Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nagging Questions before I commit to LB surgery

Hi everyone! I have been on here for a while reading everyone's stories. I am planning on being banded during the Christmas break. I have a few obscure questions:

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side?

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no?

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise?

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently?

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight?

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems?

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards.

Any responses to any of these questions would be helpful.

I am very interested in the 5-year complications as well! This article gives me pause - http://www.paclap.com/news&resources/ourpublications/article/lapband.html

Of course, I've been on the Thinner Times forum reading about long-term complications of GBP and those really scare me.

I have had the band for 15 months, so I will try to answer those questions that I can...

1. I sleep great at night....some people have some port sensitivity; but I can sleep on my stomach.

2. I can eat gummies just fine and I am super tight!

3. I do exercise, but I go through phases....I do think it's really important!! But I do not exercise for hours each day..and my current weight is about 165; started at 280.

4. OK so the fullness thing...the band does help me feel fuller much, much quicker. But it is a different feeling of full than before. Right now I am quite tight and very motivated to get to my goal; I honestly eat very little.

5. Unfortunatly, we have no control over where the weight comes off. I will def. have to have some plastic surgery. A Tummy Tuck for sure!!

hope this helps

Hi everyone! I have been on here for a while reading everyone's stories. I am planning on being banded during the Christmas break. I have a few obscure questions:

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side? It's not hard to sleep at night at all. I can sleep in any position. I woke up the first night laying on my port (left) side, although, it was probably a month before I rarely noticed my port when I was laying on my left side. Every once in a while, I can feel my port when laying on my left side, but it's not uncomfortable.

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no? I take Centrum (or store brand) chewables.

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise? I walk 3 to 5 miles four or five days per week.

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently? My doctor's goal is for his patients to feel satisfied on 1/2 cup of food three times per day plus a snack. There's room for 4 ounces of food above my band. I'm at the "sweet spot" now, and I feel very satisfied with the 1/2 cup meal, believe it or not. That feeling usually lasts almost four hours. I also am very diligent about getting my liquids in between meals and not drinking during meals (although I do occasionally, but not a lot or often), and that really helps control the hunger.

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight? That's the way I carry my weight as well, and it seems to be coming off pretty uniformly.

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems? I've just had the band a little over a year, so I can't answer for five years. I can tell you that I'm at my sweet spot without pb'ing, sliming, or any other problem. I eat very normal foods, chew normally, take pretty normal bites (at least "lady like" bites..lol), etc. I do eat slower, which works out since I'm eating so much less than everybody else.

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards. I think I pretty much answered that in question four. Today, my husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant called Salsarita's. I got a chicken/bean soft taco (I've measured the filling, and it's 1/2 cup) while he got the burrito, which was huge. I ate the filling of my taco with a fork, then ate a little of the wrap. When we left, he was stuffed and feeling bloated, and I just felt satisfied. We ate about 6, and it's a little after 9 now, and I'm not hungry and will skip my snack tonight.

I added my answers to your questions in red.

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side?

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise?

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently?

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight?

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards.

1. I slept on my side in the hosptial, and just fine when I got home (expect when gas woke me)

2. I do chewables, I hate gummi anything, always have

3. I reallt tried early on, I just don't get to the gym. I walked and used the treadmill at first, it helped with gas. I really haven't done much in the last 3 months, just started with some dance tonight.

4. YES!! However, you must listen to your body, and follow the rules for this to work. There will be times, especially in the early stages that you can eat more. Only put on the plate what you should have, and don't get more. Set a schedule for eating and it might make it easier for you to not be hungry.

5. Everybody is different. Mine seems to have been breast down. My face slmmmed and arms, in a size 12 jeans, but still need a 20 shirt.

6. Not at 7 mos. yet.

7. I get cravings. I really like food and that's one reason I got the band. I can eat most things, just a lot less. At this stage I am still learning to listen to my body, follow the rules and not put in the stuff I shouldn't. I crave bbq chips, & Tomato sauce (pizza & calzones). At the start I gave up sweet tea, I have a glass couple of nights a week because I am out and it is there. I don't make it at home. This tool works, but it doesn't work alone. You must be committed to the cause in your mind or it just won't do it for you.

Edited by niterun
missed a word

I am 2.5 weeks post op.

I could not comfortably sleep on my side for about a week ( I sleep on my left side-same side as my port).

I haven't tried Gummy Vitamins since it was asked about in pre surgery class and we were told a big NO on those.

I was a bit excessive about my workouts pre op but not as much yet. I still find I get tired out more easily... but just getting my Iron in now today so that could be factoring in. I had done 6-7 hours of work out per week preop and plan to work that back in but for right now I'm at about 3 hours per week tops.

I still get waves of hunger- the afternoon being the worst for me but I have not yet had a fill so there is actually no restriction on me yet and the swelling is gone that was serving as some restriction. I plan on just being rather hungry til my 1st fill at 6 weeks... an experience I have not had for FAR too many years.

I think with the areas of the body you lose wt. in and the excess skin thing... it comes down to genetics/ your body.

I am so soon out that I get nervous about this as well... right choice.. will I do well etc.but I have all the right tools to do well and am confident I will. I think the biggest adjustment for me was to realize that there are no real changes right now... this is a slow process..l'm not going to be thin overnight etc. I know we all know that logically going into this but I have to admit... I think I expected to feel differently-to somehow feel a change- and I don't. Which is good... but again... maybe a tad anticlimactic after a 9 month battle to get approval.

Good luck. I have found some wonderful information on these threads, wonderful support and SO many great stories.

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side? I was in pain and had trouble sleeping the first few nights, but I haven't had problems since. I would be able to sleep on my stomach or port side if I wanted to, but I've never been a stomach sleeper and prefer to sleep on the side without my port (since before surgery).

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no? I take Gummy adult Vitamins and omega-3s in addition to Calcium chews. I've had no problems.

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise? Trying to get hardcore. I'm planning on starting my routine on Monday, now that I have the appropriate gear for it (a sports bra that works).

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently? Well, it depends. If your hunger is "head hunger" you may struggle with it forever. If it's honest physical hunger, the band should help considerably.

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight? I think it really depends upon genetics. No two people are the same, unfortunately.

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems? A few people have been here for a long time. I've been banded for a few months.

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Does less food make me feel full? Yes. Is it a cup of food? Not yet. But I'm getting there with fills and think I'm pretty close!

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side? I'm 5 weeks post-op and I've been sleeping on my stomach and my side since the 2nd week. I sometimes have port pain on my left side but that's only after I've been exercising.

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no? Yes, I've been taking 2 adult gummi Vitamins since the day after surgery.

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise? I've been doing mostly cardio but plan on lifting weights and working my abs in the next two weeks.

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently? The first few weeks I was full and satisfied with a couple of bites but lately I can eat 3/4 to a cup of food. The only problem for me is I haven't had a fill yet so I get hungry about 2-3 hours after I eat.

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight? My hips, butt and thighs are the 1st to go - lol.

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems? N/A - only been banded for 5 weeks but no problems yet.

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards. I like that I can eat a little bit and be satisfied. Yesterday, I had a piece of turkey lunch meat and a slice of cheese for lunch and was very satisfied. This would't have been possible in the past, I would have had the whole sandwich, a snack plus a diet pepsi.

I hope this answered a few of your questions.

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side? I had my surgery two months ago, and haven't slept well since. Until a week ago, I could only sleep on my back as it hurts really badly to sleep on my sides. Now, I can sleep on my sides, but not for long. I am getting up an hour-two before usual becase I dont rest well, and then I am sleepy all day.

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no? I take the chewable vitamins and am still cutting my medications into little pieces. it takes hours to get all of the meds in.

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise? I am just walking right now; I walk my dog in the mornings. I did join a health fitness center that I plan to go to in a week or two -just haven't felt strong enough yet.

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently? People are so very different on how much food and which foods they can eat. For me, I don't eat too much...about 1/2 cup at a time if it is a food that I tolerate well, and if it is diffiicult for me, about 1/4 cup.

However, the main thing for me is that full doesn't feel like what I thought it would. Full, for me, feels like slight pain or discomfort. It does not feel like satisfation. I have to eat small bites and chew really well and that takes a lot of the satisfaction from eating-that plus my fear of eating something that will go down wrong.

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight? Mine too, in the beginning, I lost in my face, shoulders and then on down to my breasts. Now I am smaller all over, but mostly top part because that is just how my body is...I am narrow. My face used to look really young because of the plumpness, now I look older. I forgot to look to see your age, so you might stay youthful looking, but for me, I am thinking of getting collagen injections in my lips after I lose more. (I've lost about 30 pounds, 70 more to go.)

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems? Sorry, just two months out, but am really interested in the answers from the oldtimers...

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards. Satisfied is not the word I use. I don't want more food, but am disappointed that I can't eat a larger portion, I can't even eat half of a child's meal, just an example, no restaurants yet have allowed to me to order one, I have to get the full order... I throw out sooo much food. It bothers me to waste all the money. I thought that I would be eating the portions that I had on -for example weight watchers, but that is way too much food for me. I also want to mention that I cannot tolerate the nutritious foods that I associate with a diet -most fruits and vegetables. I can only eat the soft nonfibrous ones. no salad or veggies to snack on...

Keep in mind that I am only two months out and many others at my stage can eat anything they want...just FYI in case you might be similar to me... good luck in your decision!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wasn't expecting so many replies, now I know I can could on this forum for support!!

I made my husband drag an easy chair upstairs to our bedroom 'cause I was worried about this... I had read so many say they couldn't lie down to sleep. Me? I had no issues, really. Oh, the port was a bit sore but that's it. I still slept in my own bed from the first night. He carried the chair in vain. haha

I do chewables.< /p>

I had been exercising prior to surgery and didn't want it to be disrupted. I started walking from Day 1 - the day of my surgery (outpatient) I did 30 minutes on the treadmill - slow-going but I did it. I kept it slow at first but I got on the treadmill every single day. I worked my way up to more impressive speeds. It wasn't until after the 4 week mark that I returned to the gym.

I had a hard time feeling full before too - I ate too much because I was very hungry. The band helps, yes. Absolutely. I'm only at 2.4ccs of fill and I still have to work for every pound I lose, and I'm glad to work for them, but the band REALLY helps. (I can eat more than 1 cup of food.)

No idea, probably different for different people. My challenges are upper tights and lower abdomen. I think fat-loss is generally an all-over thing, though.

No where near.

I eat a lot less and I'm very satisfied. I don't ever feel deprived. I think I'm enjoying food now more than I did before.

1. After Lap Band is it hard to sleep at night? Can you comfortably sleep on your stomach or your side? It took me a about a week to sleep in my bed, after that I had no problems - I sleep on my side every night

2. Gummi Vitamins yes or no? YES

3. What is everyone's exercise routine? Is everyone hardcore for daily exercise? Walking - not hardcore

4. My main problem is that I NEVER feel full, even after I eat. Will the band help me FEEL full on just a cup of food sufficiently? Once you reach restriction, but bandster hell takes a while...

5:A lot of my extra weight is in my hips and thighs. Does this weight come off last after stomach weight? I'm bottom and surprisingly I've lost a lot in my hips and thighs. I think it's different for everyone.

6: Anyone have the band for over 5 years here? Any long term problems? No, 3 months

7: Do you find that you are satisfied on eating less by feeling full after wards. Yes, I'm finally getting restriction and feeling full.

Good questions! Godd luck in your decision!