Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dry Lips??? Help!

I had my Lap-Band surgery one year ago. After I had it adjusted a couple times and felt some restriction (around last December) I noticed some changes. One being that I have permanently dry lips. They are dry and chapped constantly! It's not big cracks like I used to get in the winter when I lived in Minnesota, but instead the skin on my lips is forever peeling off. I know this is graphic, but it's like they are shedding! All the time!

I have tried every kind of chap stick and lip repair treatment, and nothing really helps. I still put chap stick on about every 10 to 15 minutes, and sleep with it on. I live in a very humid part of the country, so it's not like the air is dry outside. And none of the other skin on my body is dry, just my poor lips. I thought it could be a Vitamin deficiency, but I take a daily vitamin. Have any of you experienced this? It is embarrassing and unattractive, what can I do?

Thanks

My mother saw me today and said my lips were chapped. At one of my visits to my surgeon's office they made mention of it as well at had me go to the er for an iv. I was told it was due to partial dehydration. I don't have any issues with my skin being dry, other than my lips. I live by chapstick.

I had my Lap-Band surgery one year ago. After I had it adjusted a couple times and felt some restriction (around last December) I noticed some changes. One being that I have permanently dry lips. They are dry and chapped constantly! It's not big cracks like I used to get in the winter when I lived in Minnesota, but instead the skin on my lips is forever peeling off. I know this is graphic, but it's like they are shedding! All the time!

I have tried every kind of chap stick and lip repair treatment, and nothing really helps. I still put chap stick on about every 10 to 15 minutes, and sleep with it on. I live in a very humid part of the country, so it's not like the air is dry outside. And none of the other skin on my body is dry, just my poor lips. I thought it could be a Vitamin deficiency, but I take a daily Vitamin. Have any of you experienced this? It is embarrassing and unattractive, what can I do?

Thanks

Dear NBG,

When I was younger I had never had dry skin, except for every year when the weather started getting cold, my lips were so dry I became constantly attached to Chap Stick until the weather got warm again. Then I read somewhere that Chap Stick is addictive--the more you use, the more you need to use it; I know that sounds weird.

Well, now that I am older, my skin is much dryer on my feet, legs, hands and arms--of course my lips are dry all year long now. My favorite lip quencher is sold at Bath & Body (can't think of the name), not that it helps more than anything else, it just feels so good when you put it on. I am Type 11 Diabetic and I know that causes my feet to be dry, but I agree that dehydration is a big problem, especially after lap band surgery. I have always drunk lots of Water, but now with this "wait an hour after you eat" deal, I find myself forgetting to drink. You should probably ck with your dr regarding dehydration, because it is much more serious than most people think. Good Luck!

WATER! Are you getting at least 64 oz of the pure stuff in? Seriously it is vital. Especially since many get liquid from food but as bandsters progress, we don't eat much food, so that 64 oz of Water becomes even more vital. It is easy to be dehydrated and not even know it. Make sure your water intake is adequate and if that doesn't fix it (if you've been "under" drinking, give it a week or two of adequate hydration to see a change in your lips) call your banding surgeon.

I agree about the Water. I've always suffered from dry, peeling liops. I've found that vaseline works better for me than chap stick.

Id suggest more Water too... now that our bodies arent eating or consuming as much we arent taking water via our food..hence the dehydration..One major part of weightloss is the "fat' Is passed thru our kidneys etc and passed as urine.. sorry to be disgusting lol so the more we pass the more water our bodies need to help it away.also I dont use chapstick I find it doesnt stay on long enough for me I use paw paw ointment thats readily available here in aussie.. I might sudgest you google it you maybe able to get it where u are as well. The ointment is a topical and antibac as well and oh so softening on the lip.

Are you getting enough good-quality (heart-healthy) fat in your diet? This can play into dryness, as well.

Yeah, I'm totally addicted to Carmex. For years. It's like crack. If I need it, and don't have it, I'll freak out. Ok, not freak out, but I'm very uncomfortable. I'd even be willing to use someone else's and I never do that with anything else (don't eat/drink after people).

I don't know what will help you, but STAY AWAY FROM THE CARMEX.

TWO WORDS: Water! Carmex (blue tub)!

I suffer from dry everything and for my lips these 2 work miracles. My regime is after brushing my teeth and washing my face before bed I apply the carmex. In the morning you will have a chap-less pout.

During the day I reapply, reapply, reapply. I put it on with my lipgloss. Its a life saver.

Water is the absolute minimum requirement. But no amount of Water alone alleviates my chapping, it only helps.

Hey Carmex addicts!

TWO WORDS: Water! Carmex (blue tub)!

I suffer from dry everything and for my lips these 2 work miracles. My regime is after brushing my teeth and washing my face before bed I apply the carmex. In the morning you will have a chap-less pout.

During the day I reapply, reapply, reapply. I put it on with my lipgloss. Its a life saver.

Water is the absolute minimum requirement. But no amount of Water alone alleviates my chapping, it only helps.

Hey Carmex addicts!

^_^:lol:

She means, "Reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, reapply, x700"

Yeah, I'm totally addicted to Carmex. For years. It's like crack. If I need it, and don't have it, I'll freak out. Ok, not freak out, but I'm very uncomfortable. I'd even be willing to use someone else's and I never do that with anything else (don't eat/drink after people).

I don't know what will help you, but STAY AWAY FROM THE CARMEX.

HolliJ I used to use Carmex until a good friend pointed out that it's really intended for cold sores (which I don't have) and it has ALUM in it, which is a drying agent! No WONDER we have to constantly reapply it!

She got me off the Carmex and on to "Soft Lips" which is moisturizing (more than chapstick which just coats them in wax as far as I can tell) and protects them. Give it a try.

I've never been able to use chapsticks as they bring me out in cold sores. In winter its a vicious circle. If they get too dry I break out but if I use chapstick or vaseline then I break out anyway!

Clinique makes a product called Super Balm. No scent, color, etc. This is the best product I've ever used, hands down. $12 a tube but for me worth every penny. I drink TONS of Water, more than the 64 oz. and I don't put a darned thing in it...but I still have very dry lips that peel and even split on occasion and it doesn't have to be cold weather. I'd tried everything and was in the department store and walked by the Clinique counter and simply asked the consultant if Clinique had anything. She put a sample squirt on my finger and I put it on my lips and felt instant improvement. I went back the next day and bought a tube.

I second (third? fourth?) the Carmex recommendations for instant relieve.

But I also agree that the underlying problem is likely dehydration. Concentrate on drinking plenty of non caffenated fluids throughout the day especially when you are sweating. Weird, I know but a good way to know if you are getting enough is paying attention to the color of your pee...if it is yellow drink more Water until it comes out clear.