Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band rules you consistently 'break'?

I drink and eat together all the time, and always have done. I dont drink a LOT, but I'll have a sip of wine or coffee in between bites, depending what meal of the day it is, lol, dont have wine at Breakfast.

It never ever made a difference to me how full I felt or how full I stayed, but at this restriction, I couldnt gulp a drink or drink a lot with food.

I've also never done Protein first, becuase that's not a rule here in Australia. I eat carbs, shock, horror, in fact I have a diet based more on carbs than Protein. I limit animal foods, saturated fat etc, so I dont eat a lot of meat, I'd never eat more than an egg or two in a week and I dont consider cheese a staple food, its more of a condiment due to its fat and salt content. I think lunch meats are digustingly full of chemicals and additives and a good way to give yourself a brain tumour or some equally dire outcome. I also limit sugar and white carbs, but if I'm going to indulge, I eat the real sugar version, I dont eat artificial sweeteners.

Carbonation isnt really an issue for me, since apart from the occasional champagne, I dont drink anything like Coke etc. Yuck. Dissolves your bones and wrecks your kidneys.

Lol, bit paranoid arent it?

But I eat as much fruit, vegies, wholegrains and cereals as I fancy.

coffee is also not a rule for me, but it if was banned, its a rule I'd break.

apart from the drinking issue, I follow what I was advised to do, but compared to the rules you guys have, I'm breaking all YOUR rules.

Edited by Jachut

I am in the liquids stage - I eat M&M's. well - the plain small one - I let ab 4 or 5 just melt completely in my mouth. I'm sooo bad.

I have a hard time with the no snacking rule. Also am not going to diet, I tried that for years and just got fatter,so I am about moderation and I try to make healthier choices, Lost weight well at first but now have stayed the same for 3 months. Was banned Oct08 and have lost 50 pds but need to loss about forty more. Surgeon really read me the riot act on last appointment, and I understand wear he is coming from, but telling me I will not be successful with band if I continue with present behavior is not the way to deal with a food addict that is having a hard time. I am not saying I am not responsibility for my actions I just wish the program had more support and help with the food problem. Just because I have the band does not mean I still do not emotionally eat or at least want too. Before all of you want to start fussing at me for not following the rules and such,please do not, But if you understand wear I am coming from and maybe we can help each other please post and give me some support and wisdom on overcoming this addiction.

I drink a PepsiOne almost daily (only one). And I also always drank with my meals. I haven't had any issues and am losing at a pace that is perfect for me.

I struggle with the snacking rule. Also, it only take me about 15 to twenty minutes to eat. Overall, I am pleased with myself..

I eat breads sometimes........ pizza sometimes. I miss my diet Pepsi sometimes but I drank waaaaay to much of it before. I think I waited 2 months before drinking alcohol. Sometimes I do drink beer.

I haven't stuck with the no drinking during meals rule at all. That's really the only one I have a hard time with -- otherwise, I'm pretty good.

Catherine

I am 3 weeks post op and think I have broken every rule already. I have little, if any, restriction. Nothing bothers me, nothing gets stuck. I can take my horse-pill Vitamins without a problem I've drank small amounts of soda - no problem, I eat without chewing - no problem - this sucks! If it wasn't for the surgical scars - I would never know I had anything done.

I am fighting the urge to eat normally, I try and maintain a soft, low-carb diet.....but it's not easy where there are no penalties.

Can't wait for my first fill so I can feel something.....:biggrin:

I read all the previous posts in this thread. I can't imagine WHY anyone would pay the amount we pay for surgery, go thru surgery, pain, have scars, etc. etc and then talk about CHEATING!

My goodness, I feel so fortunate to be able to even have the surgery at all. I was told in New Orleans that I was too old for it and I thought I would die a fat old lady someday.

We retired and moved home to Alabama. Shortly after doing that, my health started falling apart on me. I was rushing to the end of my life as my doctor said. He suggested the Lapband for me and when he did, I started crying I was so happy.

Now, I have a chance to live a long life, a healthier life and a skinnier life. NO WAY, am I going to goof it up now!

I'll eat and drink exactly what my book of directions says.

I'm not gambling and playing around with all of this journey.

I plan to win!

as you should.

but i or others may not have been given what's in your book.

my surgeon handles patients case by case,

for example - my husband is also banded; he suggests my hubby have 3 meals a day & 1 snack......me, i should eat 6-7 small meals a day. you have to have some bending action here because what works for one - won't the other.

i say i break all the rules - because it's insane to put a rule book out there on this process.

different surgeons - different pre/post op diet. impossible to make this a one stop shop - some have psych issues related to food, i had a fork one......when food was good, i coulnd't put it down.

i paid for my band & hubby's the same day, so while i might sound flippant - $30k nut was spent for our health & don't regret it.

I read all the previous posts in this thread. I can't imagine WHY anyone would pay the amount we pay for surgery, go thru surgery, pain, have scars, etc. etc and then talk about CHEATING!

!

I guess if we were all perfect, diet and exercise would do the trick. But we're human.

I'm almost 3 months post surgery, but I still have problems remembering to take small bites, eat slowly, and chew thououghyl. This wasn't a problem until my 2nd fill, and I have paid the price when I don't. You'd think I would have learned after the first time something got stuck, but I seem to be slow on the uptake. It's definately a work in progress...

I had my first glass of wine at 3 weeks post op, when I started on solids. I usually have a glass of wine before eating several times a week, and sometimes, a second glass after eating. I also sometime take a tiny sip of liquid while eating, if what I'm having is dry - maybe 2-3 sips the entire meal. My surgeon says if I can handle it, its ok.

Me too, I have wine 3-4 times a week but only a glass or so because I can't handle anymore than that. I will also take small sips during my meal because sometimes I am just SUPER thirsty. And sometimes I don't wait the full hour after eating to drink something. I just guestimate. Otherwise, I think I'm good......oh yeah.....I hate to workout. But I'm gonna!

My goodness, I feel so fortunate to be able to even have the surgery at all. I was told in New Orleans that I was too old for it and I thought I would die a fat old lady someday.

We retired and moved home to Alabama. Shortly after doing that, my health started falling apart on me. I was rushing to the end of my life as my doctor said. He suggested the Lapband for me and when he did, I started crying I was so happy.

Now, I have a chance to live a long life, a healthier life and a skinnier life. NO WAY, am I going to goof it up now!

I'm not gambling and playing around with all of this journey.

I plan to win!

Well, think of it this way.

None of the rules that you guys have are rules here in Australia.

The clinic I attend has several surgeons all working under Prof. O'Brien who is one of the band's pioneers (with a team of others). Who would know more than him, right? And they've been doing the band a lot longer in Australia than they have in the US.

My doc laughs at the carbonation rule, says its ridiculous. That if it makes you feel bloated, avoid it, but otherwise, moderation in all things. They also dont recommend Protein first, a lower carb diet etc. They recommend a healthy well rounded diet that includes good carbs. Caffeine isnt banned. Nor is snacking, if you're a grazer, go with that plan, if not, stick to your meals. The half cup serve isnt the holy grail of banded existence, the plan is to eat what satisfies you and if you're still losing weight, then it doesnt matter if that's 2 cups, if you're not losing weight, time for a fill to reduce portion sizes a bit more.

Drinking with meals is not recommended, for the reason that it flushes through food. That's about the only "rule" we have in common.

So where do all these rules you guys have come from? Certainly not from the originators of the band.

Edited by Jachut

I am in the liquids stage - I eat M&M's. well - the plain small one - I let ab 4 or 5 just melt completely in my mouth. I'm sooo bad.

I think it counts as a liquid when you let them melt in your mouth. lol

Congratulations to you Lolly, on you great will power and determination. I wish you much success in maintaining it.

I don't think most people go into this, planning on cheating. And reading the posts, most of what people consider 'cheating' is permissable by a different surgeon.

As long as its only occassional, and is not causing regular PBing, in IMHO, I actually think 'occasional' cheating can actually be good. Otherwise, if someone finds the 'rules' too strict, it could result in throwing everything out. Common sense is the rule.