Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op not getting in enough calories

I had surgery on 09/01. The liquid stage of my diet went fine I was drinking about 3-4 Protein shakes a day or some Soup. I lost about 5 lbs in a week. I started my mushy diet yesterday and I am so full I can barely get in 600 cal a day. I have stopped losing now and I don't understand, is it b/c I started adding solid foods or b/c I'm not eating enough calories? Between all the Water my doctor warned me I needed to drink and the mushies I am full all the time, and I don't even have a fill yet. What am I going to do once I get the fill? I can barely eat anything now. Have any of you experienced this, and is it going to get any better?

[/url]

blk-weight.png

Edited by aimeenichole

I was banded on August 31st. My doctor has me staying on liquids for two full weeks, and I go to the nutritionist to get the mushy stage diet this Friday. I am still having a shake for Breakfast, lunch, and then some kind of Soup for supper. I am not able to get in more than 45 or so grams of Protein, but I am doing the best I can. I can't wait to get to the mushy stage. Sorry I can't tell you more, but I appreciate your talking about what is happening to you. Keep in touch, because we were banded at almost the same time!:blushing:

I agree w/Rebecca-what a good question. I to, was banded on 8/31(I guess we're band sisters-duh...)ANYWAY-your question makes a lot of sense--I can't wait to read what other people say about this. Just another reason I read these posts. After I get my 2-3 shakes in, I'm getting close to getting full also. Again, thanks for such a good question.

I almost feel like just going back to all liquids at least I was losing weight. It is so much easier to know what to eat also. I don't have to worry about what I'm going to puree, and I make sure to get all my liquids in. Maybe your guys doctors were right to leave you on liquids for 2 weeks instead of 1. Thanks for the replies.

blk-weight.png

I was banded Aug 25th two weeks and one day ago!! Just now I'm feeling like I have energy back. All our Dr's are different. My dr required first three days liquids, then pureed till day 10 now I've started with real solid Protein. I lost 22 pounds in three week. Since last week not one pound! I'm hardly eating as well I get full. What I did the first few days was made sure I was getting enough protein in me so that I had my nutrients in me and Water. I was dehydrated and felt awful. I ended up buying a Protein Powder from GNC that had 60 grams of protein in one serving. I thought if I can get my days worth in one meal, I wouldn't stress so much about not eating. We all are different but I'm slowly now getting hunger pains back. The first 10 days I hardly ate a thing. Give it time you'll adjust. As for the not losing weight...I'm trying to not be frustrated but it's like what the heck...next week if I don't lose I'll really be upset...I'm walking and eating right...a friend reminded me I have to do the work now...my band is only a tool...

i was banded on 9-1 and im still on liquids im supposed to be on liquids 2 weeks but im not doing the Protein Shakes cant get them down and sometimes im only eating 1 can of Soup a day at best i get 2 cans down but now im scared for the mushy stage because im so tired of soup that i will overdo mushies.

Hey! I was banded on the 28th of August, and I also felt that full feeling. It was hard for me to even drink Water I felt so full. However, that sensation has subsided some now that the swelling has decreased. So, my guess is that once your body heals and gets used to it's new addition you will start to feel hungry again.

As far as the weight loss is concerned, the same thing happened to me as well. I lost 15 pounds in a week and then nothing. I have actually put two pounds back on even though I am eating about 1/4 of what I used to...it's so frustrating! The only thing I can assume is that our metabolisms are adjusting for the new calorie consumption. And, don't forget that our bodies are built to survive, so they are probably just holding on to our extra stores.

We'll get there... we just need to be patient.

Good luck to all of you!:w00t:

Hi everyone -

What you are all experiencing is very normal. My doc told me I likely would not be able to get the calories in right away - remember you are still healing!!! Your appetite will likely return within a few weeks and with a vengence!! Until then, just do the best you can to get your calories in. I think you will find your appeite slowly increasing and your calories slowly increasing as well.

Don't worry about the scale and not losing during this time - this is a time for healing. It is VERY NORMAL to not lose (my doc said I may even gain) during this period. I gained and lost the same 3 pounds weeks 2-6. I know it is frustrating to come to a standstill after losing on the preop diet and immediately after surgery, but honestly it's just part of the process for many.

IF you still aren't hungry when it's time for your first fill, then you won't need one! There are a few bandsters who experience this, although I think most have their appetites return in full force and are more than ready for that first fill! Stick with your doc's plan and don't worry about the scale. Try to get in as much Protein and aim for the calories you doc wants when you are able - your body really does need them.

Best of luck to you all!

Edited by bambam

Have you tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand Protein shakes? They are the only ones I can get down. Tastes like chocolate milk.

weight.png

It could be simply that you aren't getting enough Protein... are you still drinking the Protein shakes? I was banded on May 19th.. I was on liquids for 2 wks... my surgeon has us do Carnation Instant Breakfast 3 times a day... which has a decent amount of Protein, in addition to Soup, etc... but when I moved to the mushy stage, they still had us have the CIB twice a day... remember to focus on your protein first when you do eat... and use the Protein Shakes in between meals to supplement and to make sure you are getting enough protein.. the last thing you want to do once you have gotten to the mushy phase is to drink all your protein, but nothing wrong w/supplementing... I am a little over 3 months post op and I STILL supplement w/protein shakes/bars and I focus on my protein before anything else...

I had surgery on 09/01. The liquid stage of my diet went fine I was drinking about 3-4 protein shakes a day or some soup. I lost about 5 lbs in a week. I started my mushy diet yesterday and I am so full I can barely get in 600 cal a day. I have stopped losing now and I don't understand, is it b/c I started adding solid foods or b/c I'm not eating enough calories? Between all the Water my doctor warned me I needed to drink and the mushies I am full all the time, and I don't even have a fill yet. What am I going to do once I get the fill? I can barely eat anything now. Have any of you experienced this, and is it going to get any better?

blk-weight.png

It could be simply that you aren't getting enough protein... are you still drinking the Protein Shakes? I was banded on May 19th.. I was on liquids for 2 wks... my surgeon has us do Carnation Instant Breakfast 3 times a day... which has a decent amount of Protein, in addition to Soup, etc... but when I moved to the mushy stage, they still had us have the CIB twice a day... remember to focus on your protein first when you do eat... and use the protein shakes in between meals to supplement and to make sure you are getting enough protein.. the last thing you want to do once you have gotten to the mushy phase is to drink all your protein, but nothing wrong w/supplementing... I am a little over 3 months post op and I STILL supplement w/protein shakes/bars and I focus on my protein before anything else...

No that's not the problem for sure. I got 100 grams of protein in yesterday and only 640 calories. I just don't know how you are supposed to get in all the liquids you need to drink in a day without drinking the protein shakes. So I have been doing half shakes/half mushies. I don't really know why everyone seems to have a hard time getting their protein in. I am having a hard time figuring how you get everything else in (fat, carbs, water.) Thanks for the comment.

weight.png

Edited by aimeenichole

Aimee -

I was in the same boat and my nutritionist told me at some point I may need to cut back on my Protein (since it was so high) to get the other things in. I typically eat protein and a yogurt for breakfast (for my dairy), protein and a banana for lunch (for my fruit) and protein and a veggie for dinner. I'm eating about 3-4 ounces of protein at a meal along with my other item.

Getting the protein in was much easier for me when I didn't have much restriction - it has gotten to be a little harder now that I have good restriction - so you may find that changes and you may need to keep a closer eye on your protein numbers (if you continue to track them).

As I said in my post above, your appetite will increase as you heal so this should only be temporary. I really have to force myself to get the Water in, whether I feel full or not. I just make it a habit of sipping 30 minutes after my meal or else I know I will be short.

Hope this has helped.

Edited by bambam

I had surgery on 09/01. The liquid stage of my diet went fine I was drinking about 3-4 Protein Shakes a day or some Soup. I lost about 5 lbs in a week. I started my mushy diet yesterday and I am so full I can barely get in 600 cal a day. I have stopped losing now and I don't understand, is it b/c I started adding solid foods or b/c I'm not eating enough calories? Between all the Water my doctor warned me I needed to drink and the mushies I am full all the time, and I don't even have a fill yet. What am I going to do once I get the fill? I can barely eat anything now. Have any of you experienced this, and is it going to get any better?

blk-weight.png

Hello my friend, well from what I know about metabolism, the problem may just be that your not getting enough calories as you mentioned. What happens to the body which is being "starved" is that it goes into survival mode and the metabolism slows down to a crawl, hence, no weight loss. What you might want to do is exercise more. . .sounds dreaded i know, but increase the exercise. Try that and maybe you can boost that metabolism out of "starve' mode. . .hope this helps

Hi Aimee - if you are having a hard time getting your liquids in and are eating plenty of Protein, then maybe switch to some warm liquids...coffee, tea, hot chocolate, broth and maybe that will help increase your intake.

Don't worry so much about your weight - if you're still losing without restriction you're doing great! Don't worry if for a week you haven't lost anything. That's very common. Alot of what you lost initially could have been "water weight" and that comes off very fast. Also since you are recently banded you have the swelling issue.

Any weight you lose after getting banded and before restriction is kind of gravy at this point, since basically after you regain your appetite, you're "dieting" to lose weight until the band does it's job. It's very hard to be patient with the band. Be happy you're not hungry - that will come soon enough!

Be sure to get in enough calories because the body does start to conserve if you don't and you're metabolism can slow down (as mentioned previously). 1100-1300 calories should be sufficient and still lose slowly. Just don't obsess over the numbers yet. It's too soon to be concerned.

Good luck in your journey!

For those that don't like Protein Shakes try Isopure. It is sold at GNC and other similar stores and is a Liquid Protein drink. It comes in many gatorade like flavors. A 20 fl oz bottle has 170 calories (similar to Protein shakes), 40 gms of protein, and NO CARBS OR SUGAR!!

These are getting me through the liquid diet because I just can't stand the protein shakes anymore... hope this helps a bit.