Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a problem -- bummed.

ACK! I'm scared... last night I didn't get a chance to eat until 8:45, and when I did, I started wolfing down my food. I know, I know -- I forgot because I was so darn hungry! And sure enough, what happens? I got stuck (it was whole wheat pizza) and suddenly I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom to throw up. (sorry tmi) Why, oh why didn't I learn from the darn scrambled eggs two weeks ago???? I'm kicking myself. So now I'm doing liquids today, in hopes that I can avoid swelling.

:lol:

This just makes me realize how careful we have to be at all times! I was feeling SO good after my unfill, enjoying food again, and I let myself get too hungry and bam! Too big of bites, too fast, and I'm stuck, stuck, stuck.

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't caused any damage... :thumbup:

Ann - Hope you are feeling better today....Was thinking of you as I had an episode last night after dinner....ATE TOO FAST.......DAMN that hurts......:)

I'm doing okay, now, knock on wood! No swelling or reflux this time. :thumbup: It is an awful feeling, isn't it, John? ugh. And to think, some people say that having WLS is taking the easy way out. HA! :sad:

I'm doing okay, now, knock on wood! No swelling or reflux this time. :thumbup: It is an awful feeling, isn't it, John? ugh. And to think, some people say that having WLS is taking the easy way out. HA! :tt2:

You are right. Awful, awful, awful......I find you can never, never let your guard down as you eat thinking it's ok not to chew or eating too fast. Ovwer time, we;ll get better at it and it should come second nature. I remind myself that I have to break 25 yrs of bad eaating habits. It will take time....

You're doing great....keep it up.....

SpideyMom:

I hope you feel better soon.

I have found that I have issues if I wait too many hours between meals. So, if I have lunch at noon'ish and can't have dinner before six I try to have a Cereal bar or fruit or something at around 4 o'clock to hold me over. It makes a late supper much easier if you have a healthy snack late afternoon.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You're on the LapBand learning curve. I'm still on the learning curve after two years.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I'm sure you most likely have not caused any damage, Ann. I have had a really hard time remembering to eat slowly, small bites, and chew thoroughly. And I've had SEVERAL instances of getting stuck and PBing/throwing up :eek: (mostly avoidable). When I'm stressed or can't eat until late I find I have the most problems. I need to learn to avoid eating at those times, or to eat very lightly or liquids. Recently I developed a mini-checklist to help me be more aware of proper Lap Band 'etiquette' so I can take better care of my band and myself. Take care - it's all part of learning to live with the Lap Band! :)

Well they backed me back to 5.75 after the fluoro and no more reflux, but the leak is still leaking so my restricton is like a roller coaster.. I go in on the 30th to have my port replaced. Sure hope this gets the ball rolling, I feel like I am in slow motion, losing but only 1 lb or so a week...

Yes, it's all a learning process. I'm doing fine now, except now I'm back to not getting full and feeling like I'm eating too much. My PA says she wants me to just stop after eating 1 cup of food, drink more in between meals, and exercise more. A part of me is upset, thinking, if I could stop eating while I'm still hungry, I wouldn't have needed the LapBand in the first place! Ugh. I'd like to go back up .25 cc, but I'm not sure they will let me just yet. This is SO hard and frustrating! And some people think this is the easy way out. Ha!

On the Way, good luck with your port replacement! I hope it all goes well. Let us know! :thumbup:

I'm so glad to read this thread. While I don't think I'm overfilled, I have finally reached the point of good restriction, and after those months WITH the band, being able to eat almost everything, as much as I wanted as long as I chewed well, I find that I'm having to once again relearn HOW to eat, this time MUCH more slowly, and having to actually STOP before I want to! Yes, I did say WANT. I realize that it's just my desire to eat that makes me want to keep going, not my body's need for food. Doesn't make it any easier to stop, though...

Glad to hear you're doing well, SpideyMom!

I am really learning from you guys. Ann you have done so well. Don"t be hard on yourself. What you have already accomplished is amazing.

I guess I keep hoping (especially right after a fill) that I will eat a cup of food and be so full I cannot eat another bite. That just hasn't happened. From what I am learning, maybe it never will.

I don't know why I don't stop at a cup and see what happens. I either just like food, or I am afraid I will be hungy again too soon. Today I ate an instant oatmeal and a small banana for Breakfast. At 10:00 I ate a 6oz yogurt. Before noon you could have heard my stomach across the room.

I lost alot of weight once and gained it all back, so I am trying to eat like I think I will for life. Maybe my approach is not correct. I just know I won't stick to a very rigid diet the rest of my life. I just want to eat healthy.

Maybe I need another fill already. I just had one on 9/27. I have 5.5 in a 9cc band.

This is a tricky business.

I am not losing near as fast as I had hoped, but I am trying not to get discouraged.

Hang in there it really is easier once your fill is the right level, at 6cc I am great (until it leaks out) and then it slowly goes away due to my port leak, so while I am not looking forward to the sg to replace it, I am looking forward to having a fill level that sticks for more than a couple days.

Yes, it's all a learning process. I'm doing fine now, except now I'm back to not getting full and feeling like I'm eating too much. My PA says she wants me to just stop after eating 1 cup of food, drink more in between meals, and exercise more. A part of me is upset, thinking, if I could stop eating while I'm still hungry, I wouldn't have needed the LAP-BAND® in the first place! Ugh. I'd like to go back up .25 cc, but I'm not sure they will let me just yet. This is SO hard and frustrating! And some people think this is the easy way out. Ha!

On the Way, good luck with your port replacement! I hope it all goes well. Let us know! :scared2:

Ann, I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I know it must be frustrating for you, but you've done SO well, just hang in there a little longer and I'm sure it'll get easier for you!:w00t:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! I need them, because I got on the scale today (for Friday weigh-in) and I am up 3 lbs. :wink2: Granted, it's a bad time of month and I've been eating a lot of salty food, but it's still a bummer to see. Yet, I know it is all part of the process, so that's why I am owning up to it! :w00t:

Rebecca, if you are hungry like you describe, you definitely need a fill. Don't hesitate to speak up for yourself. :eek:

If we stick together, we'll all get there! :scared2:

Hang in there Ann and thanks for the info on the port replacement. I am trying so hard to maintain, and not gain until it gets replaced. It is so hard to be right on the edge of success but not able to cross over the line! My job is mostly a desk job so I think coming back to work on Monday after Friday replacement should be ok if you were able to go to church that same day! Wow you are a trouper! Easy no it is not, but I still believe it is worth it. Put on a pair of shoes this am that I bought a couple years ago and loved, but was unable to wear cause they were too tight, saw them and put them on and wow they are just fine now!

And Sarahbellzz, I have you to thank, because if you had not gone through something similar (though much more extreme!!) I would have been less likely to call the doctor. :cursing:

Thanks, everyone, for letting me vent. :scared2:

You are quite welcome. I have to say it is a terrifying experience, and actually, I owe a huge thanks to Blaire (BEK) Because she was the one who alerted me to being over-filled. I actually had a slight fill last friday (6 weeks after I was unfilled) because I had absolutly no restriction. Almost choked on spaghetti last night (that was a trip) it was a stuck I have never ever felt before, basically, instead of the "chest" stuck, this was a stomach stuck, like it couldn't pass through the opening to the stomach..... I thought I was going to pass out. Anyway. I'm glad I was able to help. And I'm glad your feeling better. And btw, It's O.K after an unfill to gain 2-3lbs. Like I said after my unfill, it's your bodies way of saying Thank you. You'll lose those few.... So long as your healthy thats all that matters

Edited by sarahbellzz14-4

Yes, I am feeling better, thanks, Sarah! And you're right -- being healthy is what matters. I have gone down 1.5 of the 3 that I gained, so I know it will all be off soon. My problem now is NO restriction whatsoever. Last night I had 2 grilled cheese sandwiches and big bowl of grapes before I started feeling full. :huh2: That's like normal-person eating! Even though the bread was toasted whole wheat, there was no way I could eat more than one slice before, and last night I ate four! (And yes, I must admit, I was searching for comfort food because I wasn't feeling well. A salad would have been better, but that's not the point here :cursing:.)

On the Way, hang in there, and don't push yourself to go back to work before you are ready! You want to make sure that the port heals properly in place and doesn't have a chance to come loose. If you have more time to take off from work, I would take it -- and lie down and rest a lot! :scared2: