Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling with a band - Need suggestions

Hi...I am not banded yet. I am scheduled for September 8. On September 22 I have to start traveling again for my business. I am usually gone for 8 to 9 days at a time about once a month. I drive usually for 2 days each way and then do a convention/show for 4 days. This means being on the road for 8 hours a day when driving and then at the convention itself for lunch. I have a mini fridge to store things in during the day.

I am in hotels for usually 8 nights and eating out every night. I stay in hotels that usually have a Breakfast so a hard boiled egg or yogurt or oatmeal will be available. But does anyone have suggestions for lunch and then for dinners.

I think I will be on a soft diet for my September travels but then after that it should be normal (as normal goes). Please give me ideas of what I can either have available that I can eat or items that I can order in a restaurant.

Thank you for your help!

I do a lot of Protein bars and string cheese when I travel. They are quick, easy and fit in my purse for times when I can't get away for lunch.

Grilled chicken breast is good to order at a restaurant. Usually you can order it with steamed veggies. Put the leftovers in a to go box and you have supper ready when you get home.

You may want to consider supplementing with a Protein shake because it is hard to get enough Protein when you aren't doing your own cooking.

Small salads are good at restaurants, maybe a shrimp coctail, Soup while you are on the mushy stage, baked potatos are also good on mushy but not much protein. Baked fish with steamed veggies are also a good choice.

Hope this helps and good luck with your band.

I would caution you to be prepared to struggle to find food while traveling, I know I had a very hard time (no rental car).

I would suggest yogurts and scrambled eggs whenever you can find them, and also supplement with Protein shakes. That soon after surgery I would not eat any chicken breast or other "caution" foods. Cottage cheese is also good and filling. If there is a mexican restaurant or mexican food choices, you can often get refried Beans with cheese or something similar.

It can be done, but it will take some effort, best of luck!

Thank you both very much. I love string cheese and wouldn't have thought of that. They also have those individually packaged cheese squares that will work for me. And I love refried Beans with cheese. The friend that travels with me loves Mexican so now I won't disappoint her!

More ideas? Please share.

I would also suggest oatmeal and Soup as well. One trick I learned is that if there is a taco bell around I can make anything work.

I will order a burrito with lots of Protein (Beans, chicken, etc-wouldn't get chicken that close to surgery) and a little cheese & sour cream (very little as is high in fat). Then I just unwrap the burrito and take a fork and eat.

I would suggest traveling with either The Foo Fighters or U2

After you get your bearings--find your local Kroger or even most large full service gas stations will have already made or made to order sandwiches and salads. You can just get the meat with little or no bread.< /p>

Thanks. My first trip will be full liquid diet and that might be a challenge. Although it may be the easiest to do since slim fast and protien drinks will make up the bulk of it.

Go to GNC store and buy some Isopure drinks. They are high in Protein. Can you travel with a small one-serving blender (Hamilton Beach has one)? If you can, you could make your morning shake or night shake right in your room. The main thing you want to remember is to get in your protein and your Water each day. Good luck.

I haven't visited a GNC store yet but it sounds like something I must do before the surgery. They sound like experts for us to rely on!

Thanks.