Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Too Much Weight

Very normal!! Walking helps. Even indoors if you are housebound with snow. Use Gas-X, if you have it; a lot of us used that.

The gurgling is very normal. Just slow down you drinking, a bit.

Very normal!! Walking helps. Even indoors if you are housebound with snow. Use Gas-X, if you have it; a lot of us used that.

The gurgling is very normal. Just slow down you drinking, a bit.

Thanks Sue! I'll try walking more. That's probably the problem. If that doesn't help then I'll try some Gas-X. Thanks again! Have a great night! :smile:

I was up all night with gas and diarrhea. :smile: I had stopped all pain meds on Friday night. I am now experiencing pain around my abdominal area and my incisions. My surgeon said I could be having the gas/diarrhea due to the antibiotics that were given to me in the OR. He doesn't want me to take any Pepto or anything just yet. I'm very miserable right now and am in pain. I'm also concerned b/c I have to return to work on Wednesday. Did anyone else have diarrhea after the surgery? I've been experiencing it off and on since surgery. It usually happens in the evenings after I eat. Now I'm beginning to regret having this done. All I feel like doing right now is crying. I'm miserable. My stomach hurts with gas pains. My incisions burn and sting. I keep burping. I feel all this gas rolling around on my stomach. Is this how my life is going to be like? Did I make a HUGE mistake?? My incisions hurt soo much, I can barely stand, sit or walk. It's like I'm back to day 1. Any advice?? Thanks!

I was up all night with gas and diarrhea. :smile: I had stopped all pain meds on Friday night. I am now experiencing pain around my abdominal area and my incisions. My surgeon said I could be having the gas/diarrhea due to the antibiotics that were given to me in the OR. He doesn't want me to take any Pepto or anything just yet. I'm very miserable right now and am in pain. Did anyone else have diarrhea after the surgery? I've been experiencing it off and on since surgery. It usually happens in the evenings after I eat

The diarhea after eating is called "dumping" - too much at one time. i do not know what you are eating nor how much; but, ease back. Actually you should only be consuming thin liquids right now, and small amounts of that ( measure in tablespoons). If you are off the prescriotion pain meds, are you allowed to take over the counter pain meds like tylenol? If you are allowed nothing else, do consider the prescription pain meds. You will at least get some rest. Gas is normal but degree can vary. It can be a problem if you are eating too much; you really have to walk. Gas-X really helps, it is not like pepto bismol and is usually recommended. Everyone has some discomfort. You need to rest which will help. Do talk to your doctor again.

I'm sorry Amy... but I know how you feel. I was just banded Tuesday. The gas pains in my upper back and left front of my chest have been HORRIBLE. I ran out of pain meds and was trying to take Ibuprofen, then I think I drank too much liquid and am really hoping I didn't hurt myself. I can't burp or pass gas very much. The last time I burped was yesterday and I really feel like I have to. I move around, fold laundry, touch my toes... even just walk and it doesn't come out? I am miserable, crying and in pain. I didn't sleep at all. I'm so tired. I can't wait for this to be over.

Hope you are feeling better today.

I was up all night with gas and diarrhea. :smile: I had stopped all pain meds on Friday night. I am now experiencing pain around my abdominal area and my incisions. My surgeon said I could be having the gas/diarrhea due to the antibiotics that were given to me in the OR. He doesn't want me to take any Pepto or anything just yet. I'm very miserable right now and am in pain. Did anyone else have diarrhea after the surgery? I've been experiencing it off and on since surgery. It usually happens in the evenings after I eat

The diarhea after eating is called "dumping" - too much at one time. i do not know what you are eating nor how much; but, ease back. Actually you should only be consuming thin liquids right now, and small amounts of that ( measure in tablespoons). If you are off the prescriotion pain meds, are you allowed to take over the counter pain meds like tylenol? If you are allowed nothing else, do consider the prescription pain meds. You will at least get some rest. Gas is normal but degree can vary. It can be a problem if you are eating too much; you really have to walk. Gas-X really helps, it is not like pepto bismol and is usually recommended. Everyone has some discomfort. You need to rest which will help. Do talk to your doctor again.

Sue,

I'm eating Dannon Light 'n Fit Carb Control Yogurt, sugar-free Fudgecicles, and creamy Soups. No one told me how much to eat. Maybe I am eating too much, as it happens only in the evenings after I eat dinner.

How much am I supposed to be eating? Please someone help me!! I'm going insane here!

For example, I eat 2-3 fudgecicles a day, 1 yogurt a day, and probably 3/4 of a can of Soup a day. I guess that is a lot. I didn't really think about it. My doctor did talk to me briefly but did not let me discuss any of these concerns nor did he bring them up.

The diarrhea started Thursday night (1 day post-op) and I was relieved that I wasn't constipated. But thought it would pass. It continued and I was too embarrassed to discuss it on the boards. I cut back on my drinking and my eating today and have been fine so far, except for gas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I did break down and took some of my prescription pain medication a little while ago. Hopefully that will ease the pain and help me get some rest.

Thanks Sue! Any other advice is welcomed!

I'm sorry Amy... but I know how you feel. I was just banded Tuesday. The gas pains in my upper back and left front of my chest have been HORRIBLE. I ran out of pain meds and was trying to take Ibuprofen, then I think I drank too much liquid and am really hoping I didn't hurt myself. I can't burp or pass gas very much. The last time I burped was yesterday and I really feel like I have to. I move around, fold laundry, touch my toes... even just walk and it doesn't come out? I am miserable, crying and in pain. I didn't sleep at all. I'm so tired. I can't wait for this to be over.

Hope you are feeling better today.

The gas pain is horrible isn't, it? I cut back on my drinking and that has seemed to help. I'm also cutting back on my eating. I wish my doctor would have been clearer on how much we could and could not eat. That would probably prevented a lot of my current distress. Oh well.. live and learn. I'm soo glad that I have this board or I would be in bed crying.

WOW! I can't believe you are up folding laundry! I am barely moving room to room. That's awesome. Good for you! I know you are in a lot of pain, just keep moving. After this pain medication wears off, I'm going to try to do some laundry myself. Good idea... thanks!

BTW~ What are you eating and how much are you eating?

Thanks,

Amy

And to add to all of this, my mother has now decided that this is the perfect time to bake brownies!! :smile:

OK....here is your problem...first, I could not answer days before..something wrong with my password..fixed it (for now)

When you are a new lapbander you drink small quantities

then you drink you Water with skim milk slowly throughout the day

as for the dumping.. if you are eating Campbells Creme of Mushroom..yes you will dump...to fatty for now BUT I agree with your doctor..as I always even BEFORE the Lapbanded

FOR the life of me....never ever ever stop the meds till you are at least sure there are no pain.... I got off it with adding a hour to the time between till no pain...then I quit...god gave us pain meds and when needed use it...I am chicken sh@@ and need my meds ONLY with surgeries.

As for the cramps in your shoulder...for some reason, I did not have it but friends that did told me it was extremely painful...it is the air stuck there..remember you had air pumped in you...how about tapping it, like you do with a baby after a bottle...I also think that a hot heating pad or hot shower would work...BUT walking is the key to removing gas and whatever...that is why I love my DR PUCCI here in NY/NJ he demands that you take your meds to prevent pain..becasue as the brothers say...there are three of them..YOU HAVE TO MOVE and the only way is to take the drugs otherwise you will sulk in bed

that is the truth

I do hope that you are feeling better and do not think of work..for me...I woke up a few days later and the speed of my walk...could not believe the change

Feel well :0)

I am feeling much better tonight. How are you doin, Amy? Hope you are getting around a little better. I got my pain meds filled... Yay!

Anyway... just to be clear... I have heard that some ppl don't have the gas pain as badly. I have NO pain where I had surgery.. hehe. My stomach is wonderful. I am going to try drinking less. My big fear is dehydration.

Before and after my banding I met with a dietician who was very clear on what and how much to eat according to their diet plan:

*Drink 64 oz of liquid (water, tea, etc.) per day (Only FLAT pop)

*First 3 days: Drink 1 oz liquid every 15 minutes, only liquids the consistency of Water

*Next 3 weeks: 1 oz liquid every 15 mins, and meals 3x daily- For a meal you can have 4 oz of POURABLE food... anything that pours off a spoon. (Thinned down pudding, thinned down mashed potatoes, Soup, etc) Again, eat 1 oz per 15 minutes, taking baby bites. Take a bite, wait 3 minutes, then enjoy another bite. This trains you to eat sloooowly (It makes me nuts, lol)

*After that they are starting me on a 'normal' diet... but my portion sizes will never change.

Right now... I just can't wait to get the gas gone!! Still hurting but not nearly as bad as last night. I was ready to throw in the rope... even tho THAT'S too late, LOL. I too had the same thoughts during that time: What was I thinking?! But I've heard it only gets better. Here's to hoping!:smile:

**Just a note: An ounce is about the size of the cup that comes on top of a Nyquil bottle. Maybe a little smaller.

Edited by nebraskahickchi

[

I did break down and took some of my prescription pain medication a little while ago. Hopefully that will ease the pain and help me get some rest.

Amy, You must talk to your doctor. He should have given you a list of foods, menus, and consistencies to eat. Do NOT try to eat any solids, even applesauce, at this point. Sometimes yogurt is not allowed immediately after surgery(i had only Clear Liquids for the 1st 2 days, and wasn't allowed yogurt (no fruit, sugar, or lumps) until day 3, post op). Strained Soups, sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles may be tolerable. i could also have thinned cream of wheat, and thinned mashed potatoes ( soupy). If you have any liquid Protein Drinks, i.e. slimfast high Protein, or EAS, do take those, slowly. My doctor said no more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the the meal, 3 meals/day, and something to drink ( about 1 cup) almost every hour in between. The goal I had was for 6-8 cups of Fluid (including the 3 c. of protein drink) and 70 grams of protein a day. You have a couple of things going on, any of which can upset your stomach. Your stomach was inflated to help with banding. Your stomach has had a major shock. You may be consuming too much at one time or moving too quickly to more solid food consistencies( you should be at the all liquid, no lumps stage). If your stomach is easily upset, or does not tolerate some foods, this may be part of the problem, too. i would urge you to back off, try clear broth or Protein Drink, and call your doctor. If you are drinking any coffee or tea, caffeinated or not- stop. I couldn't tolerate cocoa, either, for a while. These can upset your stomach. Hope you get some rest tonite. It will get better. Did the doctor give you any information about post op eating, protein, caffeine? it is a new way of eating and usually nutrition education is a must for candidates.

[

Amy, You must talk to your doctor. He should have given you a list of foods, menus, and consistencies to eat. Do NOT try to eat any solids, even applesauce, at this point. Sometimes yogurt is not allowed immediately after surgery(i had only clear liquids for the 1st 2 days, and wasn't allowed yogurt (no fruit, sugar, or lumps) until day 3, post op). Strained Soups, sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles may be tolerable. i could also have thinned cream of wheat, and thinned mashed potatoes ( soupy). If you have any Liquid Protein drinks, i.e. slimfast high Protein, or EAS, do take those, slowly. My doctor said no more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the the meal, 3 meals/day, and something to drink ( about 1 cup) almost every hour in between. The goal I had was for 6-8 cups of Fluid (including the 3 c. of protein drink) and 70 grams of protein a day. You have a couple of things going on, any of which can upset your stomach. Your stomach was inflated to help with banding. Your stomach has had a major shock. You may be consuming too much at one time or moving too quickly to more solid food consistencies( you should be at the all liquid, no lumps stage). If your stomach is easily upset, or does not tolerate some foods, this may be part of the problem, too. i would urge you to back off, try clear broth or protein drink, and call your doctor. If you are drinking any coffee or tea, caffeinated or not- stop. I couldn't tolerate cocoa, either, for a while. These can upset your stomach. Hope you get some rest tonite. It will get better. Did the doctor give you any information about post op eating, protein, caffeine? it is a new way of eating and usually nutrition education is a must for candidates.

Sue,

I'm going to talk to my doctor in the morning. He put me on a liquid diet for 7 days, which ends on Tuesday. After Tuesday, I advance to a regular diet. However, I'm not allowed to drink soda or any carbonated beverages. Also, I'm not allowed to drink anything with caffeinated.

His diet guidelines for week 1 are:

• Protein Shakes
  • Milk and sugar-free yogurt
  • Strained cream soups
  • Sugar-free pudding
  • Sugar-free fudgecicles
  • Sugar-free applesauce
  • Low fat cottage cheese
  • Blended canned or soft fruits and vegetables
  • Cream of wheat/rice or Farina
  • Blended soups and stews

Since I am doubtful about a lot of the above, I decided to stick with just the yogurt, fudgecicles, Protein Shakes, and soups. I did go to educational classes with a nutritionist who went over the above list. She stressed that we were not allowed to have Jello or oatmeal. I did ask questions but did not ask HOW much we could eat at one sitting. She gave me a binder filled with information and there is nothing regarding how much should be consumed at each meal.

This is my fault. I should have asked more questions. It just didn't occur to me. Tomorrow I will speak to my surgeon and the nutritionist. I'm very sad right now. I hope they can help me.

Thank you!

I am feeling much better tonight. How are you doin, Amy? Hope you are getting around a little better. I got my pain meds filled... Yay!

Anyway... just to be clear... I have heard that some ppl don't have the gas pain as badly. I have NO pain where I had surgery.. hehe. My stomach is wonderful. I am going to try drinking less. My big fear is dehydration.

Before and after my banding I met with a dietician who was very clear on what and how much to eat according to their diet plan:

*Drink 64 oz of liquid (water, tea, etc.) per day (Only FLAT pop)

*First 3 days: Drink 1 oz liquid every 15 minutes, only liquids the consistency of Water

*Next 3 weeks: 1 oz liquid every 15 mins, and meals 3x daily- For a meal you can have 4 oz of POURABLE food... anything that pours off a spoon. (Thinned down pudding, thinned down mashed potatoes, Soup, etc) Again, eat 1 oz per 15 minutes, taking baby bites. Take a bite, wait 3 minutes, then enjoy another bite. This trains you to eat sloooowly (It makes me nuts, lol)

*After that they are starting me on a 'normal' diet... but my portion sizes will never change.

Right now... I just can't wait to get the gas gone!! Still hurting but not nearly as bad as last night. I was ready to throw in the rope... even tho THAT'S too late, LOL. I too had the same thoughts during that time: What was I thinking?! But I've heard it only gets better. Here's to hoping!:thumbup:

**Just a note: An ounce is about the size of the cup that comes on top of a Nyquil bottle. Maybe a little smaller.

I'm happy to hear that you are doing better!! I still have a little bit of gas and diarrhea but definitely not as bad as it was. I'm back on pain meds but am feeling a bit down. It just seems like my doctor's "liquid" diet was not conventional. I'll be contacting my doctor, the program coordinator, and my nutritionist in the morning. I'm positive that they'll be able to help.

Thanks for all the helpful info!! I appreciate it!! :thumbup:

I hope you are feeling better and hope that the doctor can help you :thumbup:

I hope you are feeling better and hope that the doctor can help you :biggrin:

I'm feeling much better, thank you!! I stopped my Protein Shakes yesterday along with yogurt and all milk products. I saw my pcp today, spoke with my surgeon and saw my nutritionist. I am not having dumping syndrome as that only occurs in patients who have had gastric bypass. I did not overeat, b/c I would've have been vomitting. The diarrhea is from the antibiotics administered in the OR along with dairy products I have been ingesting since surgery. According to my doctors and nutritionist, I'm doing well. I just have to cut out all dairy products from my diet and let the antibiotics run their course. I am feeling soo much better today and of course I feel relieved after seeing and speaking to my doctors. Whew! What a relief!

Thanks eveyone for your advice, support, and encouragement! I truly appreciate it!! :smile: Can't believe I'm 5 days post-op!!