Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random pain at port site

I got banded in June of 08. I'm down 65lbs and had a breast reduction about a month ago.

Lately, however, I have been having just random pain at the port site. Any clues as to why?

I'm sure I need to call my doc, but I'm just curious if anyone ever just gets random pain?

Thank you in advance!

Andrea:frown:

I was banded in March '09 and, yes, I do get random pain at my port. It seems related to my activity level. For example, over the holiday weekend, since I didn't go anywhere, I mowed the lawn (I have an acre), cleaned house like crazy, cleaned out my closet (I mean, seriously .. I can walk into my closet for the first time in something like 3 years, LOL), did a ton of laundry..... and Sunday night, it just plain hurt. I never take any kind of any medicine since I had the surgery, but I took 3 Tylenol and went to bed. It's happened that same way a few other times, like when I steamed 5 rooms of carpet in 2 days on top of regular cleaning, and situations like that. Try a couple of Tylenol and see if it relieves it...and look at what you really did for the 3 or so days before the pain became apparent. You may see a pattern. Remember, if you have the Lap Band AP, the port it stitched to muscle and can pull; if you have the Realize Band, it has metal crimps that they squeeze into the muscle and consistent pulling on the area that you don't even think about at the time can cause the result we're discussing

I took 3 Tylenol and went to bed.

CATHY! is this a typo? You KNOW you aren't supposed to ever more tylenol than the dosing limit; it is extremely hepatotoxic and you can literally ruin your liver by taking too much. I hope you didn't; if you did, don't do it any more! I'm just SURE that you meant "tylenol 3" or something...!!

Edited by RestlessMonkey
Inaccurate Info

Nope, I took 3. Wouldn't be the first time, but then again, I take a dose of Tylenol about once every year or two. Buy the smallest "pocket" packaging they offer because most of it gets thrown away. My doc knows I do that. Heck, when I got a beta strep infection and damn near lost my leg, I took four at once before I went to the emergency room (I was in Key West and had to get someone who actually had a car drive me to Stock Island where the hospital is because I couldn't ride my scooter off the island). Still had a fever of 106 when I got there. Nobody in the ER said a word about the 4 Tylenol ... maybe because they were all focusing on the fact the the infection was in the bone. That was the last time I took Tylenol....November 2007. But whatever. And I didn't tell the OP to take 3... I said "take a couple of Tylenol". But thanks for looking out for me; Lord knows I need a keeper most of the time!!

The effects are not cumulative. Livers can be ruined beyond recovery by 1 overdose. I'm not exaggerating for dramatic effect, either. I'm shocked you missed the brouhaha about cold medicines containing tylenol and people taking additional tylenol. Just because you got away with it a time or two doesn't mean you're impervious, you know. You can not look when you cross the street and make it a time or two; or (for a more adult analogy) have unprotected sex with a stranger and not get diseases (or a baby depending on age) too...but do you risk that?

And I don't know about the ER personnel I only know about me! I wouldn't have let it slide. What good is curing a bone infection only to lose your liver? Hmmm?

If you don't think it's really THAT dangerous, google it.

And QUIT taking 3 or more at once! Take tylenol and an NSAID if you have to take more pain med, but take then both at recommended doses!

Don't make me put you in a time out. It would be for your own good.

I was banded on 17 August 09.. Everything went well.. I was on the treadmill.. and decided it was time to start jogging.. so I began, and felt this pull feelingnear my port...two weeks later, I finally went back to my Doctor, after feeling this pain intermittently.. and also like a bulging near the port site... they sent me over to the hospital for a cat scan same day.... and its a pocket of Fluid surrounding my port... in time my body will absorb it.. they also started me on an antibiotic.. they can drain the fluid.. but with me getting ready to move to colorado if 5 days, its better to let me absorb it.. if its a continual issue.. it cannot hurt to have your Doc check it out.. what could have been a big mess for me, was easily thwarted by an appt, a cat scan.. and a confident surgeon!