockage. I can honestly say this has been the scariest and most terrifying experience of my life and if I'd known that a blockage and tight band could stop you breathing properly, I don't think I would ever have went through with this. I am a singer and can't afford for my breathing to be messed up because of a gastric band. Also, these are the first panic attacks I have ever experienced in my life and I'm 35. I don't think I'll get another fill for months now as I'm way too scared:scared2:

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if they have had similar experiences and I'd also welcome any advice and support you can give.

Many thanks in advance,

Skinny minny 35

Edited by skinny minny 35

WOW, I am so sorry you had to go through that.

I have had a few "blocked" incidence and it HURTS!

Take your time on the fills and get them when you are ready. Ask them to go slow on the fills. My doc is not very aggressive as he wants to give time to get used to the band. I have 5 ccs in a 9 cc band and just now feel as if I have restriction.

I hope that you recover quickly. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Try Mirilax for the Constipation. It mixes with a small amount of Water and has no taste. You'll have a normal movement within 24 hrs. Good Luck and take care!!!

Can i make a suggestion? Next time you go in for a fill, have them empty the band completely and measure the amount of saline in you, then refill you. This is what my doctor does every time, and its to watch for leaks or irregularities.

Be strong about this - this is YOUR body and you are in control. Demand that your doctor put your safety first.

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for your helpful and supportive comments. I will definitely make sure that my surgeon empties my band completely before I get my next fill, as this makes sense and it's important that I know of any irregularities. My safety comes first and your comments have empowered me.

Thankyou sistas,

best wishes skinny minny 35

I'm so glad to hear that!! :thumbup: I get scared with my lapband sometimes too, but I'm one of those squeaky wheels that gets the grease kinda gals.

After all, we're literally putting our bodies and minds through the wringer with this procedure - we deserve nothing but the best care and the most focused attention :D

All the best to you!!!!

I'm new here and learning. Define what, "putting our minds and bodies through the wringer" and what it means personally to you. Describe it for me. I urge anyone to reply. Thanks to all.

For me it's been several months of emotional wringage. First, there was making the decision to have the surgery, after being overweight for over a decade. Trying every diet, spending thousands of dollars, and never loosing weight.

After the decision, it was the process of obtaining insurance approval. They made me jump through hoops for four months. sleep tests, EKG's, ultrasounds, weight checks, special diets, psychological exams...was exhausting.

Then came the approval. I went on a 2 week liquid Protein diet which was extremely difficult at first, and then got easier as i went on. I started feeling better and enjoying eating so healthy. Was still hungry, but i was determined to do this, so i followed the diet to the letter.

The day of my surgery, I had a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic they gave me. I almost went into shock, but was treated fast enough to avoid it. Scared the daylights out of me. And my legs swelled up like balloons that night. And i developed thrush in my mouth (yeast infection) due to the antibiotic allergy.

And now, i'm 13 days post op. I'm swollen and look pregnant, can't wear my bras (omg they hurt - they're so tight), find pants and panties extremly tight, and still have bloating problems. I have to take Milk of Magnesia every night or i can't stay regular. Belches hurt!!! And because of the food that I now eat, my bodily eminations have a completely different, and conisiderably more offensive, odor (sorry, TMI, i know).

And mentally, it's exhausting. I'm dropping weight, which makes me very happy, but it's hard to stick to my diet. And i'm having issues learning when i'm actually full. And i have to deal with a well-meaning but overbearing family member who wants an almost minute by minute narration of my recovery and weight loss.

That about sums it up lol

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. Wouldn't you have notified your surgeon of your problems? Is he not local? My surgeon would have come to the hospital and attended to me, not a bunch of know nots who obviously caused you alot of discomfort and anxiety. Hearing your story makes me realize what a good group of doctors and follow-up care that I have access to.

That is frightening that they didn't know much about the band at all and you were left in agony not just for a few hours.. but for DAYS. Is your surgeon not local? That must be so scary, I'm sorry you had such an ordeal.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this pain and discomfort. All I can advise is to take one day at a time. I know thing seem bleak right now but in time, your swelling will go down and you'll start to see the benefits of the surgery. The road we have chosen was never going to be an easy one and it makes me so angry when people who know nothing about it say we have taken the easy way out!!! Hang in there coz it will be worth it in the end. And as for the family member, she sounds like an emotional vampire who is sucking all your strength and reserves at the moment even though she might mean well. Put yourself first and politely tell her you don't feel like talking about your symptoms but would rather focus on the positive aspects. Remember, this will pass. It is only a temporary blip and your body will intuitively come to terms with this and find a way to get over it. Be assertive and take care of number one. Good luck to you and let me know how you are getting on,xx

Edited by skinny minny 35

That message was for pffandamar by the way.