Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat when . . .

You all have some really interesting suggestions that I've never even heard of before. I love the international touch that this website provides. So many use chocolate pudding. That is a good suggestion.

Like a lot of you, I am not one to deprive myself if my body sends strong signals that it needs something. Usually if I just go ahead and listen and respond, I'm good. That this is a new life style is totally correct.

I look forward to reading more interesting ideas. Keep'em coming.

A mini can of V-8 low sodium juice only has 30 calories and is PACKED with nutrition. That will usually hold me off from eating something bad. I do still crave my salty chips though. That is my downfall. Sweets? Not a problem. Just the chips. I have read on hear that we don't get hungry, that it's all head hunger. Maybe for you, but I DO GET HUNGRY. I can tell the difference. When I crave something and have head hunger, I want it and fixate on it. When I'm hungry, my stomach gowls and rumbles, it hurts and then I get nauseous. If I let it go to long I get a roaring headache. So I DO get hungry. When I'm like that, I don't care what I eat. I just want something, anything in my tummy so the discomfort will stop. At that time I usually reach for a protien food like nuts, or cheese. It evens out my blood sugar, and makes me feel better immediately. Actually, I do better with real hunger than I do with head hunger. With head hunger I'm just being a spoiled brat and eat crap.

A mini can of V-8 low sodium juice only has 30 calories and is PACKED with nutrition. That will usually hold me off from eating something bad. I do still crave my salty chips though. That is my downfall. Sweets? Not a problem. Just the chips. I have read on hear that we don't get hungry, that it's all head hunger. Maybe for you, but I DO GET HUNGRY. I can tell the difference. When I crave something and have head hunger, I want it and fixate on it. When I'm hungry, my stomach gowls and rumbles, it hurts and then I get nauseous. If I let it go to long I get a roaring headache. So I DO get hungry. When I'm like that, I don't care what I eat. I just want something, anything in my tummy so the discomfort will stop. At that time I usually reach for a protien food like nuts, or cheese. It evens out my blood sugar, and makes me feel better immediately. Actually, I do better with real hunger than I do with head hunger. With head hunger I'm just being a spoiled brat and eat crap.

This is me exactly!

I don't eat bad stuff very often. Sometimes I choose a healthy option when I get a craving, but if I really REALLY want potato chips I buy a little individual bag and share it with my husband at mealtime. I really crave Protein more than anything else, but once in a while a different craving will show up. "Treating myself" sure has a different meaning than it did a year ago.

My doc says no "snacking" as well and to wait to eat only when I am hungry. I have Breakfast about 6:30, then about 8:30 I'm hungry again -I'm talking stomach rumbling pain hungry - and that is after a 25 gram Protein Breakfast. lunch is around 11:00 and dinner about 5 p.m. I talked with my doc's office and they told me if I am truly hungry mid morning to eat something healthy, that my body just must need something, so that's what I've been doing. I notice if I let myself get too hungry I tend to snarf and then have issues. Since I can go 5-6 hours between lunch and dinner and feel I have good restriction we don't see any reason to push another fill at this point.

Definitely follow your docs orders, but if you aren't fitting the bandster mold like me, talk with your doc about it. We aren't all the same and sometimes we can make adjustments if needed - we just have to have good communication with our doctor. I'm hoping when I need another fill it will keep me satisfied from breakfast to lunch.

As for having snack-type foods, my doc's office has a rule -"One and done". Have a little bit and be done with it. Sorry to get a bit off track with your original question!!

For those craving snack foods, I have found Kay's Naturals Protein chips help. For the salty craving, my favorite flavor is Lemon Herb (they also have Crispy Parmesan, and Chili Nacho, and pretzels). There is also Krucheese chips, kind of a cheesy flavor. They are high Protein, gluten free. The nut label is for 1oz but the bag is 1.5 oz so I do the math, because I eat the whole bag. They come in larger boxes, but I do better with the small bags, because I will stop when the bag is done. I can't always guage in a bigger bag or box and I eat too much.

For the sweet cravers, they have Almond Delight and Hazelnut Delight (chips) and sweet/salty Sweet BBQ(pretzel and chip combo). They also have a new Cinnamon pretzel, and if you like wasabe there is a wasabe pretzel(I didn't care for that flavor).

They also make Cereal in 1oz 100 cal bags in three flavors (Apple Cinnamond, French vanilla, and Honey Almond). I am a grab and go type person, so during the week they work for Breakfast because I keep them at work so I don't have to pack one each day. I drink a Protein shake first, wait an hour or so and then have Cereal (I don't even bother with milk, I eat it like a snack) sometimes by itself, sometimes with my yogurt.

I get Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's. They have a plain fat free there that has 22g protein per cup! Comes in a 2 cup container, and at home I split it into half cup servings (11g protein and only 3g sugar each) and stir in sugar free Smuckers preserves for flavoring (plus some cinnamon).

I can't say every day is perfect, but I have probably eaten no more than 5 potato chips and a handful of regular pretzels since my sugery over a year ago. Kay's has a sampler you can order to try different flavors. They sell the bags in a carton of 12, and they frequently have sales. Find them at kaysnaturals.com.

I don't know if this solves the snacking problem for anyone, but I hope it helps. Good luck on your respective journeys.