Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets - Part 5!

Long, but a good read..

Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio ...

"To Celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most-requested column I've ever written.

My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

12.. It's OK to let your children see you cry.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

26.. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone everything.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

33. Believe in miracles..

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

37. Your children get only one childhood.

38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's,we'd grab ours back.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

42. The best is yet to come.

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

44. Yield.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."

LOL Susie, I've never had funnel cake!

I have never had it either!

When I lift weights, I like rock music...one of my favs is Rage Against the Machine; Killing in the Name Of.

This is one of my absolute favorite songs!

have a good afternoon

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.

Boy, I sure wish I could get pass #3.

There is a woman on my FB, that I knew when I was a kid, have not seen her in years, and she has been posting these, one at a time, like she has some wise insight. I about cracked up when I read them here.

She was not the sharpest crayon in the box back then.....guess some things never change!!!

Suzie, there are several things I wish I had taken heed of in the list before now......both in financial consideration, and emotional...

LOL Kat, that is hilarious.

I thought it was good, and I sent it on to my friend who I think needed to see.. if a relationship is a secret, it's not a good relationship.

It just struck me as funny Laura, because I knew she was getting them from somewhere, I figured a calendar, or email, but she is listing them daily....as her little motivational tidbits....in exact order tho!

I have wonderful news tonight----for me! DS turned down the transfer, said if they have to lay him off, then get to it. He was not willing to take his sons away from family, nor was he willing to move that far away from his daughter. Wow.....responsibility...out of him??? Who woulda thunk it!!! LOL!!!

I know my kids may not always live close, and it was not that type of thing I was so worried about. Yes it was sad, and I felt sorry for myself over it, I just worried.

Garrick is holding his head up, and looking around, following things already! He turned a month old on the 7th---it is going by soooo fast!

He is losing his hair....but not in the usual baby pattern across the back of the head from laying on it. He is losing his like a man with male pattern baldness! The top front of his little head is smooth---it is so freaking cute!!! We tell him he looks like his uncle and great grandpa! Rick missed that gene, every other man in the family is bald---Rick has a head full of hair, he keeps buzzed just as short as we can get it without using a Bic!! And the rest of them are super hairy---chests, legs, beards etc. Not Rick!! He is the opposite of them all!

We had company all evening, a guy Rick works with hung out. We never got the steak grilled, so guess we will do it tomorrow!

I am off to play a couple of games and go to bed. I made myself put down my book, or I would be up all night reading!

See ya tomorrow.

Good evening!!

Just got home, went to a church picnic. Split a funnel cake with three other people, but not really that good.

I am going to bed so I can get up and face the day tomorrow!!

hi

just want to say hello, and let you all know i am more than done with kev, we are not even speaking and i filed court papers. have lots of anger because he is not man enough to tell me anything other than he loves me and then falls off the face of the earth, but I'm done. going on a real date either tonight or tomorrow

putting a big part of my "shit" behind me...

Laura - that was well said... about the relationship thing

Morning,

Up and getting ready to go to my Support Group meeting. I really need it today. Besides, it wiill be good to see everyone.

Than I have to work at Church this afternoon. Other that that, I'm free

Kat, Garrett a month old? Wow. And Kuddos on DS not moving.

Have a great day everyone.

Hey girls~

Woke up sick! So bummed cause I am supposed to go to Lynard Skynard tonight! Not sure if I am gonna make it :wink:

Made Susanne's mom Sopapilla Cheesecake since her birthday was yesterday...the house smells sooooo good!

Have a great day!

xooxoxox

Good afternoon, Violets..

It's been a good day so far. I had Breakfast with friends and then went to the support group meeting. Everyone was doing well and we had two new members plus I got a call from someone when I got home and they wanted to join also.

I'm so glad I started the group because there was nothing for anyone before that.

I came home and got my swimsuit on and jumped in the pool. I did some exercises and then floated around on the raft for about an hour. I actually fell asleep for awhile. Good thing it wasn't blazing hot or I would have been burned to a crisp. It's 74 out right now and was 45 when I got up this morning. The pool felt really good. We have probably a few more days of good weather and then it will start being cool during the day and I'll have to reluctantly think about closing up the pool for the season. The leaves are changing color here now. Cool nights and warm days will make them change faster. I'm not ready for winter except for our cruise in January, but that's a long way off.

We're headed to Kris and Nathan's tonight for supper. I'll get some more Grady time. He sure is happier now that his two teeth are in and he eats baby food like he won't ever get anymore! He's still not sleeping like he should, but I think that's just his personality. I guess it's a blessing in disguise that Kris didn't go back to work. She would never be able to function at a job on the little sleep she gets.

Off to enjoy the backyard a bit before we head to Kris's.

Everyone have a great weekend!!

Good morning, Violets..

I'm up and getting ready for church. Had a good dinner at Kris's and walked over to their neighbor's to see the new house they're building.

I'm anxious to hear how Grady and mom did last night. She was going to try and let him cry it out. He's getting up every couple of hours even though he's bathed, fed and changed. He just wants mommy and she's not getting any sleep. Sooooooooo last night was the big experiment. Hope she's not completely frazzled today.

Off to get breakfast and then be on my way. Everyone have a great day. Be good to yourselves.

Michelle said she couldn't get on here yesterday. She's on her way to N.J. to help out. Her MIL had a little set back and won't be coming home until tomorrow, so Michelle went to help out and her mom is at home with the kids being Michelle's clone. ((hugs)) Michelle!!