Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it varies by person and I've seen snippets here and there but I am just wondering there are some things that you have found that you cannot eat. Just want to start thinking about eating with the band, the right way!

Thanks.

I know it varies by person and I've seen snippets here and there but I am just wondering there are some things that you have found that you cannot eat. Just want to start thinking about eating with the band, the right way!

Thanks.

I would like to know as well.The leaflet I got from the hospital yesterday after getting my band says:

Tough red meats

Soft white bread

String Vegetables

Prawns

Boiled rice

Pineapples

eggs

Why eggs? I would have thought that a nice soft boiled egg would have been no problem.

My first PB was on toast, so I don't eat bread, wraps, etc. I might be able to, but that PB was like aversion therapy and I haven't wanted to try them again!

I avoid stringy meat and veggies - sometimes the meat is okay if really tender, sometimes not.

I can eat omelettes - I think some people have trouble with scrambled eggs (I don't care for those).

I'm not a steak lover and haven't tried steak since surgery.

I do okay with rice, but eat only about 1 tsp of it and always make sure it is well cooked.

HTH!!

Well, for me it seems to change (don't know why) something will go down at lunch but not at dinner. About 2 weeks after surgery I didn't chew well on a hardboiled egg, not nice. I eat them over med. but not scrambled, I can barely stand to cook em. I can eat grilled, roasted, & baked chicken, but if it is chunky bites I can't do it. Some dinner rolls are fine, but I try to only have well toasted bread (if any) Rice is ok, but all veggies must be well done or I can't get them down. Beef works for me, steak & prime rib work as long as I chew. A yam is fine, but a white potato is 3lbs. no matter what.

I can eat eat almost anything - as long as I remember small bites, eat slow & chew. That being said, I usually don't remember to follow the rules throughout the meal, unless I am eating something I know could be a problem, like steak or calamari. THEN, I'm careful. The food that has given me the most problem is chicken legs (not the white meat). I guess its because I e3at them off the bone and take too big of a bite. Since the meat is moist, I probably don't chew it enough. I'll eventually get there...

Why eggs? I would have thought that a nice soft boiled egg would have been no problem.

I wouldn't have thought they'd be a problem either, but I can rarely keep eggs down no matter how they're cooked. I really like eggs too, and they're such a good Protein source. It's a bummer.

I have trouble with bread items (toasted or not) and tortillas, but if I chew them til pulverized it is ok. I have noticed that anything I eat that is finger food is hard; I think it is because I take too big of a bite. When the food is on my fork I am a better judge of how much is going into my mouth. I can eat eggs, but scrambled are difficult.

I would like to know as well.The leaflet I got from the hospital yesterday after getting my band says:

Tough red meats

Soft white bread

String Vegetables

Prawns

Boiled rice

Pineapples

eggs

Where I had my surgery (NYU) allows eggs even at the mushy stage - scrambled, egg salad and soft boiled (prob mashed a big though)

Bummer for those of you that can't eat eggs. I do egg salad daily.

I can't eat a piece of meat/pork/chicken off a plate anymore. Everything needs to be mushy, that is, it has to be in Soup, gravy or with low fat mayo.< /strong>

I can sometimes eat fish, though it has to be moist.

I don't do breads, rice or Pasta. I avoid carbs like the plague. Nutritionist says veggies are carbs, so it's okay if I don't eat the others.

Can't eat a fresh piece of fruit except bananas, unless they are in a fruit cocktail form. Plums, I can't eat no matter what. I miss being able to grab a piece of fruit.

My friend can't eat meats, but can eat dry toast. Go figure.

oh, and shrimps a killer!

:blink:suffice to say, we don't go out for dinner much lol

Edited by samanthazzz

I have the most problem with rotisserie chicken. For me the dryer my meat is the better. Grilled chicken goes down perfectly. I've never had any problems with anything else as long as I slow down and chew carefully.

Bummer for those of you that can't eat eggs. I do egg salad daily.

I can't eat a piece of meat/pork/chicken off a plate anymore. Everything needs to be mushy, that is, it has to be in Soup, gravy or with low fat mayo.< /strong>

I can sometimes eat fish, though it has to be moist.

I don't do breads, rice or Pasta. I avoid carbs like the plague. Nutritionist says veggies are carbs, so it's okay if I don't eat the others.

Can't eat a fresh piece of fruit except bananas, unless they are in a fruit cocktail form. Plums, I can't eat no matter what. I miss being able to grab a piece of fruit.

My friend can't eat meats, but can eat dry toast. Go figure.

oh, and shrimps a killer!

:blink:suffice to say, we don't go out for dinner much lol

:biggrin: Wow, so what DO you eat? I can't pulverize food in my mouth by chewing it to death. . .i tried that several times and ended up spitting it out or vomiting. . AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY BAND YET! I guess I'll be livin on baby foods and Water for the rest of my life huh????? BEEF & FARINA by Gerber! ewwww:w00t:

I can eat eggs okay. I put one in my tuna salad. My nut suggested egg beaters but ugh on them. I'd rather have the real thing. Now, cheese is another thing...can't eat it. Oh, I can get it down but my stomach doesn't like it and I was the biggest cheese eater prior to the band. Haven't tried bread yet. After reading so many negative comments about bread, I'm afraid to try it and I don't miss it much. My nut says to toast all bread real good.

I think the main thing in all of this food is to chew, chew, chew. It's hard to remember to do that when you're in a hurry. I also find it hard to NOT drink while eating.

I have a list of things I can no longer eat

Red meat - Not good - sometimes I can do hamburger meat if it is mixed with something and cooked as fine as I can get it.

Lettuce was a huge mistake - my first time PBing was with a very small piece of lettuce. Can't do cole slaw either no matter how chopped up it is.

Strawberrys kill me and most other fruits do as well dried or fresh

Milk doesn't set really well on my stomach anymore, makes it pretty upset for awhile after drinking it.

No bread or torillas

But I will say, when you get sick on something you have a tendancy to never want to eat it again, so I guess that's a good thing.

I eat alot of chicken, eggs, cheese, Beans (as long as they are really well cooked) rice is ok. I swear though I am going to start clucking and growing feathers one day from eating so much chicken. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Wow, so what DO you eat? I can't pulverize food in my mouth by chewing it to death. . .i tried that several times and ended up spitting it out or vomiting. . AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY BAND YET! I guess I'll be livin on baby foods and Water for the rest of my life huh????? BEEF & FARINA by Gerber! ewwww:w00t:

Please do not go on this one person's experience. I am 8 months out and I have never PB'd. I pay attention to what I'm eating, small bites and chew, and stop before I get full.

The only things I have trouble with (and note this is not PB'ing, my stomach just hurts when I eat them) are popcorn and fruit skin. Other than that, I've been fine.

Good luck with your surgery!