Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not banded yet & already got discouraged...

My boss who is near 400 said it was the easy way! QUOTE]

Even though the band is not as easy as the "unbanded" think -- what's wrong with doing it the easy way? Is something only valuable if you try and fail numerous times? Sheesh!:eek:

Didn't say anything was "wrong". They just have no clue.

Band or no band, losing weight is not the easy way out. Losing weight and keeping it off is so supremely difficult, we are all here looking for help.

Even with the band, each person has to make the choice to use the tool. When the correct choices are make, it involves a lot of work and will power. The hope and the ideal that the band will help curb the annoying hunger is to goal.

During my diet tries, the thought of a 1200 calorie diet scared the rationality out me. I've tried it and was miserable because I was so hungry all the time. I wolfed my food down and it didn't last. I would be hungry two hours later and on and on. All I could think about is food. I failed miserably at all those diets. I was on one diet where I ate 8 cups of veggies spread out through the day, every day. I lost weight but once again, all I ended up thinking about was food, I have to cut up my veggies, I have to eat every two hours, I have to do this every whatever. I can't live like that either.

I was banded yesterday. I am not hungry despite the fact I've had 2 cups of broth and 16 oz of liquid so far today. (It's evening). I'm going to use this tool to the best of my ability and for once in my life, food isn't going to rule me. I will rule it and I don't care what anyone thinks.:eek:

O.k so this is probably not what you want to hear. I am also the mom to 3 children and i was looking into being banded. I have read through a lot of posts here and have made my decision not to go forth with the surgery. I know that I have to make smart choices when it comes to eating and I am going to stick to it. I have less than 100 lbs to loose and dont feel that the pros outweigh the cons. Loosing weight is easy staying commited and keeping it off is the hard part. I know I have to be healthy for my children. I got to thinking about all the complications associated with this surgery and how that would impact my kiddos. I have no comorbidities at the moment and I think that has been the main reason behind my decision. I also have a friend who has been banded for 3 years now and has reflux and a dialated esophagus. Those are two things that I don't want to sign up for.

Edited by soocalchic

To band or not to band is a very personal choice and not one to take lightly. We all chose to be on this forum for emotional support of each other in an effort to shed the pounds. Regardless of how we do it our goal is one in the same. This particular forum happens to be for support of people who have decided to use the band to help them lose weight. In my opinion just to say we are all in the same boat and appreciate the sharing of ideas and thougths. I for one appreciate the support and help of everyone. I certainly need it and I don't expect that I can do this alone and hope that I don't have to.

greytz, you said it all. That is exactly why we are here. I could not do this without the band and without the help of everyone. I have said this before and will say it forever, I wish I had done this before when I only had 100 to lose. We are all in this because we know the value of the band and we have all tried the diets and they have not worked for us for many reasons. To choose not to be banded is ok for some people, but I know this is my only hope and with the support of everyone here, I can do this this time around. Thanks for wording it so well.

I don't think many (any?) of us get the band without trying the diet/exercise route. Some of us have done ALMOST every diet known to man. I had a WONDERFUL doc once (loved that man) give me a new perspective about 15 years ago when I was literally in tears at my weight (then 290) I said "I just feel like such a failure. I'm smart, I'm accomplished, but I can't ever seem to get a grip on my weight. What is wrong with me? I'm useless". He grabbed my shoulders (!) and looked me dead in the eye and said "You are in a war for your life. You're fighting your body, your chemistry, for your very existence. Nature is on the side of your body...BUT you have won many many skirmishes in the war and you must NEVER give up." WOW.

The lap band, as I see it, is a tool. Would you berate yourself for losing weight "only if you diet"? NO. Would you berate yourself for exercising? NO. Would you say "But my friend never diets and exercises and SHE is skinny?" Maybe, but only to whine a little! LOL You wouldn't think you had be BE like her.

SO you need the band. Big woo. Lots of people need it (or SOMETHING) and don't ever get it. You are smart. You are getting more weapons to put in your arsenal for this war you're in. Don't feel guilty. If diet and exercise worked (and the percentage who do lose and keep it off that way is excruciatingly small) no one would be fat.

I love what you said here. I actually got a little frog in my throat reading it. I'm such a sentimental wimp!

You guys are awesome! Its so weird how a person can catch you on the wrong day or moment and upset everything! I am confident this is for me. I pray everyday about it. I ask for signs and they all point to help! Im afraid to go to the amusement park before my surgery because Im afraid I wont fit in some of the rides this time. I weigh close to the same that I did last time I went but who knows? What if my butt got bigger? LOL! I wont have this worry next summer! :thumbup: