Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Wrekage!!!

Ok, so my surgery was May 15th and since then, unbeknownst to me, I was called an "emotional wreck" by some friends. I didn't think this was true, because I had some ongoing stress factors that were in my life prior to the surgery, but I guess they became more prevolent after the surgery and made me emotional depressed. So, two weeks ago, I had an incident that threw me into an emotional tailspin and I had 2 panic attacks and crying episodes at work. <<<<<NOT COOL! Luck for me my boss is great. ANyhow, I called my dr and he put me on Lexapro. This week I feel FABULOUS, but Im not planning on stayin on this more than 3 mos.

Has anyone else felt depressed or emotional ever since the sugery?

When I went to my required psychiatrist visit during the pre-op phase, she said that it is very common for people to go through a post-surgery depression. She seemed very willing to prescribe drugs if I thought I would need them, but I tend to live on the sunny side of life.

I suppose the logic is that you are mourning the loss of your normal lifestyle/foods/habits/vices. The surgery really is a major life upheaval, and I don't think it's odd at all to experience some form of loss/depression.

No I can't say that I have but it sounds to me like you were going through some difficult times prior to surgery. After the surgery, your body was trying to adjust and heal so it was weakened...add in those difficulties and it's no wonder you had a breakdown at work! I would think anyone would, given the right the circumstances!

I hope things have settled down for you now. :tongue2: Hang in there and you'll do great. :)

Take care and God bless,

T

Foxxy,

Reconsider your friends. Instead of talking behind your back they should have asked if you needed to talk or offered support with these other problems you are dealing with.

I have a heavy load without the surgery as well. In fact several times during the 6 month insurance required diet I almost decided to back out because of these other problems. But my insurance required pyschiatrist - who is a gem! - talked me out of it. This was something I had to do for myself when the rest of my life was out of my control.

I was really really down immediately after the surgery. Thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. It took me more than a week or so to be at least human again. But then, I'm a life time anti-depressant user, so that underpinning helped.

Do not set yourself a time limit to stop taking the meds. Maybe you'll be ready to go off in 3 months, maybe not. You need to find someone to talk to, a spiritual leader, a counsellor, a psychologist, .... to help with the other issues in your life as well as the changes as a result of surgery. There is NO shame in it. You are helping yourself to wellness, physical as well as mental, it's the WHOLE you. If you can find someone who deals with eating disorders, or compulsive eating, it would be ideal, but I have no idea how many of them exist. I am lucky to have found the only one in my area. She is helping with all my issues, not just eating.

You are normal. Take care of yourself!

It's my understanding from the info I received from my doc's ofc before surgery, that the surgery itself can effect your hormones and therefore your emotions. It's my understanding it can even change your period. So, it's completely understandable you were on an emotional roller coaster. Add that to having some issues before surgery, it's no wonder you had a meltdown.

Take care of yourself. You're human. Nothing to be ashamed of.

It's my understanding from the info I received from my doc's ofc before surgery, that the surgery itself can effect your hormones and therefore your emotions. It's my understanding it can even change your period. So, it's completely understandable you were on an emotional roller coaster. Add that to having some issues before surgery, it's no wonder you had a meltdown.

Take care of yourself. You're human. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Foxxy, the pp above said everything I was going to say! Hang in there. You're doing great.:(

And we'd love it if you joined us on the May 2009 board. There's a great group of people there who are very supportive. :scared2: Click here: May 09 Bandsters - LAP-BAND

Hang in there. Don't limit yourself on your meds and try to talk with a psych doc when you need too. Worry about the WHOLE YOU. I hope things get better for you very soon.

Thanks all! I was taken aback when I heard my so called friends say that to me, I was like "HUH!?!?" and one of them, who I am no longer speaking to, is actually having the gastric sleeve done in a few months, so Im like, OK, Missy, we'll see how you are after!

Anyhow, I went on the meds to grab a hold of my panic/anxiety attacks for the time being. I do have people to talk to, I just wanted to know if anyone else was having these emotional problems as well. Thanks for the input all! And I though I joined the mayo Banditos, but Ill stop over again and see. :)

sooner or later we all have to deal with our emotions (some deeper than others) that, in the past were dealt with by stuffing down with food. I know exactly what you're talking about. I journal, pray and have begun attending a weekly "anger management" support group at church. There have many things in my life that could explain the deep anger but I have to take personal responsibility for it and get help because the weight comes off, and I feel more vulnerable emotions WILL surface. I hope this helps you.

sooner or later we all have to deal with our emotions (some deeper than others) that, in the past were dealt with by stuffing down with food. I know exactly what you're talking about. I journal, pray and have begun attending a weekly "anger management" support group at church. There have many things in my life that could explain the deep anger but I have to take personal responsibility for it and get help because the weight comes off, and I feel more vulnerable emotions WILL surface. I hope this helps you.

You know what, you're right! Now that I do think about it, I used to stuff my face when Id get upset, but not really anymore, so I guess I just turned to getting upset ALOT. I also find that when I workout I feel so much better but these last 2 months had been hard because I strained my achillies tendons, which hurt still. But I've had a history of panic attacks and I just didn't want it to get any worse. 2 in one week is not a good sign, so Im nipping it in the bud right now. :smile:

Hey there.

It's never easy going through surgery, and as you've heard from other posts there is a common post-surgery depression caused by the drugs used to put you out.

If it helps, anyone who has a history of mental health issues often finds this harder to deal with as the normal "swings and roundabouts" of life aren't as easy to control. I'm mildly bipolar and had a hell of a time in the first couple of weeks with mood swings (largely depression but some euphoria). With that settling down I'm beginning to face the world again and be happy that the choice to have the band put in seems to have been the right one for me.

Fortunately for me, though, I have found that my friends have been supportive and have welcomed the chance to talk about what I have been through and why. If you have people to talk to (the suggestion of support groups is a great one!) whether close friends or in the case of mental health issues like anxiety maybe professionals in the field then you might find this brave new world easier to handle and less daunting to have those around you not understand or be understanding.

I truly wish you the very best and hope that you find the support you are looking for. This site is filled with people who do understand what you face and I hope that you are helped by those here like I have been.

I didn't have emotional upheaval after surgery, but I've had near nervous breakdowns in the past, so I can relate. I LOOOOVE Lexapro. It enables me to be a calm, pleasant human rather than a tense, angry demon with horns and a tail. :smile: