Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you aren't hungry, should you skip a meal?

I just had a fill yesterday and this morning I had some quiche for Breakfast around 7:45 and it's 1:10 and I'm still stuffed. Is it okay to skip a meal?

Doctors seem to vary somewhat, some want you to eat on a schedule and others say eat when hungry. Maybe check with your surgeon's nurse?

My doctor says eat only when hungry. I wouldn't skip a meal (too few calories isn't good either) but in my case it would be delaying it until my body is asking for it. It may just take a few days for your body to adjust to the fill.

Thanks, Bambam. I'm hoping that this is just an adjustment period. The fill I got yesterday was very minimal, .5cc but I think I was close before that. My meals were keeping me mostly full 3-4 hours. Maybe in a little while I'll get a little hungry since I've seen people say a fill keeps them full for 6 hours. If this repeats tomorrow, I'll take your advise and call the nurse.

Thanks again for the input!

Glad I could help Mac. These bands can be so fickle. I am up at 4:30 each morning but don't have breakfast until my stomach growls, usually 6:30 or so (per doc's order). Then by 9:30 it is growling again no matter how much Protein I have at breakfast - I try to put it off for an hour and usually have lunch between 10:30 and 11. Luckily my employer is flexible with my lunch breaks. Then I can go until 5-6 p.m. before dinner. I don't get it! I talked with my doctor's office and they said my body may just need lunch that early, as long as I can go that long between lunch and dinner they said not to worry about it. It's a learning curve!!

Good luck with your recent fill!

It's a learning curve!!

Good luck with your recent fill!

You've got that right. Everything is so new and each person is just a little different. It helps to be able to talk to fellow bandsters though.

And thanks a lot. You're doing so great. I wish you lots of luck also!

Does anyone get the hiccups often?? I get them all the time..they will be maybe 3 to 6 straight in a row and then stop..what is casing this..please help..

Sometimes I'll get the hiccups if I take too large of a bite of food. I've been making sure to chew really well these days.

I've also heard that eating too fast can cause hiccups

I'm not sure what I believe in this.

On the one hand, it seems senseless, not to mention a bad eating habit - to eat when you're not hungry and really dont want to, just becuase the clock says to.

On the other, everyone says you kill your metabolism by not eating small, regular meals.

But I know one thing - the naturally thin people I know DO go long periods during the day without eating.

I guess overall I think if you're not hungry, dont eat. I really dont want breakfast a lot of days.

Thanks Jacqui,

For the feedback. I agree it seems self-defeating to eat when you're not hungry but then again you need to have enough Protein to stay healthy and calories to lose weight. I guess I'll just have to try and figure out what my band and body are trying to tell me. I ended up eating a very small lunch about 2:30 in the afternoon. I'll eat a small dinner by 7 or so even if the tummy says its not hungry to gauge how my body reacts. The lunch actually felt good but I wasn't interested in eating more than a few bites.

In my experience staying hydrated is key. If you don't want a meal drink a Protein supplement instead or try the low fat string cheese and chew the snot out of it, only 50-70 calories depending upon which brand and they keep you satisfied.

I believe the reason a doctor or dietitian may tell you not to skip a meal is so that you do not get too hungry by the next meal.

In the short time I've had this thing I already realize that the more hungry I get the more likely I will do all the things they tell you not to do such as:

1) eating too fast before I get the "uh-oh" throat feeling.

2) not chewing enough

3) eating the wrong things

etc.

Thanks Albacheeser, for your comments. The reason I asked was that yesterday was the day after my third fill and I have either hit my 'sweet spot' or was swollen. I wasn't hungry when lunch time rolled around but eventually ate about a 1/4 cup of food and then managed about a cup of food for dinner. Both times I was more than satisfied. I'm going to monitor how I feel today. I just ate breakfast and what normally had me satisfied now had me really full! I think I'm going to have to cut back my portions on breakfast, though they weren't very big to begin with!

I've had 2 fills, and after each of them for the first day or 2. I was not at all hungry. Fortunately, since my doctor wants me to be on liquids for 2 day, I can still get my Protein in. I usually have the Isopure Zero Carb Protein drinks. One 20oz bottle has 40g Protein.

I read that our body tends to average out out protein intake, so it sounds like having low amounts of protein for a day or so, shouldn't hurt, as long as you normally consume proper amounts. If you aren't eating for more than 2 days, definately call your doctor. Good luck.

absolutely do not skip a meal....that will slow your metabolism as your body goes into survival mode.....drink a glass of skim milk if nothing else!! Protein

Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback and suggestions. Today I'm back to normal, mostly and was hungry for lunch about 5 hours out. I think yesterday may have been the day after banding thing. Since my doctor doesn't require two days of liquids, I may have just been extra full on my piece of quiche I had for breakfast. Thanks again and good luck to all of us!