Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you take of work?

I'm a teacher, so I debated wheather to do it on a Thursday and come back on a Tuesday or wait till summer and have all the time I needed. I'm glad I chose to do it over the summer. I would have been ready to go back in two weeks.... Definitely not 5 days later. But, everyone is different. I'm a wuss I guess....

I had surgery on Tuesday i went back to work on Friday. So i took 3 days off.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I'm expecting to be out from Tuesday-Sunday. That gives me 6 days to recover and then I'm going back to work on Monday. If I HAVE to, I can take off longer. I sit at a desk all day, though, so I think I'll be ok.

Had my band on June 27 and I'm still off work and I work from home sitting all day. It's the sitting I can't do for long periods and I do 10 hour shifts. My GP has asked me to stay off until I have my 6 week check with the surgeon but I don't think that will happen!

I was wondering how long everyone took off work when they had their surgeries?

A few people at work got the band and one was back on Saturday after surgery on Wednesday. A few took a week. I myself had my surgery on Wednesday the 8th of July and I'm still home. I'm planning on staying home tomorrow as well, and I will see about Wednesday when it gets here. Of course I have a job where I can sit all day if I need to and my boss is accommodating. She's so accommodating that she said I can come in at 4am till noon to avoid people if I wanted. I may try that on Thursday. I may go in at 4am and work till maybe 9. I'll see when it gets closer.

Hi Nellie,

I had surgery a day before you on July 7th. I went back to work today, or rather yesterday now, 07/14/2009. I felt good enough to go back on Monday, but wanted the extra day and start on my normal first day at work. I work from home as a medical transcriptionist, so I didn't really have to "go in" to anywhere to work. My doc told me to go back to work whenever I felt like it. I probably would have taken some extra time too just because, but I didn't have enough vacation time.

Good luck!! :thumbup:

I had my surgery yesterday, Tuesday 7/14/09. So far I feel okay, I plan on returning to work on Monday, 7/20/09. However, if I so not feel well, I will take another week. I have a sit down job that does require me to give presentations, and I have 2 scheduled the week of the 20th. I plan on rescheduling those just in case. We will see what happens.

I'm in the UK and I know things like sick pay are different here...

My Doctor was very careful, and as I was the first person in our surgery to have it done, she was a little over cautious. I had the op on Monday 8th June and I went back to work three weeks later.

Physically, I could have gone back after two weeks, but she wanted to ensure I was fully healed internally as well as externally - she explained that an odd, sudden movement could easily pull at internal stitches etc...

My Manager was great - I work in local government, and get full sick pay, so I made sure I told people in my office WHY I was off, involved my team in it etc, and they have all been great. Lots of people said they expected me to be off for a month, which I think is FAR too long, but I also think that you need to be careful - I'd book 2 weeks off personally - I think you guys that have it done and go back after 2 or 3 days are bonkers....

I hadn't even recovered from the anaesthetic properl;y after two or three days - let alone surgery!!!

DESPERATE now for my 1st fill.... 21st July (next week!!)

I was ready to go back to work but didn't and I'm glad I did. Take care and be careful. I stayed home two weeks got adjusted to meals and soreness. You can still move around with no problem. I learned what to eat at work the second week was on mushies. I wasn't sure how I would do once I started more solid food. It helped me out to wait it out. Good Luck

I actually got lucky, i had my surgery the Friday before the MLK holiday, so I was back to work on Tuesday =)!

I had surgery yesterday and go to the doctor on Friday the 24th, expect to return to work on the 27th. My stomach is

really sore so I have been taking it easy. Take your time and listen to your body. :wub:

weight.png

Saffy thanks for this, and everyone of course. I am in UK also and on full sick pay with the full support of my managers. The GP recommended I have 6 weeks off but I just got another note for 2 weeks and reckon I'll be back by the end of July. I do keep getting yellow bruising appearing though around the port wound

My surgery was 7/7....and i returned to work today, 7/15. I feel good..just minor soreness but i'm sure i'll be tired tonight! I miss my afternoon naps! I would have liked to have had a couple more days just relaxing at home, but...oh well!

The soreness is not the problem it don't hurt much. It's what and what you can't eat. And how to handle that at work. I eat lunch with 5 others. I had to learn and prepare my meals. Especially on liquids. Being home was so much easier for my mind and body. Aloha!

I took 10 days.