Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it's been a while since we've all had our May surgery...

Hi, everyone! Linda, you are really doing amazing! I think you might want to think about packing some Protein bars for your trip also. At our support group last night, the surgeon's assistant was saying that the surgeon suggests eating a Protein Bar instead of drinking a Protein shake because it will stay in your stomach longer, keeping you full longer. I never thought of that before, so I thought I'd pass it along. Plus, they are easy to pack and carry.

Singing, I really think you need to call your doc and tell him/her that you need a fill! I finally did that last week (I was two weeks away from a fill) and I'm so glad I did. In fact, the surgeon's assistant told me I did the exact right thing. If you are hungry all the time, call. Listen to your body. It is telling you that you need restriction. (And btw, on a side note, I've been meaning to tell you that I love your screen name. That song has been my ringtone for two years. :wink2:)

Oh, and regarding Water.... I love Fuze, but I drank so much of it at first that I got tired of the flavors very quickly, so I started trying other flavored waters. Here are some other good ones that come in yummy flavors: SoBe lifewater 0 cal; Eating Right Zero Calorie (Safeway store brand); Vitamin Water XXX 10 Calorie; Metromint 0 cal; and Welch's Diet 10 cal. Metromint is really a trip. It's minty water, which tastes extra cold! The one I tried was chocolate mint, which sounds sorta funky, but the chocolate was so subtle, it was really quite good. I found it at Whole Foods. Of course, I drink regular water, too, but since giving up my Diet Coke addiction, I've been having fun trying these flavored waters. :scared2:

It's my ringtone too!

As for Water...thanks for those suggestions! I think one can tire easily from too much Fuze because the taste is so very sweet although it's great for the calories.

I will keep my eye out for the others.

Thanks for the tip "Singing". That had not occured to me.

I know I don't drink enough. I can't find anything I like except for the peach tea I make, no sugar of course.

I have to have someone cover for me when I leave my desk, so I try not to drink too much. Health wize though that's not good.

I didn't know about the Water pushing food through faster. Thanks Ann. Diet Coke and Diet Ginger Ale, oh how I miss them.

Oh well, it's worth it.

"I didn't know about the Water pushing food through faster."

I think you should inquire more about this.

liquids and food usually don't go together because the liquids will just back up in the esophagus and come back up! I was advised to wait at least 30 minutes before drinking after eating..

perhaps I didn't get the context/meaning of the statement exactly right and I am missing something?.

Glad you got an appointment, Singing! You are on your way to feeling better with more restriction soon! :scared2:

Hello everyone! I am doing great. I feel great, no pain whatsoever. I have joined a gym and really need to start going so I can see some results. I am hovering at about 240 still, (started at 272), so I have had good results, but it is slow. I've had 2 fills and am scheduled for a 3rd on August 4th. I hope the 3rd fill will get me to my sweet spot because I think I can eat entirely too much at one time right now. Example-yesterday at work, I had about a cup of fat free refried Beans (with TB hot sauce and fat free mozz cheese on top) and a burrito made with a flatout tortilla (low carb with Protein and flax seeds). The burrito had grilled chicken breast strips inside and ff mozz cheese. I was able to eat all of it and felt full afterwards but it seems like a lot of food for someone who has had 2 fills totaling about 8-9cc's!

I have been getting compliments and am able to wear size 20 jeans/pants (was wearing a tight 22), and am wearing an XL top (XXL pre op). The bath towel is bigger and so are my favorite hoodies! :smile:

Edited by HeavyHeviCyndi
typo

I had my first fill and am anxiously awaiting my second. The scale isn't moving much but my clothes continue to get looser. I am exercising a lot as well. I have 2cc in a 14cc band. I will be getting my second fill August 11. I noticed a very slight difference with 2cc so I'm hoping that with 4 it will be more pronounced...

I had my first fill, but I think I will need another one. I need to work on getting my exercise in, I'm such a procrastinator. I tried the couch to 5k over in another thread & thought I was gonna DIE, lol. But I'm going to try and stick with it.

My clothes are all loose & been able to fit in a few I havent worn in some time. I dont feel alot of restriction either, unless I dont chew a piece of chicken good enough, then look out.

I'm not really sure on this... but when they give you a fill.. isnt just making the "entry hole" into your stomach smaller? Is actually making the pouch smaller too, or just where it goes in? I feel like my fill just made the "entrance" a little smaller, but I still can eat more than I would want to.

As far as I understand, Cathy, the fill just tightens the band, so the hole just gets smaller. That way, the food stays in your small stomach/pouch and fills you up faster. :thumbup:

I went for an early second fill because I was not feeling much restriction. The only time I felt I had the band was when I ate dry substances like anything with a crust or flour coating, chicken, tilapia, turkey. Also, If I eat and then drink something after to try and wash it down. Other than that I can eat almost anything..in abundance. I do have SOME restriction, but would like more. I am trying to eat cheese, eggs(no longer bother me) and v8 and carrot juice, seafood salad, vegetables with mushrooms, shakes and bars.

The Dr refused to give me 'an adjustment' as he called it.

I have to wait about 10 days before a 2nd fill, which I can do. Instead, he suggested I see the nutritionist so I will have foods that fill me more.

When I went on the scale there , it showed 3 lbs lost since the last visit, but I had yo-yo ed in between, having gained weight and lost it again for the weigh-in!

(food addiction is so insidious and cunning)

One good thing..my pressure is normal,

my cholesterol is normal,and I have a bag for the used clothing donation truck when they call in the fall; my pants are 'bag lady' looking now.

One gal at a support meeting said that the scale may not show lbs lost, but you may have lost INCHES..and that is the TRUTH!

Edited by singingintherain

What a great thread!

You are all doing great!! Yeah for the MayoBanditos!!

I'm doing great - completely recovered from surgery and feeling more and more energy everyday. I just want to get out and do things now.

The only thing I'm having a problem with is getting enough Water. After my surgery I ended up dehydrated and needing IV fluids a few times, and then a few weeks ago I ended up with a bladder infection - 1st one I've ever had - and the Dr. said it was most likely from not enough fluids. So It's my biggest challenge. It just seems that I can only drink small sips and not too fast. Meaning one bottle of Water takes me maybe 2 hours to drink. It's veyr hard when we can't drink before, during or after meals as well. There are just not enough hours in the day!!!

My second challenge is keeping food down on the weekends. I'm really busy and working outside and just being very active...I can't keep anything down - sometimes even liquids. I'll be famished, eat a few tiny bites of something...then Whoops....PB. Ugh...I can live with it though - this only seems to be happening on the weekends for some strange reason.

I've lost just over 50 lbs. (33 since May 13th Surgery) so I'm just thrilled!!

Take care everyone!

Hey Jennifer,

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome. But I worry about not being able to keep things down or how hard it is getting Water in. Are you sure you're not too tight? I can guzzle my Water still but I know I have restriction because I can stay satisfied on less than a cup of food for 4-5 hours. And I need to be really careful about chewing. I find that I'm having trouble with beef and have decided to stay away from it, even if it's very tender.

Hi maclynn!

Yes, I'm actually sure I'm too tight...after reading all of the posts from everyone else where they are hungry or can eat too much. I don't have that problem at all.

I was also very sick and very nauseated for a full week after the surgery. As I said I ended up dehydrated. My Dr. says I was a "special case." (Ha...my Husband just LOOOOVED that description...I'll never live it down...lol) He said that the band itself is tight and that must have been the reason for my problems after surgery. My surgeon tried to do a fill but he had to remove it. It validated all of the problems I had been having.

I am scheduled for a follow up on the 3rd so I'm going to be sure and tell him again that I'm still BP'ing and that I don't think I need a fill.

Thank you for your reply - you sure hit the nail on the head. :-)

I forgot to add that I also have to be very careful chewing and that I can not do red meat either. On vacation I tried some veg./beef Soup and the meat was really tender - thought it would be fine...big mistake. Just one small piece (and I chewed it well!) and I spent the rest of that lunch in the restroom.

My favorite protien is Talapia. Funny, I wouldn't touch it before the band. But I love everything about it now! Shrimp is working for me too so I can change it up.

Beans are great.

Anyway...my surgeon doesn't understand why I can eat food and it doesn't get stuck (too often) but the Water or liquids I have to sip. I dont' know either - it's strange.

Does anyone else have that problem?