Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 full days post op!!!

I watched a really good youtube vlog the other day where she was saying that all she wanted after a few weeks was something with TEXTURE.

I am due to go in on Monday and I am not afraid (yet) of pain or being hungry....I am panicky about not being able to "eat" my feelings. Guess it's good that I decided to stick with the therapist who did my consult months ago!

So I anticipate that I'll be able to buck up and just do the liquids....but how the hell am I gonna come home and relax and reward myself for a hard days work without EATING massive portions of food??! Ya know?

Yeah, I DO know. I'm really glad that you are staying with your therapist. I was going to do the same and just recently hooked up with one after many months out. I just thought the added support would be good as I battle a lot of hurdles and have people around me who aren't as supportive as they could be. Total foodies. :)

And texture, yeah, true. I had two weeks liquids prior, two weeks liquids after, then two weeks mushies before I could actually chew anything. To be honest, I suffered NO real hunger after surgery. It may have been about a week before I felt a bit. So you might be lucky.

Good luck! I take it your surgery is coming up soon.

I just kept it in the back of my mind that this (liquids, mushies, discomfort) was temporary, but my new lifestyle was going to be forever. I wanted it bad enough that my personal promise to myself was that I was NOT going to complain about any of it. And if you ask my husband, he can attest to that. It seemed to help me handle it all.

Thanks Beth.

Yea, surgery is on Monday. Hey..I can suffer through a few weeks of possible hunger...some short term pain. It's a hell of a lot simpler than the constant pain of being overweight! Life is ying and yang.....everything's a trade off.

OK....so this is why I have never normally posted on a message board. Thought I was safe here but apparently not. I sincerely hope that lotusflower doesn't check back on the boards and read the above sarcastic remark. People, please remember that there is always a NICE way to get your point across. And if you can't do that then perhaps you should ZIP IT! Course words and smart-alecky remarks do not help people that are already struggling! Are Y-O-U serious???

I agree. I DON'T think Beth should have responded this way.

What she SHOULD have done was to crawl through the screen, over the Internet, and up into the faces of some of these nitwits and smacked them right in the head.

I see stuff like this and I wonder why in the hell do some people even BOTHER to have a Band put in.

What is WITH some of these people???

I know that there are some Doctors that don't provide a very comprehensive pre-surgical educational program, but I CANNOT believe that ANYONE would try and do some of this stuff.

AND....the people who pat them on the head, give them a lollipop and "aww, it's ok this time, sugar"....THOSE people are equally to blame.

There is one VERY LARGE issue here that some people seem to miss a lot of the time:

The INSURANCE companies PAY for a LOT (Most) of the WL surgeries. And guess what: The DECLINE rate on weight loss surgeries is beginning to rise. That is happening for a number of reasons, but ONE of the reasons is that the success rate for WLS is dropping. The overall success has never been particularly high for the Band, but it’s dropping somewhat now, and the complication rate is RISING. And for a significant portion of these cases, it’s because the patient does NOT FOLLOW THE PRESCRIBED PROTOCOL. (Like the knucklehead that posted here a couple weeks ago complaining that she couldn’t swallow a piece of chicken a few days after surgery. The gene pool doesn’t need THAT crap.)

So keep in mind that if YOU fail with the Lap band, it’s gonna be THAT MUCH HARDER for some one down the road who needs one to GET one paid for by their insurance. The tide seems to be turning a bit, and the insurance companies are beginning to think twice about funding a process that is failing with greater frequency. So DON’T make it fail for YOU. Your only hurting yourself, and someone DOWN THE ROAD.

And far as Beth’s attitude….grow up, people.

Beth is a smart lady who tells it like it IS, and NOT how you would LIKE it to be. You should feel VERY LUCKY that you have people here on this board like Beth and Restless Monkey that will take the time to educate you on what you should be doing to make this WORK for you. Don’t waste their time. They could be out getting drunk…or in a hot tub….or watching construction workers.. , but they chose to spend their time here, with you.

Understand that for some of us, this process of WLS has NOT been a walk in the park. It’s serious business, and when someone plays around with it like it’s a game, I get a little pissed.

Ok, I’ve vented. And I know that lotus has come back and fessed up and has been adequately humbled. But keep in mind that you are NOT doing her or anyone else any good by telling her that it’s “ok….don’t do it again”.

Again….this is serious stuff. If you want IT to work, then you have to DO the work.

HH

Thanks Beth.

Yea, surgery is on Monday. Hey..I can suffer through a few weeks of possible hunger...some short term pain. It's a hell of a lot simpler than the constant pain of being overweight! Life is ying and yang.....everything's a trade off.

That was my thought exactly.

You'll do great! :)

HH.....aren't you the one who suddenly discovered that your sporting quite the package? Shouldn't you be in a better mood?:biggrin:

Sorry, HH, but I've been LMAO at this one! VERY GOOD! :biggrin:

As for the drinking... and hot tubbing... and construction workers, how many hours a day do you think I play Dear Abby anyway? :)

HH - just wait a cotton pickin minute - I am over you and your Beth love fest. Just who were you referring to in regards to being drunk and oogling construction workers.

because if I have to give that up in order to grow up - screw it I'll stay a kid forever.

You hurt my feelings!

Now Monkey, don't be mean. :thumbup:

But I have to wonder: With as often as I read this type of thing (cheating), are the patients that uninformed OR is it simply doing what one wants? OR are the surgeons not telling their patients what's going on? Very alarming how many don't seem to know (or care) what they should NOT be doing.

It does explain the rising slip stats.

BethfromVA, I hear you and the core of your advice is sound but I just wish you went about delivering your message in a more constructive way. Insults and accusations never get the job done and having had a weight problem all your life, which is why You got the band I hope you remeber that all those times you wer lectured and screamed at about your weight it didnt help you !!!

yes I understand that you're just trying to shock some sense into what potential harm she can cause and I hope that Patty realizes that she shouldnt do that, but we have created a very caring bonded community here and while we would more than LOVE to have the expertise and experience that you bring, please...please remember that words can hurt very much and that what you respond to sometimes might not work for everyone and I can tell you that in our community here it wont work and hope you can respect that just like in the respectful manner that I am communicating to you.

Sometimes a little tough love is in order. One can pat the head of a noob and tell them anything they want to do is just peachy or they can give them a dose of reality.

We may not like hearing what we have done is wrong, but it's a necessary step in getting through the weight loss journey.

What Beth wrote is correct, it is her choice in delivery methods. You pick your delivery method and let others pick theirs. Fair?

Patty-

OMG, I feel your pain!! Making my kids lunch and dinner was never so tortuous, and a chicken nugget never looked so golden in my life. My post-op is stage 1 Clear Liquids, stage 2 liguids, stage 3 pureeds, stage 4 mushies and then finally real bood on stage 5, and no red meat till 8 weeks post op (each stage is one week). . .

Dude, I say go for the garlic:)LOL. . .Not sick, totally funny though!

I have been really struggling with wanting to eat more than what stage I am on. . .I have goofed a few times, but went right back to my docs orders knowing that is what I need to do for my health and safety and success really:). Remember, every day is a battle that we can win!

All the bickering on this site is kinda weird, I think we can all express our thoughts, ideas, opinions, and experiences in a respectable and kind way. . .that way we can help each other as much as we can through support and learning from one another. I have to be honest, I am learning so much from everyone. . .hopefully this can stay a board that supports each of us on this journey. .

Patty-back to you--good luck. . .if you have any real concerns, call your doctor, they know best (not us--that is why we are here) And no matter what, we on this board should be there to help you get through each challenge ...

Darce:smile::thumbup::smile:

Patty-

All the bickering on this site is kinda weird, I think we can all express our thoughts, ideas, opinions, and experiences in a respectable and kind way. . .that way we can help each other as much as we can through support and learning from one another. I have to be honest, I am learning so much from everyone. . .hopefully this can stay a board that supports each of us on this journey. .

And no matter what, we on this board should be there to help you get through each challenge ...

Darce:smile::thumbup::smile:

My thoughts EXACTLY Darce- it just surprise me how people who are screaming in for the first time -felt so GD entitled to berade the crap out of all of us who have been here supporting eachother since the beginning ! i am not disputing the vadility of their message and I think that there experience is a GOLDEN Opportunity to teach us--but there is a right way and the wrong way that is just gonna make most people revert to our teen years and let it go in one ear and out the other and that would be a DAMN shame, because I know what they are saying and trying to teach us is priceless !!!!

Beth- thanks for hearing my message and I look forward to your experience and post that will guide us that are just learning and making mistakes because we just dont know better right now !!

For others deciding to CHIME in now, I hope you remeber what the uncertainty and the emotions that you were going throug at the begining and have some thought before you jump in !!

With that said this is my last post on this thread since it is becoming a useless discussion and not helpful to those that really need the support !!!

My thoughts EXACTLY Darce- it just surprise me how people who are screaming in for the first time -felt so GD entitled to berade the crap out of all of us who have been here supporting eachother since the beginning ! i am not disputing the vadility of their message and I think that there experience is a GOLDEN Opportunity to teach us--but there is a right way and the wrong way that is just gonna make most people revert to our teen years and let it go in one ear and out the other and that would be a DAMN shame, because I know what they are saying and trying to teach us is priceless !!!!

What? I know I've been around here for over a year, Beth that long too. How you choose to react to any given situation is in each individual's control. No one "makes" a person revert to his/her teen years. I know we all should get along and there's a nice way and a mean way to say things but honestly that is just BS. If you don't like it, don't read it. You're a grown up. Act like one. And it's berate not berade. Sorry to be petty but the person screaming on here the most seems to be you. We all try to "discuss the idea" and not the person. Facts are if you cheat post op it can hurt you. Sugar coating things isn't on most of our diet plans.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. We all have that right, fortunately! There are posters I avoid; but I don't attack them either. I find your behavior as bad, or worse, than hers actually.

HH.....aren't you the one who suddenly discovered that your sporting quite the package? Shouldn't you be in a better mood?:)

Well, actually, I'm just huffing and puffing to get my testosterone all jacked up so I can actually USE this wonderful package.....:thumbup:

HH

Edited by Headhunter

What? I know I've been around here for over a year, Beth that long too. How you choose to react to any given situation is in each individual's control. No one "makes" a person revert to his/her teen years. I know we all should get along and there's a nice way and a mean way to say things but honestly that is just BS. If you don't like it, don't read it. You're a grown up. Act like one. And it's berate not berade. Sorry to be petty but the person screaming on here the most seems to be you. We all try to "discuss the idea" and not the person. Facts are if you cheat post op it can hurt you. Sugar coating things isn't on most of our diet plans.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. We all have that right, fortunately! There are posters I avoid; but I don't attack them either. I find your behavior as bad, or worse, than hers actually.

:) Oh My God.

The Monkey has been unleashed.

But In a good way.

I see it kind of like Jesus chasing the Money Changers from the Temple.....

Go get 'em, Monkey.....:thumbup:

HH

:wub: Oh My God.

The Monkey has been unleashed.

Go get 'em, Monkey.....:thumbup:

HH

I have poo and I'm not afraid to fling it. :)