Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a lap band doctor in the house?

i know that there was a lap band doctor who posted to a recent thread. sorry, but i can't find the name/thread.

dr., do you think that lap bands will ever be approved as a preventative weight-loss tool for people who are not currently obese or overweight, but have a history of it?

thanks.

I'm not a doctor, but I have had the same thought myself. I think that if someone has a history of weight struggle, but they aren't necessarily overweight (or not by much) the band will eventually be approved for this. I think there will still be conditions, such as how much you have struggled with your weight, documentation by the doctor of X amount of time, etc, etc. Of course, I guess the 2nd question to match this one is whether you could EVER get an insurance company to pay for it as a preventative measure.

:D

That's so funny! I was just thinking about the same thing this week. I guess the issue is somehow proving that someone who has a history of struggling with their weight is at a greater risk of health problems from it than the risk of death or complications due to the band. That'd take awhile to prove I think.

i know that there was a lap band doctor who posted to a recent thread. sorry, but i can't find the name/thread.

dr., do you think that lap bands will ever be approved as a preventative weight-loss tool for people who are not currently obese or overweight, but have a history of it?

thanks.

That's a radical thought and quite thought provoking. Can you expand on your question please. Do you mean a person who has a history of obesity, and has lost the weight?

thanks everyone for your interest!

yes, dr. hekier, that's it.

my personal history of obesity is a 60ish pound weight loss one time and four 20 - 30ish pound losses. one of those was from pregnancy and another from medicinal complications.

my lifestyle has changed such that it does not "allow" for that much weight gain. i do love to exercise and i eat healthfully most of the time.

but i can see dealing with a 10 - 15 pound weight gain/loss at any given time. it's just too darn easy to move too little and eat way too much. and it doesn't take much of that to gain 10 pounds!!

an aside: i began wearing a pedometer about a month ago, and i was shocked at how few steps i took on a day that i didn't exercise. i realized then that is why my "last 8 pounds" weight loss has been so slow. and that i must do some sort of activity everyday--doesn't have to be intense, just long--to make up for the fact that my job is so sedentary.

so i'd be interested in having a lap band to help with those up/downs. it quite possibly would remain unfilled most of the time. but i'd get a fill when i needed to lose 5 - 8 pounds.

so, whaddya think?

There already is a preventative option in my mind. It is called "out of country" and "self pay". I had 65 lbs to lose to goal. I was not a large BMI. Nor did I have a very large appearance due to proportioning out well. I have the band and am doing GREAT!

I am not a doc, but I have done extensive research on the band. Most US doctors and all the various insurances I have seen follow the manufacturer's guidelines - which stipulate 100 pounds, a BMI 40, *or* serious co-morbiditities. However, all that said.

Due to the dangers of the band (mortality rate IS 1 in 2000) it is unlikely that they will loosen up the guidelines any time soon (JMHO), goodness knows there is plenty of market space for the band with the current guidelines. It does appear that you can go to one of the Mexican docs as a self-pay and have it done... If you consider that route just make sure you research the doctor well and make sure it isn't some fly by night chop shop.

Frankly, other than the dangers there really isn't any reason that "lightweights" shouldn't have the band. It just isn't an opinion that is likely to make it into the general population anytime soon... JMHO.

I am getting the band on oct 6th and my BMI is 38, My insurance is covering almost all of it and I was approved because of my reflux and history of diabetes in my family. I don't have diabetes and this is prevention. I feel fortunate to get it, alot of people have told me that I don't look like I would need it or get approved. But I am trying to prevent future sickness.

Wendyr,

Same here with me. My BMI is 38 and like you I have a family history of our women becoming obese, getting diabetes, and being killed/mamed by strokes. Other than backpain, I appear to be quite healthy. I know by watching my mom and g-ma what is in store for me so that is why I pursued the band. I think that when a person is beginning to show that he/she is in danger of proven family diseases they should be able to get help. I too feel very fortunate that my insurance approved me and is paying for most of the surgery. I am also lucky to have a primary dr. who backs my decisions.

D

Here in Australia we can go on a public waiting list and not pay one cent

Dr. Hekier

I am getting banded on October 6th This Thursday and I was wandering if you knew Dr. Van Waganer, I heard he was well known?

That's a radical thought and quite thought provoking. Can you expand on your question please. Do you mean a person who has a history of obesity, and has lost the weight?

I love the thought of Doctors reading the posts on here. That way they can see the patients sides of things. Good, Bad, or Ugly. Will probably make them better Doctors in the long run. Wonder how many read the comments on obesityhelp.com. Some of those comments are harsh.

I also like the little disclaimer DrHekier has on his post, wonder if we should do the same. Wonder if Dr's can sue us for slander????

I love the thought of Doctors reading the posts on here. That way they can see the patients sides of things. Good, Bad, or Ugly. Will probably make them better Doctors in the long run. Wonder how many read the comments on obesityhelp.com. Some of those comments are harsh.

I also like the little disclaimer DrHekier has on his post, wonder if we should do the same. Wonder if Dr's can sue us for slander????

I'm not on Obesityhelp.com; they wanted something on the order of $1000 for a doctor to be included.

(Don't get any ideas LBT moderators! :(:) )

I figure on this board I can learn a few things from the many people that post here, as well as clear up misconceptions or misunderstandings.