Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help - advice/help to find a lapband doc., etc.

Hi, I live in Mesquite, Texas (a 'burb of Dallas).

I'm investigating the entire lapband process.

I've been referred to Dr. Richard Anderson at the Surgery Center of Dallas. Has anyone used him? Can anyone tell me anything about him?

I admit, I'm not thrilled at the concept of "going under the knife," even if it is a minor procedure.

Obviously, I'm morbidly obese or I wouldn't be considering this. I'm also disabled, but it has nothing to do with weight -- I have a number of genetic illnesses that make life difficult in the first place. The extra weight only adds to the problems.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for doctors in the Dallas area. I've heard about a Dr. Nguyen Wyn in Frisco but haven't been able to find an address or phone number on him.

I have 2 srikes against me going in:

1) I'm on Medicare and, while I have several different problems that QUALIFY me completely for lapband, I know Medicare will fight it. As I'm disabled, I don't work and have absolutely NO income outside of Medicare and Social Security Disability (not married; no second income).

2) My longtime gastroenterologist, I discovered recently, wrote in his notes -- ON RECORD -- that I am suing a hospital where I was taken in a coma last year. I was severely mistreated there and actually physically abused. I seriously CONSIDERED suing them for it, but knew I wouldn't have the money or enough witnesses to do anything, so I didn't pursue it. I mentioned to my GI that I *wanted* to sue them, but never that I was doing so. Now, when he refers me to any other doctor and sends copies of is records, the doctors see that and refuse to treat me. They've never come right out and said it, but I've never been turned away from any doctor before, so I feel quite certain that's what's happening.

My internist believes I'd be a good candidcate for lapband (I really do *not* want a gastric bypass for so many reasons, some of which are medical), but finding someone who will do it on Medicare is going to be tough. I simply cannot pay for it out of pocket as I do not have that kind of money.

ANY ideas, suggestions, names of surgeons (and their phone numbers or websites) would be seriously appreciated.

By the way, what's a "fill in" doctor?

Thanks!

Laura

Laura, I don't know of any Dr. in Texas but I wanted to tell you that I also am disabled and get SSD. Medicare paid 80% of my Lap-Band Bill! They did not fight me AT ALL! Didn't have to pre-qualify either! Just keep searching for a Dr that will take Medicare.

Good Luck and Welcome to LBT!!!

Thanks for the information. I'll check into them.

Can you please tell me who your GI doctors are? I need a new one, and obviously, I can't get one with what my last GI doctor has written. I no longer see him because he refuses to treat me, I suspect over my "alleged lawsuit" of that hospital.

Laura, I don't know of any Dr. in Texas but I wanted to tell you that I also am disabled and get SSD. Medicare paid 80% of my Lap-Band Bill! They did not fight me AT ALL! Didn't have to pre-qualify either! Just keep searching for a Dr that will take Medicare.

Good Luck and Welcome to LBT!!!

Thanks, Terri.

I hope I can find someone to help me. I am beyond depressed, and I have to say, having read some of the comments herein, it's scared me more than I want to admit to continue considering the surgery.

As it stands right now, I have no quality of life, due to my disabilities, and I can only hope that the surgery would help. There's no guarantees, however.

BTW, Phoenix and Tucson, along with London, England, are my three favorite places on the face of the earth. I miss traveling something fierce.

Laura

Mesquite, Texas

Hi Laura, another fellow Mesquiter here. I was banded on 9/23 with Dr. Benavides in Richardson. I have also met Dr. Barker as well, three years ago. I went with Dr. B, because he was closer to my work. I know other have got the LapBand on Medicare, but I can't say for sure if Dr. Benavides or Dr. Barker take Medicare. I wish you best of luck and this is a great site for support.

Hi,

Dr. Robert Powell did my surgery. I am also from the Mesquite area. They do have a support group for both pre-ops and post-ops at the Surgery Center of Richardson on every 3rd Sunday. I believe (not sure) it is at 2pm.

I've heard a lot of great things about Dr. Barker. A former instructor of mine works for him now as his office manager, she will do her best to get you approved if it is possible.

Best of luck to ya!

Laura, Terri, Keri and Carrie,

What are the odds on all those names being so close? LOL

Thank you all so much for your information. I am SO concerned about this whole process.

I need some reassurances outside of just going to the doctors and hearing about their programs.

Do any of you suffer from IBD/IBS or spastic colitis, and if so, how has this surgery affected you? I've suffered with that one all my life, and I swear I'd rather have an arm cut off than have an upset stomach.

As it is, I'm eating roughly one meal a day -- it's all I can get down -- and from what I've read I'll actually be eating a whole lot more than I currently do. I avoid eating because it just hurts too much. Unfortunately, that causes my metabolism to go into "starvation mode," which only aggravates the weight problem.

If anyone has any positive comments on this, I'd so appreciate knowing about them.

I'm willing to bet I'm a whole lot older than the rest of you! To be so cowardly about this is just overwhelming and so unlike me.

Again, thank you all. I very much appreciate your support and your comments.

Laura

in Mesquite, Texas