Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat when . . .

I'm just curious. We all have cravings (head hunger) from time to time. Sometimes we want something salty, sweet, sweet and salty, chocolate, cold, hot, etc. When you get one of these cravings, what do you eat that is healthy yet curbs that craving? I just want ideas here.

So far, my cravings have been for crunchy and chocolate and it is really hard not to give in to them. I have found sugar free italian ice that I really love which solves the crunchy for me and also sugar free fudge pops that I like which solves the chocolate for me.

I crave salty foods a lot, and I find that eating a pickle curbs it perfectly

Salty: soynuts, beef Jerky, 100 cal popcorn

Chocolate: Viativ chews, Pure Protien bars (cut up and just a bite/save for later)

Sweet: SF Jello with FF cool whip

For me, I crave the crunchy stuff. I am grocery shopping today and plan on picking up some soy nuts and 100 cal packs of Snacks. The other day I sat down w/ a box of the hubs Cereal telling myself I'd only munch until I felt full. Ha! I ate what was in the box and felt sick the rest of the day. I put myself back on the liquid diet for two days to give my pouch time to relax after I made that big ooops. I can stop at one packet, so I think having that stuff around will help me.

My doc says NO Snacks or the band will FAIL!

I know bandsters who snack and are successful, so he's not 100% right...but I find I personally do better if I follow his rule. It's hard sometimes, but overall easier than it was when I would allow myself "a little something". Apparently I still haven't mastered that "moderation" thing! LOL

He (my doc) says if we eat 3 meals a day at the same time every day, we can train our bodies to be hungry then. Having worked for years with a set lunch time I know he's telling the truth so I'm really working on that. I know in this day/age with our modern lifestyles it's hard to find 3 times that work every day of the week, but I haven't given up. It does seem to help with cravings and desire to snack. And if there is something I MUST have and the feeling lingers longer than 24 hours...I incorporate it into a meal.

I'm just curious. We all have cravings (head hunger) from time to time. Sometimes we want something salty, sweet, sweet and salty, chocolate, cold, hot, etc. When you get one of these cravings, what do you eat that is healthy yet curbs that craving? I just want ideas here.

One thing I finally learned is that habits are learned. I used to be a "flour" person. Anything with flour and if I ate what I was craving I craved even more of it.

What if you try something for three weeks. It's hard but it really works. Dodge the cravings and when you have head hunger eat a veggie. Even if you don't like it eat it anyway. I know, it's hard. But amazingly, soon you learn to like it and you really do begin craving it.

Before surgery the only veggies I ate were those on top of my burger. ;o) Today I honestly sincerely crave yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers, cauliflower, etc. I can graze all day if I want because of the types of foods I graze on. I do not gain and I get to graze and feed head hunger.

Hi:

At night when I want something I usually have sugar free popsicles. If I crave salt I have some microwave lowfat popcorn. Sometimes if I want something sweet I'll have a teaspoonful of sugarfree raspberry jelly.

When the weather gets really hot I crush up some ice (bought electric ice crusher - well worth it), pour some lemonade or diet coke on it and eat it with a spoon. It's got crunch and it's nice and cold on a hot day.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

A weight watchers english toffee ice cream bar. yum.

chocolate pudding in a cloud.(sugar free whip cream pressed against the sides of a desert dish with SF chocolate pudding in the middle.

I find it helpful to differentiate cravings and urges.

I get the urge to eat something bad, oh, about 400 times a day. Those I ignore.

A real craving or desire to eat something, I usually indulge that. I dont see why not. I dont get a real craving all that often, and when I have one, there is no substituting. I just have whatever it is that I really fancy. I view this is a lifestyle, not a diet, and that worked for me.

Although i would say I had a sweet tooth, I find that I get many urges for sweet foods but rarely cravings. However, every now and then I will REALLY want something salty, like hot chips. .

I will second the this is a lifestyle not a diet concept. Telling myself I could never again have X or Y was not going to work for me.

But I have found ways to curb the carving without keeping me on the treadmill for an extra hour.

chocolate - a SF pudding - with a teaspoon of Peanut Butter. Taste like a big reese cup! Two cravings in one.

I also keep a small block of really good dark chocolate in the house. One square goes along way. Milk doesnt seem to work to curb the craving - dont know why.

chips - it still has to be chips. I can't buy a "family size" bag because eating the whole bag is still too easy a year out. So I spend a little extra and buy the small lunch bag size. Usually only have chips once every two months or so the extra cost isnt going to keep me from retirement!

I keep a bottle of Hershey's Syrup in the fridge. 1 teaspoon only has about 30 calories (don't quote me - too lazy to get up and check the bottle). I swirl that into my iced coffee - Decaf. Really tastes good.

I have 1 choc. (100 cal. GNC)Protein drink still a day. Treat this as my treat also sometimes with 1 tsp. of hershey or 1 tsp. of Peanut Butter with tons of ice.

Also, as one of the other posters stataed, if I do splurge and give in once in a while, I treat that as my meal.

Edited by maryrose