Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 8/27..need help liquid/puree/mushy ???

Hey Folks,

The good news is I was banded on 8/27. I started really trying hard to lose as of 8/1, followed a week long preop liquid diet. I started on 8/1 at 312lbs or so. On my surgery day I was 295, which was nice. Today I'm 285, which is also nice, but I feel like I lost weight a few days post op, and I havent lost since.

I'm being realistic, please dont get me wrong. I'm down 10lbs, 1 week post op, and I'll take that. This is a marathon, not a 100 yard dash.....My head is ok in that respect.

I'm a little confused about my post op diet though. I saw a recommended nutritionist pre op and she was great in laying out the pre an post op plans. I felt great about it, until I was about to be discharged from the hospital after surgery. I was in formed that my nutritionists 2 week post op liquid plan was wrong. I should be on liquids for 4 WEEKS. I didnt mind really, but it came as a surprise. I told the doctor, and he said if I cant stand liquids by week 3, I can move to puree.

QUESTION....My preop diet taught me the concept of "FULL LIQUIDS" including puddings, yogurt, skim milk, shakes, etc. Arent purees considered full iquids?

So, I'm doing ok with the diet, but find myself making a few misjudgements, if you would with the liquids, or purees....

Can I have cream Soups during this stage? What cream Soups are considered unhealthy? (I though most were)

My understanding as of today is that I will then transition to a mushy stage. MASHED POTATO type. I'm ready for this stage....egg salad, tuna salad, etc.....I'm ok with that.

When it's time to actually go back to solid food, what are people eating? In what order? Is it Protein first, then a carb, like a veg?

I want to make an appointment with another dietician, but I though I'd ask here first. I guess I need help from new Bandsters, and old ones to help me plan better and have better success in the long run.

Thanks For your help,

Bill:smile2:

Hi Bill, I too had my band placed on 8/27. I use low or fat free cream Soups, egg drop Soup, yogurt, Protein Shakes. costco has these Protein Drinks that have 30 gm of Protein in them and they are really yummy if you like chocolate. On the 13th of sept. I will start my soft solids. I have pureed veg. soup and just added a bit more Water so it isn't to thick. good luck, Cyndie

Hi Bill, I too had my band placed on 8/27. I use low or fat free cream Soups, egg drop Soup, yogurt, Protein shakes. costco has these Protein drinks that have 30 gm of protein in them and they are really yummy if you like chocolate. On the 13th of sept. I will start my soft solids. I have pureed veg. soup and just added a bit more Water so it isn't to thick. good luck, Cyndie

What is the name of the Protein Drink that COSCO has.. THanks

You really should clarify this with your surgeon. Each diet, each doc, is slightly different. What I could have on my "full liquids" phase, for example, was WAS less lax and broad than most posters. They were quite specific.

And if you were told "liquids for 4 weeks" and aren't sure what that means, then the doc needs to set you straight.