Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port incision tenderness?

I have been banded for five weeks. I have been very lucky and have experienced very little pain and no complications. However, my port incision seems to be taking a looooonnnng time to heal. All my other incisions are healed over with no tenderness. My port incision is pink and very tender.

I just saw my PCP and she said it looked good with no sign of infection.

So...did anyone else's port incision take longer to heal than the other incision sites, and was it tender?

Thanks!

I was banded around the same time as you. I don't really have any tenderness at my port incision any more, but that incision definitely took the longest to heal. Actually, the other little incisions never really hurt at all, but the port incision (which is of course the biggest) took a little while to feel okay (maybe 2.5 or 3 weeks).

Right now, two of my smaller incisions actually don't look totally great. They're not infected, but they're just opening slightly. I've just been using hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. Seems to help a bit.

I was banded on June 16th and I still have tenderness around my port incision. The incisions still have not fully healed, but some heal slower than others. I'm not worried about it because I have been in to see my DR. about 4 times since my surgery, and there's no infection.

K, so I was only banded on Friday, but you are right, that darn port incision is miserable. None of my others hurt except for the one by my bra strap and that only hurts when my bra rubs it. However, I did a big no-no today. Soaked in the hot tub and iced it, feels sssssoooooo much better. Yes, I replaced the steri-strips, but it hurt so darn much!!!

Love my ice pack and have since surgery day. Helps with the pain, but also the swelling and inflamation thats making the pain. I am now only takign Tylenol for pain...

Hope this helps...

My surgery was on 7/10 and yes my port site still hurts-- quiet a bit at times. If I do anything that pulls at it or strains it, it hurts really bad. Whats wierd is that the incision site for my port has mostly healed up but the other ones hasn't. I had to take my steri-strips off 2 days after my surgery because my pain pump was causing me to bleed and since I had the one big clear bandage over the pain pump site and the incision site, I had to remove the steri strips. Like I said, it's healed okay. My problem is that when I try to do something at the kitchen counter and lean against it, the port site rubs the counter and it hurts pretty bad. I have to be very careful about that. The other thing is that I still can't sleep on that side. If I turn over on that side and I'm asleep the pain wakes me up. I'm hopeful that this does go away with more time. (Pleaseeeeeee! LOL)

I guess we just need to hang in there.

I was banded 5/29 and it has only been in the past few weeks that the port tenderness is finally gone - it definitely took longer than the other incisions. But now it's all good - I can lay on my front or my port side (as opposed to my starboard side? hahah) without any issues. It just took extra time.

The other incisions are just closing up your small wound, but the port is also stitching the port to the abdominal wall - so it's a bit more to heal, I'd think.

Hang in there!

I was banded 5/29 and it has only been in the past few weeks that the port tenderness is finally gone - it definitely took longer than the other incisions. But now it's all good - I can lay on my front or my port side (as opposed to my starboard side? hahah) without any issues. It just took extra time.

The other incisions are just closing up your small wound, but the port is also stitching the port to the abdominal wall - so it's a bit more to heal, I'd think.

Hang in there!

Ha! Funny you should call it the port side and starboard side -- that's what my hubby always says!!

That port incision stings like mad for a month or more! The kinda dig out a place in your muscle for it, that pocket they make fills with Fluid, and it takes your body 4-6 weeks to re-absorb that fluid & the stinging to go away. My surgeon said that's why the have us come in at 6 weeks out instead or 4 weeks out, LOL, so we don't bitch about how bad the port hurts!!

Speaking of ports hurting.. As I've said I am only today a week outta surgery, but this was funny....

Last night we were at our friends' house. Their kitchen table is a little thing with booth type bench seating around it, like at a restuarant. I was sliding around the table to make room for someone else to sit down and visit, when I accidentially all but buried the table corner to my spine on the port incision.. :crying: I turned every color of the rainbow, cursed enough to make a sailor blush, took 5 minutes for the birdies to quite circling my head in pain and agony.. Everyone stopped and held their breath to see if I was gonna need an ambulance or LOTS of pain pills.... Finally one of our male friends pipes up .... "Thank god there is a woman in this world that can experience being racked!!!" :frown: My port is right side, about 3 inch slightly off center of my belly button.

I laughed so darn hard after that!! Seriously, I am pretty sure that I have never had an incision as uncomfortable as this one...

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I'm still sore at the port. Especially after a day at work, I'm very sore in that area. And when I laugh really hard...forget it!! It's not horrible, just very aching/sore. It will be nice when it's gone!!

My port incision hurt for a while, still a little tender if pressure is put on it, and I had surgery June 5th.

I had surgery June 12th and my port site is just finally getting to were it doesn't hurt all the time. However, if I rub my stomach right there or hit it on something I certainly still feel it and it stays sore for a couple of days. I have been having some pain in the right side (rib cage) area. Doctor says it is muscle spasms and it should go away sometime soon. Well I wish that some time soon would hurry up, it's really annoying me!