Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Too Much Weight

My current BMI is approximately 34. Co-mobity's??? I'm not sure of. I'm sorry... what would those be??? I had a lot of health problems when I was heavier, such as a fatty liver, but that has resolved itself with weight loss.

co-morbidities are things like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... Your insurance policy should outline what they consider to be co-morbidities for this surgery. Like you, I have lost weight only to gain it back all of my life. I had surgery @ 200lbs & the comorbidity that "counted" was my high cholesterol. The doc included in his paperwork the fact that I have GERD, and mild stress incontinence as well. I would make sure the doctor is aware of your history of significant weight loss only to gain it back. Best of luck to you.

BCBS won't deny you and the surgeon is in it to make money as well... I am sure we all have lost weight and then regain it... Just think b/c you don't want to start the process all over again in a few years!

Nip this problem in the bud! Congrats on your weight loss... the Band is a tool to help you lose the weight and KEEP IT OFF

Band-it-Damn-it

umystifyme,

No offense to greytz but . . . psychotherapy may be a great tool but the band has proven itself to have much better results for keeping weight off. Most of us are life-long dieters with a lose and regain cycle. I have been on depression meds, etc to try and fight the cycle but I have been unsuccessful. Not to say that you can't "slay the dragon" with some therapy but for most of us, the cycle is only broken by the band. JMHO

co-morbidities are things like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... Your insurance policy should outline what they consider to be co-morbidities for this surgery. Like you, I have lost weight only to gain it back all of my life. I had surgery @ 200lbs & the comorbidity that "counted" was my high cholesterol. The doc included in his paperwork the fact that I have GERD, and mild stress incontinence as well. I would make sure the doctor is aware of your history of significant weight loss only to gain it back. Best of luck to you.

I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides, even on medication. I did have a fatty liver until last month. My family practitioner is well aware of my history of weight loss and weight gain. He's seen my struggle with weight for over 11 years and is behind me 100% on the surgery. Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate it! :w00t:

Amy

umystifyme,

No offense to greytz but . . . psychotherapy may be a great tool but the band has proven itself to have much better results for keeping weight off. Most of us are life-long dieters with a lose and regain cycle. I have been on depression meds, etc to try and fight the cycle but I have been unsuccessful. Not to say that you can't "slay the dragon" with some therapy but for most of us, the cycle is only broken by the band. JMHO

I totally agree with you. I have been in psychotherapy on and off for almost 17 years. I have also been on medication for depression and anxiety for almost 17 years. In 17 years I have proven that I am a life-long dieter with a lose and regain cycle. The medication and therapy has not helped with my weight loss obviously. I really do appreciate everyone's comments and opinions. I was looking for some other view points and I got them. And I am glad that I did. I realize now that I am making the right choice by going ahead with the surgery... keeping everything crossed that my insurance will approve me!! Thanks again!! :frown:

Hi umystifyme, I live in Kankakee, but I use to live in Beecher. I actually worked at Knuths there and am amazed how it has grown. Great little ( or not so little now) town to live.

Ok, to get back on track here, I also have BCBS PPO, but am not sure about your question. I do think however your insurance goes by what your starting weight and BMI was, but your Doctors nurse could best answer that. I would call them and ask, if for no other reason than to answer your questions. One way or another you can decide what path to take, but somehow I feel it will all work out ok. After all, all of us that post here could take off the weight, it was the keeping it off that has us seeking the various wls!!!!

Please let us know what happens!:frown:

How much did you loose? I am morbidly obese so MY insurance company was thrilled with the surgery but DID want to see the history, This is not the time to crash diet becasue youknow you will gain it back. I luckily had it done.

A friend of mine very large he carefully did not loose any weight during the approval time so his insurance company would not deny him. HE was very very large but medical issues was not a consideration since he had NONE. After two years he is looosing, consistant and all of laugh when we see him because if he had dieted before he would never have been approved.

Insurance is a crazy system. If the dr says that you lost to much weight...GO BACK>>LOOK ASHAMED AND TELL HIM YOU HAVE BEEN CHUCKINg UP YOUr food AND USED DIERETICS LIKE LOADS OF teAS Etc>>>CHEcK GOOGLE AND THEN HE (SHE) CAN REAPPLY TO THE INSURANCE CO< YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDEred MENTAL>>JUST A DESPERATE OVERWEIGHT INDIVIDUAL...just thought that and I think that will definitely work for you.

Hi umystifyme, I live in Kankakee, but I use to live in Beecher. I actually worked at Knuths there and am amazed how it has grown. Great little ( or not so little now) town to live.

Ok, to get back on track here, I also have BCBS PPO, but am not sure about your question. I do think however your insurance goes by what your starting weight and BMI was, but your Doctors nurse could best answer that. I would call them and ask, if for no other reason than to answer your questions. One way or another you can decide what path to take, but somehow I feel it will all work out ok. After all, all of us that post here could take off the weight, it was the keeping it off that has us seeking the various wls!!!!

Please let us know what happens!:wub:

Hi GraciesMom!!

Small world, eh??!! :blink:

My doctor did say that the insurance company goes by your starting weight and your starting BMI. HOWEVER, he did say that my BMI was under 35 right now and that at my current weight, I was not a candidate and that the insurance company COULD argue that if I lost this much weight in 6 months without the band then I don't need the surgery. My fear is that a lot of my co-morbidities went away as the pounds melted away. At the moment, I don't have any co-morbidities. Everything is under control with diet, exercise, and medication. But I did have them at the beginning of this program and during. I will have to call his office and talk to him on Monday and see if the insurance will hold this against me. I hope not. I'm really hoping and praying that all goes well and that I am approved. Please people, please.... please pray for me. I really want this "reinforcer" for life and I need my insurance to approve this. After talking to the doctor and his assistant, my documents will be sent in for approval. This is driving me crazy!!

I still like my idea...just say you were crazied and took pills...I am serious..this way..they would have to pay

I still like my idea...just say you were crazied and took pills...I am serious..this way..they would have to pay

Or lock me in a mental institution....

I have to be careful... I was diagnosed with chronic depression in December 1992. I am on psych meds and I can't lie about taking additional medication.

How much did you loose? I am morbidly obese so MY insurance company was thrilled with the surgery but DID want to see the history, This is not the time to crash diet becasue youknow you will gain it back. I luckily had it done.

A friend of mine very large he carefully did not loose any weight during the approval time so his insurance company would not deny him. HE was very very large but medical issues was not a consideration since he had NONE. After two years he is looosing, consistant and all of laugh when we see him because if he had dieted before he would never have been approved.

Insurance is a crazy system. If the dr says that you lost to much weight...GO BACK>>LOOK ASHAMED AND TELL HIM YOU HAVE BEEN CHUCKINg UP YOUr food AND USED DIERETICS LIKE LOADS OF teAS Etc>>>CHEcK GOOGLE AND THEN HE (SHE) CAN REAPPLY TO THE INSURANCE CO< YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDEred MENTAL>>JUST A DESPERATE OVERWEIGHT INDIVIDUAL...just thought that and I think that will definitely work for you.

Umystifyme, I would highly recommend that you talk to your surgeon, (and gp, if necessary) about proving your history before you try anything else.

To be honest Jollygreen, i feel this is a very negative recommendation and could end up having more ramifications for Umystifyme than needed. What if her surgeon doesn't just take it that she is desperate to have the band? Saying that you have taken diuretics and been throwing up is a lot more serious than purposely not losing weight to get the band. What if they think she isn't in the right mental state to have the band?

Umystifyme, I would highly recommend that you talk to your surgeon, (and gp, if necessary) about proving your history before you try anything else.

To be honest Jollygreen, i feel this is a very negative recommendation and could end up having more ramifications for Umystifyme than needed. What if her surgeon doesn't just take it that she is desperate to have the band? Saying that you have taken diuretics and been throwing up is a lot more serious than purposely not losing weight to get the band. What if they think she isn't in the right mental state to have the band?

Thank you kslessar!! I'm doing this the honest way...

Thank you kslessar!! I'm doing this the honest way...

No worries! I wish you luck with your future appointments and I think if you can prove your history, you will be fine.

Talk through your concerns with your surgeon and tell him how it's making you feel about the possibility of not being able to get the band. I sympathise with you as I thought I may not be able to get the band due to not having any co-morbidities. Due to anxiety issues, I am also on anti-depressants and I can only imagine the worry you are feeling now. I think you have done a great job losing the weight that you have. I am sure there are many people that have done the same as you and ended up being banded. Try not to stress too much :wub:

I am from NY and we think differently. I do apoligize but pray that you get the surgery.