Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone walked a marathon or 1/2 marathon?

Several years ago when I had previously lost 55 lbs (with south beach) I was training to walk a 1/2 marathon.

Now I want to walk a marathon. I think I can handle the distance - been doing a long walk once a week and I'm up to 12.2 miles and the marathon isn't until October.

I'm just not sure I can keep a 14 minute pace which is required or they kick you onto the 1/2 marathon course - which is ok and at the least I'll do the 1/2 - but I really want to finish the full marathon.

So, is there anyone out there who has completed one or is thinking about it? Could use some advise.

Thanks - I'm going to need it!

I have never heard of a walking one, at a pace of 4mph, they would have to keep the course open for 3-6 hours. I'll look forward to hearing about it if you do. I am going to plan on the 1/2 marathon running for 2010.

many marathons do allow walking - you just have to finish within the 6-7 hr mark. Some of the really big ones don't. The Kansas City one (which is what I'm doing) doesn't have a separate category for walkers and that's where the problem comes in. When I did the St louis 1/2 - they did have a separate category - and although you weren't forced to finish by a certain time - they just informed you that at the 6 hr mark - the course would no longer be kept open (free from cars) so you might have to move to sidewalks.

I don't know if they still do it but in the one I did - they even let the walkers start an hour earlier (also had a slightly different route so you really had 7 hrs.)

Good luck on the running - that idea strikes fear into my heart (I think I would rather walk 20 miles /day for several days then run 13.2 - make that even run 5.) Kudos to you!!!!!

It's been a few years but yes, I have walked a marathon. I was not properly trained and it took me 7 hours 33 minutes. It was in Nashville and the last part of the course was on some less populated roads. There were about 30 people behind me. Ask me anything you want - I'll try to answer.

Jodi

Thank you so much for responding. I'm excited that you've done it. Did the race organizers say anything about limiting your time to 6-7 hrs? (part of me wonders if this is just a fake threat or if they're serious.)

What was the hardest part?

Besides training more - what would you advise? helpful hints?

Were you overweight when you did it? if so did that bring up any special issues?

Thank you very much!

I was overweight but not as much as I am now. You have to be at the 11 mile marker by a certain time or you can't continue to full marathon. After the 7 hours, they start from the beggining of the course, picking up as they go along. In Nashville, you had approximately 30 minutes from the 7 hour mark. I know each race is different. A friend was walking the Disney race and they started picking up before the race was completed. You might be able to contact race officials for this in formation. Nashville was very hilly - at around the 20 mile marker, there was a very long gradualy climb - I really did not think I was going to make it. Also, towards the end of the race time, people are starting to leave and you don't have the crowds cheering you on. Do you know about the different "goos"? Basically, it's a quick dose of sugar and Protein. How are you training? do you have any kind of guide line?

Blisters were a big thing for me. I personally have found that using vaseline is just about as good as anything for chafing.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. I hope to do a 1/2 in March of this next year. I've registered. I might do San Antonio in November depending on when I get approval for surgery.

I have already discussed doing another marathon with my nutritionist. She said she would help guide me through the food process which would be different than a normal marathoner.

Stay in touch - I would love to know how you did.:tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

You might be able to contact race officials for this in formation. !

While I had never heard of walking the 1/2 or full marathon until this thread, the above I've found to be true for the 5 and 10k runs I have entered. At the last one, there was a group with a display recruiting people to work out with them for just such an event, so they are out there.

Walking a 1/2 or full marathon is very doable!! I've completed 3 1/2s and one full. I was undertrained for the full but still would love to complete another one.

There are walking groups that train for marathons. There are two or three in the Houston area that do not require fund raising. Also Team-in-training which requires fund raising. There is also a Avon 3 day event for breast cancer which is also 'walking or running'. There are definately out there.