Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having Lapband surgery on the 5th of Aug. I suppose it only makes sence that I would be getting a little scared and anxious. I would think we all go through this some time before surgery. Even losing weight is kinda scary to me. I know that sounds weird, but it is to me. I think I have put some sort of connection that being bigger means I am less vulnerable and nobody will bother me. Im not some little woman that is an easy target for others to harm... Yes, I know it sounds stupid. It's something in my head though.

Anyway~

I am getting frustrated with the Protein Drink thing, and I dont even have to be on it yet. Im just getting prepared. I can drink the pre-made shakes down, but I tried the fruit flavor clear drinks like Isopure, and BLLLAAA :D I am also finding they ALL seem to cause pretty strong diareah.:) I don't know why~ So this frustrates me, as I can not continue to drink something that does THAT. I am still trying other brands to see if they have the same effect. I PRAY I find that "right" one. The only shakes I have tried so far were the Oh yea brand. Has anyone else had this problem with ANY of the Protein Drinks?

Princess, there are a lot of threads talking about different Protein drinks because apparently one kind doesn't work for everyone. Maybe trying samples of different Protein drinks would help you find one and a lot of sites offer that, a groups of sample sizes flavors so you can try them out without wasting a lot of $. In my support group there was someone that came and gave us taste tests. She also sells samples at www.greatprotein.com. I liked the chocolate. Didn't like the strawberry, but everyone has different tastebuds. And it's sold by someone that uses her own product.

I'm still in the searching stage, pre-op as well. I've tried EAS low carb and they do the big D to me too, at least the chocolate fudge ones do. But taste wise, I love them. Those are in the grocery store and have 17 gr protein each. I've used Isagenix in the past as well, for dieting. It's available on the internet too. Then there are a lot of products at Bariatric Advantage on the internet too.

I hope you eventually find one that you like, and I'm sure if you try different ones, with different kinds of Proteins, you'll find one that doesn't give you the trots!!

Good luck!!

Hope - It's totally normal to be nervous. I was banded on the 22nd and I was very scared and nervous. I like the idea of you trying all the different Protein drinks before you have surgery to see what you like and what works for you. I didn't do that. I bought all the stuff weeks befote surgery and just stared at it in my kitchen. I was avoiding it as much as possible.

Do you know if your lactose intolerent? That's probably why you're getting diereah. I'm very lactose intolorent and I can't drink any milk products I get a horrible stomach ache and diereah (sorry if that's TMI)

The protien I've found that works great and is easiest to get down is New whey liquid Protein. It comes in what looks like a test tube and it's got 42g of protein! Two of those and I've had my Protein for the day. I tried drinking other kinds and it seem to take me all day to finish one.

Good Luck and don't worry. I'm shocked at how easy it's been! I'm not hungry and can't wait to be thinner!

This is going to be a hard road for us, but it's going to be sooo worth it!

I was going to suggest that may be lactose intolerant also. You can get Lactaid pills (or the generic equivlant) at any drug store. Try taking one or two with your Protein shake and see if that helps.

If you are thirsty make sure you are getting enough Water, particularly if you have diarreah. You need to up the Water when that is happening to keep you hydrated.

I think it is completely normal to be scared. I have written before that I think if you aren't scared that would be a problem! I am waiting for insurance approval and keep going back and forth between "Hurry up already I want to do this NOW" and " What in the hell am I thinking? Someone is going to cut into me and mess with my insides. Am I in INSANE?"

I think being scared shows that you know what you are getting into. You understand what you need to do to make this work. You understand the potential risks. That is a good thing. You are here. You have support here and can come anytime to get words of encouragement and advice. Don't think so much in terms of your outward appearance when you loose weight, but the health benefits. The stress you will take off of your heart, lungs and joints. The years you will add to your life to enjoy your loved ones. The things you will be able to do that you can't enjoy now. The rest will follow.

*Hugs*

ETA: Also check out this thread on the Cooking forum for some Protein Shake recipes: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f82/200-protein-shake-recipes-49774/

Edited by WDW Luver

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I know im not lactose intolerant, as I drink milk all the time without problem. Besides that, the "oh yea" drink I had is lactose free~ I know there are MANY different drinks out there to try. I am early in the tasting stages. It gets expensive if you find you cant drink the rest after the first couple sips. I have that test toob one you are talking about. I got it in the fridge waiting to be tried. Its all so strange to be doing this. Talk about going out of the comfort zone, eh.

Well, the search continues...

Be aware if there are artificial sweeteners in your Protein Powder. The Alcohol Sugars (sorbitol, manitol and some others) can cause diarhea in sensitive people. I am one of those and get a pretty violent reaction if I use too much. Splenda (sucralose) and Equal (aspertame) usually do not. Most sugar free candy, Jello, popsicles, etc have sugar alcohols in them.

Even tried the one in the tube now.... eeewwwhhuuuhuhuhhhuuuu~ It gave the creapy shivers after I tried a sip...:mad:

Im just giving up on the clear ones. I have some powder shakes to try now. The taist on most so far do not seem to bother me so much. I gotta more to search.

I go for my pre-op meeting seminar thingy on Tuesday. I am understanding that they will give mucho info then. If not, I will just have to get a hold of the dietician then after the surgery. I can Not believe starting in a little over a week, I am going to go 2 weeks without food... that is blowing my mind right now~:(

Heres to Tuesday*:tongue2: