Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need support... someone please help!

Hi everyone,

I got my band a week ago on 9-21-09. I'm just recently transitioning into just drinking liquids. Just today I'm starting to feel extremely depressed. I feel like nothing will make me happy.. things I used to love just don't motivate me anymore.

I guess I feel alone.. I know there are support groups and this forum that will help.. but I need support from people that have had the band and who have had success. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake.

I guess it's because I'm 21.. and all my friends and boyfriend like to go out to eat all the time (but they are ALL skinny) and I'm just at a hard point right now.. I was so excited for the band, but I cant break the depression.

Have any of you experienced depression in your first week - month? Can you tell me what helped you break it?

I come from a family that loves to eat, and I feel like I'm making them feel guilty every time they go out or are making food because I decide to hide in my room.

I don't want to be a bore to be around, I don't want to have to put my family through my mood swings.. I just cannot make myself feel the way I did when food was my comfort!

I don't want to discourage anyone who is on their way to getting the band. Goodluck to you all!

But - I feel so depressed, and I need some advice and support!

Thank you all!!

-Alex

Hi there Alexandra don't worry this seems to be normal expecially the 5th day. I felt like that and several other people that got there band on the same day felt depressed about 5th and 6th day. My husband tried everything he possibly could he drove me around, he kept me occupied for the rest of the day. Then I felt better the next day. I know it is a horrible feeling I just wanted to cry. Hang in there it will pass.

I havnt been banded yet but I am expecting to feel the same way after I do. food has been a big part of our lifes till now its just part of the change you got to get use to. Say when your family is making food go outside maybe go to the park and walk around a bit if youre able. I can imagin how hard it is for you right now but you didnt make a mistake. You did this to better yourself and to make a healthier you! You can do it dont let some depression get you down :tongue2: Just think about when you do start losing weight all the new thinner clothes you will buy :thumbup: Why not make a list of motivations that might help keep your head up. You can do it!:(

Well, let me start by telling you that this is the best thing that you did for yourself. You just recently had surgery and you will have a couple of ups and down, this is very normal! But wait until the weight start dropping off of you! I had my surgery on October 22, and it hasn't been a year yet and I currently hit the 100 loss mark. (everyone tells me to stop losing:thumbup:) I weighed 237 when I went in for surgery and now I am 137. I still can't believe it. I have never been this small. I wear size 4 and 6 now. never in my life would I thought that I would be this size!!! And that is from an 18/20(I still go to the plus size and grab clothes that are that size) So don't get discouraged, keep your head up and drop me a line once in a while

Alex,

It's very normal to experience depression after surgery. I woke up one day during my first week post-op and thought, OMG, what was I thinking! Fortunately, the depression passed quickly.

One of the hardest parts is the liquid diets pre/post op. It's lousy on your social life, specially if you are going out to eat. It gets a lot easier once you reach the mushie stage. Your menu choices may be a bit limited, but you can find quite a bit that you can eat in restaurants that will not make you feel left out.

And of course, lots of choices will open up once you are solids. Its an adventure discovering what you can and can't eat - and this will change with each fill. But if you follow your new eating habits, you will be able to enjoy going out again. Plan your restaurant and food choices, and hang in there through the difficult liquid phase. It's definately worth it!

Good luck!

Joan

Hi everyone!

I cannot tell you how much you all have helped me. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for replying to my post. I feel extremely emotional and was doubting my decision because no one around me knows how I feel. I have only told 3 people (mom, dad and boyfriend) about my decision. I feel like everyone here is family because we all understand each other. Your love and support means the world!

Please pray that I can get out of depression and into a happy healthy lifestyle.

I do think that I'm upset because I'm in the liquid stage.. once I get into eating solid foods, I should feel better.

Thank you all so much again, and best luck to you all on your journeys! I wish you the best of success!

God Bless,

Alex

It is very normal to be depressed for awhile after you have been banded--you have made a huge lifestyle change!! Keep reading these forums. IN my experience, the more you know what to expect; the better off you'll be. ONce you get off liquids and mushies it will be easier, because they'll be yummy things that you can eat too...it might not be what your family is eating, but you'll be ok!! Good luck!!

Well, let me start by telling you that this is the best thing that you did for yourself. You just recently had surgery and you will have a couple of ups and down, this is very normal! But wait until the weight start dropping off of you! I had my surgery on October 22, and it hasn't been a year yet and I currently hit the 100 loss mark. (everyone tells me to stop losing:thumbup:) I weighed 237 when I went in for surgery and now I am 137. I still can't believe it. I have never been this small. I wear size 4 and 6 now. never in my life would I thought that I would be this size!!! And that is from an 18/20(I still go to the plus size and grab clothes that are that size) So don't get discouraged, keep your head up and drop me a line once in a while

Hi Maribella,

Thank you so much for the great support! I cannot thank you enough! I am currently the exact same weight as you were! I am 5'5 237... and a size 18/20. You are my inspiration along with everyone else of course! Congratulations on your journey! you have done an amazing job and so has everyone else! It has been wonderful getting support from people who understand!

Thank you again and goodluck!

Everyone here has given you some really good words of advice and its all true. I was in your shoes and so was a lot of other bansters. As "TOOMUCHRN" said, depression usually set in around day 5 or 6 post op. the 1st 3 weeks were the hardest for me. At week 4 I got right back into my regular routine of bowling tournaments and other activities that kept me busy. half of my reason for doing this was for health reasons(high blood & diabetes)the other half was to look better and feel better about myself. I am starting to do that. Remember your reasons and don't stop believing

weight.png

Edited by blackonynx

Wow, I am too impressed. I love hearing stories like yours. You give me hope. I just got banded 2 weeks ago and my clothes are already loose. The fact that you have lost so much tells me that you have done all the right things.

Hey Sweetie,

Things will get better for you. Once you are through the first 6 weeks and start getting your fills, you will be able to go out and eat just like everyone else. You just have to make good choices and eat less. You are young and have all of your 20's to look HOT in your new body and clothes. I am 38 and feel bad that I ROBBED myself of feeling good by being overweigh for the past 10+ years.

Everyone has their own reasons, but I told everyone that I was getting surgery!!! At first, I thought I shouldn't have said things but everyone has been soooo supportive and have been my biggest sense of support. Maybe you won't feel so alone if you told a few close friends, so you have people to confide in.

Today for the FIRST time in MANY years, I walked into Target and bought clothes from the regular section and it felt GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep telling yourself that the beginning part is temporary and you'll get through it!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I cannot tell you how much you all have helped me. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for replying to my post. I feel extremely emotional and was doubting my decision because no one around me knows how I feel. I have only told 3 people (mom, dad and boyfriend) about my decision. I feel like everyone here is family because we all understand each other. Your love and support means the world!

Please pray that I can get out of depression and into a happy healthy lifestyle.

I do think that I'm upset because I'm in the liquid stage.. once I get into eating solid foods, I should feel better.

Thank you all so much again, and best luck to you all on your journeys! I wish you the best of success!

God Bless,

Alex

I suffer from depression and I take 30 MG of Prozac. I can tell you that adding a B complex Vitamin to your morning will help you fight your depression. It will give you energy and will help, believe me. I know when I forget to take my B, so does my BF. He now takes it too and says he feels like poo when he doesnt take it. He is suffering from depression but is unmedicated.

Hi, I too felt this way only 8 weeks ago, I was out of my element being at home and not working, not being able to move around quickly and clean house, what could I do? I felt a little helpless and a little self-pity and began to doubt my decision and that I could do this!!! My husband really did not want me to have the Band, he always thought I could do it myself, and I tried over and over again to get thin, to no avail. He has always weighed the same since we married, and eats Ice Cream at night!!! I found that I could go out to eat, just made lean choices, or I eat my select foods prior to going out now and just have a glass of Water and a salad or cottage cheese. All my friends have been great support and encourage me. They all tell me that they can see me getting thinner. It is hard to believe in the beginning.

Let me tell you, I looked at Recipe books when I came home!! My husband asked me if I was crazy. I was actually finding foods that I could have when I got to Solids and looking at how to lower the fat, carbs and calories in these recipies. I had a grocery list when I got to Solids to go to the store with, so try to stay busy, and not bored, you will be less depressed! I slept a lot and watched a lot of TV too. I made up my mind that when I could eat solids, I'd have Chinese, I did, but very little of it, I felt so bloated afterwards! LOL Just take it one day at a time, It will get better for you.:smile2:

I sort of know how you feel. I haven't been banded yet but it took me a year to decide if I was going to do it. Now I am all excited. I worried about the same things and I came to the conclusion it's only food. It will always be there. You have to take care of yourself. When I have my band done in November, thanksgiving is only a week away. I usually cook and have guests but not this year. I am going to be selfish. My husband is behind my 100%. You hubby and family will do take out and I will have turkey broth. Good Luck to you and things will get better. Smile.

I'm in the same boat as you!!! I was banded last Tuesday 9/22/09. I also was in ER on Saturday at 4AM with Kidney Stones - completely freaked me out! I thought I was dying and that it was the result of the band and I was so upset with myself for getting it. Labor was less painful! Anyway, it passed, I came home and now I'm cooking food for my family, and just starving!! Last night I made my favorite indulgence and baked them brownies (I just wanted to smell them!). What is wrong with me? I only tortured myself and couldn't sleep all night because I just wanted to chew something, anything! Now, today, I am restless, depressed, bored, and still need drink these liquids that are becoming less tasty as the week goes on! I feel your pain!