Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I start to feel restriction?

I'm confused and looking for some of your experiences. I was banded on 6/17. I got my first fill this past Friday, July 10th. The whole process wasn't bad (although I was looking forward to having a topical anesthetic that I didn't get). He said that I already had 3cc in--which surprised me because I thought they said they don't fill it at all during surgery. The Dr. added 1cc. So, I thought, wow, 4cc I should feel something. Nope, Nothing. I don't feel any different restriction wise. I asked and he told me I have a 10 cc band. Should I be concerned that I don't feel anything? I've read that it can take a week or two to feel it? Delayed reaction?? I'm hoping for that. Or anything! I go back July 28th for another fill. I'm just starting to get discouraged. I've only lost 10lbs and it's been 3.5 weeks. I'll stop complaining, I know it is a long process of lifestyle change. I was just hoping to feel a difference after my first fill. :)

Everyone is different. I felt very little restriction after my first fill with 5 ccs in a 10 cc band. I feel too much restriction at times now that I've had a second fill with 7 ccs total. I'll probably have them remove a tiny bit this month. Good luck.

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. You are going through what they call "bandster hell." I felt absolutely no restriction until fill #4 or 5. Got to my sweet spot at fill #6. Just be diligent about going for your fills every four weeks and you will get there!

Wow my doctor made me wait 6 weeks for the first fill, so I just had one this week, I feel restriction from this one and it seems to be about right, but they said that it would probably change and loosen up in a week or two and that I would need another fill. Be paitient, this is a long term process and you need to take it slow and easy.

Im posting so you can see my signature. Ive listed all of my fills. My Dr told me that on average it takes about 3-4 fills to notice but that depends on what kind of schedule your drs office uses. Ive seen people post that they only get .5cc per fill, my Dr gives larger fills depending on how you feel.

Remember too that they state over and over that AVERAGE LOSS is 1-2 pounds a week. It isn't bypass. 10 pounds in 3.5 weeks puts you 3 pounds ahead of the curve.

The NP at my doc's office said many of their patients don't get restriction until 6 months out...but he fills conservatively.

From what I understand, it depends on your doctor and your individual body as to whether or not you get any kind of fill when you have your surgery. My husband also has the 10 cc band and he received no fill during surgery. I have the 4 cc band and I received a .8 cc fill during surgery. So I guess it really depends on what type of band you have and your stomach. We go for our first fill today, so we'll see, but I am sure my fill will be much smaller than my husbands, since his band holds more. A lot of the new bandsters have the 14 cc band, so it really just depends on a lot of things, but you'll get there. We were lucky enough to have lost a lot of weight right away (over 20 lbs each-the first 2-3 weeks), but have lost very little since then and on some days we even go up a pound, then back down again. Hang in there!

Thanks everyone. I feel better about it. I'm just going to continue to make smart decisons and exercising. I feel reassured now...I"ll be patient and look forward to subsequent fills. Good things are worth waiting for right?!