Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you begin exercise? Especially swimming?

I am 3 weeks post op now, and have been chomping at the bit to take a dip in my swimming pool! I also would like to begin using my eliptical machine, but don't know if I have to wait longer into my recovery. What was your experience with this? I have been doing walking around the neighborhood, but really want to begin doing some "real" exercise to begin losing some serious weight! I don't want to bother the staff at my doctor's office with this question, since I know he told me all about this after my surgery (but I've since forgotten). Please let me know how long you waited before going for a swim and before engaging in strenuous excersize. Thanks! :thumbup:

I am 3 weeks post op now, and have been chomping at the bit to take a dip in my swimming pool! I also would like to begin using my eliptical machine, but don't know if I have to wait longer into my recovery. What was your experience with this? I have been doing walking around the neighborhood, but really want to begin doing some "real" exercise to begin losing some serious weight! I don't want to bother the staff at my doctor's office with this question, since I know he told me all about this after my surgery (but I've since forgotten). Please let me know how long you waited before going for a swim and before engaging in strenuous excersize. Thanks! :angry:

I waited wayyyy too long to exercise (partly due to some pretty serious post op problem... partly due to laziness :thumbup:

I know you don't want to bug your doctors office, but that is what they are there for. My opinion (and I am NOT a doctor) is that you should be able to swim, (as long as your incisions are all healed) But, since I am not a doctor, I would recommend calling your doctor.

You are doing things right, wanting to exercise. Kudos to you :D It will make your loss that much better.

Good luck on your journey to a new you. :cursing:

Edited by KayleighsMommy
spelling

I walked a couple of kilometres every day from day 1, gently. At about 3 weeks, I went back to gym and used the elliptical a couple of times a week for about 40 minutes and continued to walk on off days.

At about 3 months, I started running

I got the okay to swim two weeks after surgery. I'm two weeks and four days out from surgery, and I swam for the first time today -- actually, I just sort of dog-paddled, as swimming was uncomfortable. I'm definitely feeling it around my port incision tonight.

I didn't swim until about 4 weeks after my surgery. My doc told me that I could've gone swimming almost right away... 10 days after surgery, if I was feeling up to it but I wasn't.

You can start hardcore workouts around the same time [1 month out]. I just stuck to walking & WiiFit!

I tried Water aerobics about 2 weeks after (my surgeon said I could), but my stomach was bouncing up and down in the water too much and it didn't feel good on my port. It's been almost a month now and I still haven't gone back. But I have been riding my exercise bike instead. With each passing day, my port feels more and more like a part of me. I'm thinking of trying water aerobics again on Thursday.

I had my Operation 9th June and went swimming on monday 29th I was fine in the swimming pool but later that night my stomick was really sore, I think it is to soon as when you are swimming you are putting a lot of pressure on your stomick.

Hope that Helps.

Gillian

I was banded on the same day as you. I have been walking up until a few days ago.

But I went back to the gym on Monday and I started out on eliptical and bike (they are pretty gentle). On Tuesday I tried treadmill with walking 2 minutes/running 2 minutes for 20 minutes. (Running pretty slow). I was fine. The only thing that hurt were my legs because I had not exercised to that extent for about a month.

My doctor gave me the ok to execise right away- just no weights. I was able to add weight training after my first fill- which was about 5 weeks post op.

I had my surgery on a Friday, and got on the eliptical that same Sunday. As for the swimming- I swam after one month post-op. My scars were healed up, no open wounds, so my doctor gave me the "ok"

A lot of things you just make a sensible judgement if you should do it or not. When in doubt, call your doctor!

I was banded on 6/24 -- and the Dr. said I could swim Saturday (the 4th). He said to just make sure to keep my incisions out of the sun and to dry them well when I get out of the pool!