Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet Spot or possibly too tight - that is the question

I had a fill last Friday (September 25, 2009) and now I have 9ccs in a 14cc Realize Band. I have followed the doctor's orders with liquids for two days, mushies for three and then back to regular food BUT. . . . pureed food and anything thicker than Tomato Soup is getting stuck and causing sliming and sometimes, well you get the drift. Since I think my band is irritable, I have gone back to liquids for a few days to see if it calms down. So far as long as I don't drink too fast or eat too fast, all is well. Tomato basil Soup, carefully chewed cottage cheese, yogurt eaten slowly, tea, crystal light and Water all go down okay, carefully, but okay. Do you all think this is my sweet spot or am I overfilled. I had to wrap my head around the fact that I just can't eat anything solid right now and that is okay, but I don't want it to be this way forever. I don't feel hungry, so that is not a problem. Thoughts, anyone?

By the way, I want to thank each and everyone of you for sharing your journeys so freely. It has been in inspiration to me.

Thanks,

D:redface:

I think you are probably a little too tight. You should be able to get foods other than Soups down. If you can't the band won't work the way it is designed too and remember being too tight can lead to all sorts of problems.

I also think you are probably too tight and will need a slight unfill. There is a slight chance your band is irritated, and you have some swelling, but a few extra days on liquids should take care of it. As long as you can get down enough liquids to stay well hydrated, and you're not sliming, burping, etc your way throughout them, you could try to give your band a rest. Only then try the pureed foods and if you have any trouble whatsoever with them schedule an unfill. If you can't move on to solid foods by early next week, schedule an unfill.

You just don't want to spend any significant time burping up your food, or you'll end up irritating your band more, and that can lead to other band problems.

Your doctor may want you to come in right away for a slight unfill, so you might want to give the office a call and check.

I agree with both of the posters, and think you probably need a small unfill but have time to wait as long as you keep liquids down. I waited too long but was barfing every day and the band couldn't rest. I ended up with a complete unfill and back to bandster hell for 8 wks by the time I got my fills back. I still am not back up to good restriction!!!

Best wishes,

Mimi

I'm having the same problem too. I've been banded for a year and have lost a good amount of weight, but plateaued, so I decided to get another fill about 2 weeks ago.

It's strange because I originally had 7cc's in a 10cc band. Then when the doctor removed the liquid, he said I only had 6.5cc's and proceeded to give me another .5cc to bring me to 7cc's... What happened to the other .5cc? Is it possible that he could have just not drawn it all out of the band, before he added the rest, and now I have 7.5cc's?

Either way, I'm in the same boat as you, and I couldn't take down anything thicker than Water the first few days, and at times, even the Water was coming up (and still is, but only sometimes). It's been a rough two weeks, and my surgeon is notoriously hard to book appointments with. I gave it some time to let it pass and went on liquids (even Protein shakes are hard to get down), but two weeks later and I'm still having serious trouble getting anything solid down, unless I take some liquids with it.

Am I doing something wrong or am I too tight? The problem that I have seems to be a lot of slime, to where sometimes I can't even get down water... but it's hit or miss, as sometimes, I can eat mushy foods (mostly really soft fish and really soft steamed veggies) if I take it with liquid. Otherwise, I can't get it down due to the amount of slime and then you know what happens next.

When do you ask for an unfill? And should I just wait it out longer??

It's strange because I originally had 7cc's in a 10cc band. Then when the doctor removed the liquid, he said I only had 6.5cc's and proceeded to give me another .5cc to bring me to 7cc's... What happened to the other .5cc? Is it possible that he could have just not drawn it all out of the band, before he added the rest, and now I have 7.5cc's?

I think it's common that a small amount of saline can be reabsorbed after a period of time. I have a different band (9cc Realize Band), and the doctor never has pulled out as much as he has put in. He has never been concerned, and when doing a fill under fluoro it was obvious that the Fluid is still in my band, and I have good restriction. Your "loss" of Fluid could be a little bit of fluid just not coming out when he did your check and/or a little re-absorption of the saline after a period of time. It might have happened so gradually, that you didn't realize it, and now with this fill your back up to the original fill level.

Either way, I'm in the same boat as you, and I couldn't take down anything thicker than Water the first few days, and at times, even the Water was coming up (and still is, but only sometimes). It's been a rough two weeks, and my surgeon is notoriously hard to book appointments with. I gave it some time to let it pass and went on liquids (even Protein shakes are hard to get down), but two weeks later and I'm still having serious trouble getting anything solid down, unless I take some liquids with it.

Am I doing something wrong or am I too tight? The problem that I have seems to be a lot of slime, to where sometimes I can't even get down water... but it's hit or miss, as sometimes, I can eat mushy foods (mostly really soft fish and really soft steamed veggies) if I take it with liquid. Otherwise, I can't get it down due to the amount of slime and then you know what happens next.

My doctor usually recommends waiting two weeks after a fill to let things settle down, unless you can't take water or something of that consistency, then you should come back right away to have some of the fill removed. I think, at this point, there's no doubt that you need an unfill. As others have said, when they've put it off too long, their stomas have been so irritated that they've needed a complete unfill.

I'm having the same problem too. I've been banded for a year and have lost a good amount of weight, but plateaued, so I decided to get another fill about 2 weeks ago.

Lulu - I think you need a little unfill. Life is to short to be miserable like that. Your body may go into starvation mode and you will not loose any weight. It could also cause other issues down the line. Just ask for just .25 or so out as it sounds like you are close to your sweet spot.

I have good news. This afternoon, I have been able to keep four bites of turkey chili down, with very little sliming!!!! Go me!! I am still taking it very slowly, maintaining the mostly liquid stage. The only reason I tried again is because my stomach was growling and could not be satisfied with Water. I am, however, satisfied with the four bites. I may still be tight as I can feel even water go down, hesitate for a second or two and then continue. I will call the doc after the weekend. Thanks all!!!!

I am having the same problem as well. I got a filled on yesterday and am having problems with keeping liquids down. I am going to give it another day or two and if it does not subside then I am going to have a slight unfill.

I had a fill yesterday and was ok - didn't eat much and stuck to soft food. Today I ate very little and tonight I ate about 4 bites of scrambled egg and ended up in the bathroom. It's terrible to be out with your mother and son and have to get her to stop the car in a parking lot because I was going to lose it and all that comes up is blob..... no food... I have never done this before. Maybe I was eating too fast. I try to stop and count - yes count because I eat way too fast. My ex-husband taught me that... I can't say that I am hungry - I just want food in my mouth - does that sound stupid??? it's like I'm missing the food. I"m supposed to have lunch with a girlfriend tomorrow and think I will stick to Soup. Hopefully no more having to pull over after eating.

Anyone else have that feeling?

I had a fill on 9/21 and was just like you. I really couldn't keep any "real" food down. However, I decided to wait it out, and now a few weeks later it seems to have calmed down and I have pretty good restriction.

However, I just got by band in July, and this was only my second fill. My Dr. told me there would be a lot of fluctuation in the beginning.

If you have had your band for a while, I'd say you are probably too tight.

I think the nail was hit on the head in a previous post. We think we should be hungry and we should have food in our mouths. Oh the tragedy!!! I have battled with that feeling for the last three weeks. Thinking, ok, I have not eaten for four hours and it is dinner time, I should eat when in reality I am not even hungry. I guess we all have to re-program our minds (very difficult task and one that I have not mastered at all). I can go 4-6 hours between meals but it certainly does not stop me from "thinking" I am hungry. Bad brain, bad, bad brain - laughing.

:cursing:

Thank you everyone for these posts. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong. I had a fill 10/14/09 of .25 cc's total 6.25 cc's, that day I was fine, all was well, however a week and a half later on 10/24/09, it's like the band closed itself up. That day I threw up everything and could not eat, I really didn't eat anything in the entire day and did not drink anything. Since, I haven't been able to get Water down. This morning I had milk/carnation Breakfast, a little coffee, then I had lunch, which was actual food and thought ok, I'm doing better, but 1/2 hour later I tried drinking water to start getting my liquids in and can't drink more than 1 bottle of water per day if that. I constantly feel like I have a knot in my throat and I BURP BURP BURP. So......I think I'm going to need an unfill. I'll be calling the docs office tomorrow morning.

The band was never designed to put us on a liquid diet. You should still be able to enjoy solid food.< /span>

I’d definitely say you are too tight. Especially given you gave your stomach ample time to calm after the fill. Go to your doctor and explain your situation. Chances are very good you will be seen again for a little bit of defill.

Do not wait too long. Being too tight can cause many more problems than necessary and you could possibly lose your band.

Best wishes!

Hey everyone...I am new here. Had realize band 4-10-09 and have had my 5th adjustment on 10-23. I have no idea how many cc's this is as my dr will not tell me :( The last adjustment was rough and it took a few weeks to settle...what is sliming? I do not know the term....I have vomitted a good bit...and well it is "slimy" like in a bubble...is this normal??

Thanks for any clues :scared2: