Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are things going to change?

Are there things I can do now that I won't be able to do after the surgery? When I eat with another person are they going to be wondering why I'm not eating very much and obsessively chewing the little food I do eat?

When I met with the nurse today she said that it is important to find out where the bathroom is everytime you go to a restaurant because you may need to throw up on a moment's notice...OMG is it really like that? I certainly don't do that now?

I'm concerned I haven't thought everything through. I thought I would get this done, work through the first few months of learning new eating habits while continuing on with everything in my life as it always has been. Are there other things I'm missing? Is my life going to be flipped upside down?

Hmm, thats a lot of questions. I'm not sure if its going to be flipped up side down. It will definitely be different. After you get your band adjusted, just take some time (by yourself, or with someone who supports you) to figure out what you can eat, practice chewing very well, etc. It is not normal to be throwing up all the time. I don't think people are going to be wondering why you're eating such a small amount. And if they are, you can tell them, or not worry about them. food is actually meant to be chewed well; people in general don't chew their food well enough.

As far as thinking everything through, you should certainly get as much information as you can. Go to a seminar (Im assuming you did), talk to your doctor, dietician, psychologist etc. These boards are great for real life experiences from people. There is definitely a lot to think through, get as much information as you can so you can make an informed decision.

Good luck!

How funny is it I posted almost the same exact thing as you did! I so understand your thoughts and second guessing. I am battling that right now as well. I am sure you will agree that you know this will be the best decision you ever made but it is getting through this part. Yikes it is totally scary! Hopefully will both get some good advice!

Alison

I guess I'm in panic mode right now. Got my surgery date today, August 6th, and I'm not being well supported by the one person I chose to confide in.

I'm not sure how I can be doing the wrong thing, and if I am the "absolute worst" (barring anything truly serious) thing is that I'm out a lot of money. I'm a lower BMI (32) but I don't see how that should make a difference...I still need to lose weight.

I could really benefit from some anti-anxiety meds right now!

Edited by tvlbunny

Tvl and ThinAli,

I went through a huge range of emotions once I made my decision to get the band. I was worried I would never be able to enjoy the foods I love again and obviously food was very important to me otherwise I wouldn't be obese. Some things in your life will need to be changed in order to succeed. For me, exercise was not something I did very often. It is now part of my everyday life and I have learned to find enjoyment in it. In fact, I don't feel right if I go a day without working out. Some nights I don't eat the same foods as the rest of my family because at this present time I am struggling with too much restriction, but this hasn't always been the case. You may or may not have this problem and if you do it is correctable. If my surgeon wasn't 3 hours away and across the border in another country I would have gone back for a slight unfill by now but it just hasn't worked out with my work schedule to be able to go. Yes, because I am too tight I do vomit quite often but prior to being too tight I did not. It is perfectly natural for you to be second guessing yourself. This is a big step and a life changing decision. I can tell you that I look and feel so much better and I have absolutely no regrets. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I find that because of struggling to eat, food no longer plays such an important role in my life. I now eat to live and no longer live to eat. I have lost over 50 pounds in just 3 months and 18 inches from my measurements and you can to. I have gone from a tight size 24 to a size 18 and still shrinking. It is so worth it to make the lifestyle changes. Embrace the idea of a healthier you. You will be so glad you did and so will your loved ones.

My husband was very supportive of me but once my siblings found out that I was leaving the country for surgery I got all kinds of flack. Remember you are not doing this for anybody but yourself. Nobody knows what it is like to live inside a fat body and a fat mind unless they have experienced it for themselves.

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

Thank You it makes me feel better to know that you felt the same!

Ali

I sure did feel the same way. Try to relax, it really isn't is bad as you think. You can still enjoy most of the same foods but its better to wait till later on after you reach goal. You just need to exercise Portion Control and the band will help you do this.

I will be here to give you any support you need. Please drop me an email. Also go to the chat rooms here. The nicest people you ever wanted to meet. I am being banded next Wednesday 7/29 and I got the jitters and all the support for this website has really helped me.

Too funny!

I was banded on 4/13/09 and I had alot of questions too. At 12 weeks out I can tell you works out......I have had to PB (not the same at throw up) once at a resterant due to eating bread but it was no big deal.......I just got up and was back in five minutes. I eat slow which I did before the band anyway so no one thought anything of it...........seriously I didn't tell anyone at work and they have no idea and I go out to eat with them all the time...........you figure out it.

BUt yea knowing where the bathroom is at a resterant is a good idea............only had it happen once though. You learn when to stop and what NOT to eat............

Congrats on your surgery best decision I have made...........

I totally agree with Tina (above)! I only PB if I try to eat bread or something else that I KNOW does not work for me now (same for pancakes, tortillas) or if I try to eat too fast and am talking to people. Unlike Tina though, I told everyone who would listen, in a way it is harder because they watch me really close when I eat now, LOL!

And I agree with the poster who says exercise will become a part of your life - absolutely. You might not want to hear that, but believe me, when it happens to you you will be feeling SO great and have SO much energy that you will love exercising, and you will love that you love it! In that regard, I guess life HAS kinda flipped upside down for me - I went from a sloth to an excercise fiend - but things had ton change, didn't they? For my health, and for my self-esteem.

That said, I still do all of the things that I did before the band - and even more, because I CAN do more. I honestly do not feel like I have had any negative changes. No I don't even miss bread! It's AMAZING this little band in me :-)

everyones given really good advice so far. A few pointers I'd like to add. When u feel full stop eating immediately. Do not try to get in a few more bites. It only takes a very small amount to take you from full to PBing. and if you feel like foods stuck don't take a drink to get yourself unstuck. Whatever u drink will usually come right back up and just make it worse. And it can be rough at first but once you get used to new eating habits it gets a lot better.

That being said Ive had really good success so far and have never regretted my decision to be banded! Good luck!