Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Assignment: Geraldo Rivera

I think there is more than one kind of skinny person. Some have high metab, some make the choices and some just DON'T CARE all that much about food. My two sons were different about food from the minute they were born. My oldest LOVED to eat and even tho he had nothing but breastmilk until he was 9 months old he was a chubby baby. He would suckle for hours. Since I was a LaLeche League convert that was okay by me. Now I'm not so sure... but really, I don't think it would have made any difference at all in the long run. He is a fine young man now, but at 21 and 6'2"--probably about 280#. While my YOUNGER son only suckled for as long as he had to before he got on with his baby day. He weaned himself at 7 months and never looked back. He never could care less about food. Now he's about 5'10" and I doubt he weighs even 150#. At dessert time I used to ask something like, "Who wants ice cream?" and half the time Arthur (the younger) would say, "Not me... I'm full" and John (the older) and I would just look at him and think, What's THAT got to do with it??

Arthur just doesn't care all that much about food. It's only a tool to keep his stomach from growling. My exhusband was the same way.

My mother is a skinny. She eats like a horse - all the time and everything in sight that is bad for you. At 69, she is once again complaining that her size 1 and 2 clothes have to be taken in. But she works and runs constantly.

Since my dad died she lives alone but she was like this my whole life. I can call at 7 and she already has done laundry, canned some pickles, put lunch in the oven/crockpot, and is getting ready to clean some carpet. You can call at 2 and she will probably be tearing down wallpaper in some room and getting ready to pain. Call at 10:30 and she might be wondering if she should sweep the garage before she goes to bed. Now my garage hasn't been swept since 2002 so I now we know why I'm still morbidly obese and she's skinny.

Are we long lost sisters?? That sounds EXACTLY like my mom! I personally could never figure out how two skinny people (my dad never got over 150lbs and my mom at 105 lbs) had such fat kids! frown.gif

For some reason my mom can't sit still.. perhaps it's the 10 cups of coffee she drinks each morning!

It's a friggin mystery to me why I'm fat. I go go go all the time, forget to eat, and usually make good food choices. However, I'm really inconsistent about WHEN I eat. My very skinny friend is constantly eating good foods. She always has a healthy snack in her purse. She says it keeps her from getting low blood sugar and craving the bad stuff. Good idea!

I tried to call my best friend and ask her this question, but she wasn't around. She's about 5ft 2in and wears a size 1, 2 at the most. She eats nonstop all day. None of that healthy stuff either - burgers, chips, chocolate, mayonaisse crackers for goodness sakes! LOL

She reminds me alot of a Jack Russel terrier though, so I just assume that's how she stays so small, always bouncing around. Her mother was the same way til she hit about 35 then BOOM - gained about 75 lbs.

I have 2 sons. One is skinny, one is not. My skinny boy is 17 and we can go out to big extended family dinners and he will just order Water. I ask him "why don't you eat??" He looks at me and says "simple, mom. I'm not hungry".

I don't get that. I would eat just for the pary of it. Also, I make this delicious Oklahoma style banana pudding. He loves it yet he will eat half a big bowl full and I catch him tossing the rest out. This is his favorite dish yet when he is full...........he stops eating. My chunky son and I watch this in amazement.

My husband is the skinny one. After 13 years of marriage he still wears 32 waist jeans. Me on the other hand,,,,,from a size 9 or 11 to size 22. He just seems to move his body a lot. He is always doing something, and doing it at a fast efficient pace. I want things done the right way, but I like to do them the easiest way possible. I think I am a little lazy, lol. If I spend 30 minutes vaccuuming a room he can do the same room in 15. I swear he just moves faster and moves around more, and must have a raging metabolism because of that. So.......I think think part of the key is that exercise doesnt have to be "formal exercise" like working out or walking, just doing anything that moves the body and burns the calories. I know I dont use enough energy that way.

I asked a skinny friend the question today and you could tell, it just went over her head. What she does (choose good foods, no red meat, stop when full, smaller portions) is just what she does, I don't think she thinks about it. When she started talking about diet, she was really giving me advice that her mom would have given me. Her mom is a Weight Watchers leader. I wanted HER story. She's so petite and small and has no trouble maintaining her weight, all I got was advice. So, I either asked wrong, or she doesn't have a clue, which tells me she's one of those that just does what makes sense and has no trouble with it. I want that gene.

Out to find more skinnies. Reporting from Charlotte, NC, this is Kathy. Back to you.

My co-worker is one of those high energy types. I can't keep up with her even when we are just walking down the hallway (she and I are the same height). One day we went to Wendy's for lunch - I got a salad and she got a burger, fries AND and baked potato!!!! I joked with her about that. She says that in general she eats healthy foods in the right combination. I guess no dinners of Pasta and italian bread without a Protein in sight like I used to do!

Here is a PERFECT example. Went to the movies today. All the way there, I thought...I'm not going to get popcorn today...I'm going to be good. We get there. Hubby is taking the little one to see one movie while I'm going with the older one to a different movie. We stop at the snack bar. Hubby orders himself a medium coke (at a movie theater! .....doesn't everyone get the hugest coke possible?) Now the theater (amc) has signs posted free refill on large sodas and popcorns. I'm thinking WHAT A FREAKING GOOD DEAL! Plus we have a coupon for 50Cents off! So daughter and I split a Large soda and a large popcorn. When I mentioned that refills were free to hubby. He was unimpressed. "So we can refill the too large drink and too large popcorn) I didn't end up getting a refill on popcorn (mainly because I didn't want to miss any of the movie to do it...not because I wouldn't have eaten more popcorn!) Just goes to show you why even though I'm the exerciser in the house I'm still the one who is obese.

Melissa

Getting banded Oct 13th, 2005

Oh Melissa - I can't resist the movie theater popcorn either! I buy the medium bag because it is such a better deal than the small popcorn. That is how the fat me thinks

Laura

You know it has been hard for me because I was one of those "thin" people, very thin (5' 9 1/2" - 133 - 10 years ago) most of my life - it hit me when I turned 35 - I could eat WHATEVER - WHENEVER and it truly did not matter - it is hard to know that I gained 90 lbs in 10 years...working the other way now though. It was like being wealthy and then losing all the money (tee hee)!

Off track but those movie deals ARGH! We took the boys yesterday, I ordered them a small popcorn and a bottle of Water each. I knew it was coming but still felt frustrated when she started with the for 50c more you can have a large popcorn, choc top (ice cream) and large drink combo - and they virtually refuse to sell you what you originally ordered. Of course both boys are going "yeah, I want that!". We were sending them in on their own while we went Christmas shopping for the duration with Eliza. I knew they would fight and end up spilling everything if I made them share. So both boys ended up with a stinking gutload of food.

It infuriates me, absolutely infuriates me how they do that at the movies. Talk about contributing to childhood obesity! It was 10.00 in the morning for crying out loud. I know I'm the one that gave in but sheesh, you could do without the pressure.

Skinny people scare me.

AaaaahHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH LMMFAO!!!!

I love it! I'm going to start saying that! EEwwww Skinny People Scare Me! I hope you don't mind if I adopt this - its just too freakin funny

Ok - everyone probably has one of these friends - but I have this BEAUTIFUL gal pal that I've had since childhood - she is a literal blessed size 2 and sometime size 0 - but she pulls it off - she beautiful and skinny and on top of it she NEVER has to do anything to maintain it. She's 25 and eats like a pig - fast food everyday 3 or 4 times - single never cooks for herself - can eat 1/2 a large pizza in one sitting - never excercises EVER and NEVER has - and has always had PLENTY of men friends. Even my boyfriend talks about how cute she is and it makes me damn freakin mad - I eat better than her and put forth the effort and then take a look at her life. It's just not fair. And don't say it will catch up with her because it won't - her mom is the same way - she annoys me when she talks about "getting a gut" - where in God's name does someone who bounces between a 0 and size 2 have a gut to put somewhere? Ugghhhhhhhhhhh why didn't I get blessed with those genes? Skinny bitch scares me.........LOL