Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you attend support groups?

I am about 6 weeks post surgery and I haven't gone to one yet. I have young children and work full time and so it's difficult to sneak away too much. I've preferred my away time to be at the gym.

Does this board take the place of a face to face support group? Does it fulfill the same purpose? Or is there something about a face to face meeting that I'm missing?

I want to optimize my success, and I think this board gives me what I need to stay focused, to learn, to compare my experiences with others. I believe that's what a face to face support group would do. However, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

What are your thoughts? Are they different, do you need both? Or does one suffice to meet the need for connection?

I think it does for me anyway. Although I tend to be a bit of a loner and very (sometimes overly) confident in my own knowledge and opinions. But I am by nature someone who researches pretty thoroughly and informs myself about things I decide to do.

I appreciate the companionship, the debates and the general connections on here, but I dont feel I need "support" in that I need to be able to ask questions or seek guidance. I'm able to do that for myself.

For others there's no substitute for face to face support, its just personality dependent, whether you need it or not. But I wouldnt feel like you're missing out on something and not realising it if you dont feel you particularly need it.

Does this board take the place of a face to face support group? Does it fulfill the same purpose? ?

it does for me.

i don't care for the face to face support group - one weight watchers mtg a few yrs back did me in on that scene.

i see my dr regularly enough & his practice is quite accessible should i have an emergency or question needing answered.

he's also 1.5hr away & his support mtgs are in the evening -so that's not going to happen for me, even if i was interested.

good luck.

I go to a monthly group and its great. Its more a social thing but people do tell their stories and listening to them and seeing how much weight they have lost is truly inspirational.

As I don't personally know anyone that has had WLS it was particularly valuable for me in the preop/deciding to go ahead stage.

I've been wondering about attending support groups myself. I'm not totally comfortable in those situations. Partly, because there's always one person in the group who needs attention badly, hogs the conversation, and goes on and on about other stuff. That happened at my first seminar.

I have really enjoyed all that I have learned from this forum. In fact, when I went to my first seminar, the only things I didn't already know where things particular to my surgeon and his practice. All of the other stuff I learned here or thru my own research. I so appreciate that people here are willing to share their stories and thoughts. You know these people are doing and feeling stuff just like you are. But you don't have to be dressed and looking your best to be here...I think you gotta wear clothes to support groups...at least band support groups! :cursing: I guess I like the 24 hour access and no dress code here. Could I host a support group from my pool?? Nah, can't afford more deck chairs since I'm a band self-pay girl.

Just my thoughts,

ThePoolGirl

My support group meets every other week. I make it a point to attend regularly. My group is comprised of bypass and band patients, both pre-op and post-op. I've been going for well over a year and find them somewhat useful. There was a time when I decided I didn't need the information or meetings because I felt they were redundant. But now I go without any hesistation. My surgeon's office has an excellent program overall and I love him and his staff. I think the meetings complement the information that I receive here at LBT.

I was required to go to two prior to my revision surgery to RNY. I wasn't too excited as I had gone to them before when I had the lap band and went to ones just for lap bands. But I switched to a different group that takes all surgeries before, after or just thinking about it and have found it really helpful. It's also held at the hospital nearest my home. The woman who runs it is wonderful and had the same surgery six years ago and there are other women there and men who are post-op that long and it's nice to actually see people face to face for me. It's only once a month but it helps me feel somewhat accountable. Maybe because I'm on my second surgery I wanted to feel like this time around I did everything right, you know what I mean? Good luck, Nancy:thumbup:

I like to go to the meetings. I have missed the last three due to work and vacations but I plan on starting back up in August.

The support group at my surgeon's office is across town at 6pm once a month. The traffic is VILE beyond words that time of day (and there is ongoing interstate construction at his exit, etc). I would literally have to leave home by about 4:45 or earlier to make it on time. So no, I don't go. I too am not a joiner although I probably would've gone at least a time or two to see what it is all about if it were closer or later or earlier or whatever!

I go off and on. If I'm having trouble getting my head back in the game, I'll go for a few weeks.

Like Jacqui, I prefer to do my own research and learn on my own, but it does help to sometimes be there in person for the free exchange of ideas in real time.

Another advantage to the support group I attend is the clothes swap. A great way of saving money on clothes in a size which hopefully you won't be in for long. I have to admit though that having a lower starting BMI means that there isn't often anything for me.

I'm on this website all this time, this is my support group. Other than that there are several people who I know that have had the surgery and funny enough it was all with the same doctor so I kinda compare notes with everyone.

I didnt go to my first support group until about 6 months out. I went the local support group and didnt find it very helpful and more than likely will never go back. My Drs office is an hour away and they hold a support group once a week. I went once and found it extremely helpful but the drive keeps me from going more often. Im thinking about going today because it was helpful in a different way than this board is. If my Drs group was local I would be there every week.

I go when I can (sometimes, obviously, I have conflicts). I've found that the support groups cannot be replaced by this (and other) forums. There is usually a planned topic which is discussed in depth, then questions about the topic and other issues. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the support group sessions I've gone to. I thought it would be ho-hum and that I wouldn't be able to get out of there fast enough.

I try to attend the monthly meetings as they are very informative and I like seeing the progress of other lapbanders in person. I am so fortunate that I go weekly for a one on one with my coordinator. I see from the forums that most don't have that type of support that I do. It holds me accountable and I'm the type of person who needs to be accountable to someone or I would most likely "fall of the wagon" I guess it is up to the individual. If these forums are enough for you and you are seeing the results you want then that is what works for you.