Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You know what....everyone needs to BACK OFF with all this information stating that the sleeve is better than the band....IT IS A PERSONAL DECISION.

I did my homework on it and NO WAY would I ever let someone cut off 85% of my stomach and throw it away, and rely on those staples to hold me together for the rest of my life!!! You can't grow your stomach back and if your body does not respond well, then I guess you are pretty f#$# aren't you??? Don't tell me people don't have complications or deaths from that, because it is not true...It might not be that common but it happens.

It's a personal decision...it's not better than the band. I went through some health issues with my stomach last year and was sooo sick....I'll tell you what...I never want something to happen to my stomach (sleeve) that I can't have any chance of changing if there are problems or if my body doesn't respond. Each person is different and there are not guarantees.

SO drop it......we will make our own decisions and I'm glad I went with the band...NEVER THE SLEEVE FOR ME!!!!

Don't tell me people don't have complications or deaths from that, because it is not true...It might not be that common but it happens.

Who told you this? Show me the post.

Note the last sentence of your quote. The procedure is not fairly new, it's older than the lap band. They've been doing it for weight loss since the 70s and for other reasons a LONG time prior to that. It is anything but new. The long term studies came out in June of last year.

Heh.. told you that your sources have outdated information and in this case, just plain wrong. ;o)

There is an RSS feeder that is updated on an hourly basis on the link I gave you. It's not difficult, really.

The first adjustable lapband procedure was performed Sept. 1, 1993 in Belgium.

The first gastric sleeve procedure was performed in England in 2002.

Heh...once AGAIN, get your facts straight and show me a link that states all these facts that you keep spouting. Not your RSS feeder, that just has a bunchn of news articles relating to obesity.

Bubblebutt you are a rude, condesce nding person. You aren't right and the people that have been going back and forth with you all day are never gonna change there minds. You've been nasty to me more than once. On 2 occasions indidcated I was a liar. If you think bandsters are such idiots why not just go elsewhere. This is a group we come to for support not to called liars and talked to like fools. That kind of nasty attitude and negativity are truly not wanted here.

Browsing Search Results for gastric sleeve death // BlogCatalog

I posted recently about the loss of Jackie who was 6 days out from her gastric sleeve surgerygrey_loader.gif

. We've heard more from her husband. He wanted to share her story in hopes that this will not happen to anyone else. This is what he has learned from the autopsy and reports.

Jackie started feeling ill. She felt faint and was having hot flashes. Her surgeon assumed it was dehydration and sent her to the emergency room. They assumed the same and pumped her full of liquids and sent her home. The liquids did not alleviate her problems. The next day she was still having periods of feeling faint, her heart raced and the hot flashes continued. Her husband took her blood pressure and it would not register. Her heart beat was elevated. The surgeon made a appointment to see her the next day. She started feeling even worse so her husband drove her to the emergency room again. On the way she was having trouble breathing and passed away as they arrived.

Blood clots had formed and were being released into her system. She survived the shower of clots the first night but not the showers the next day. Her death could probably have been prevented if anyone had tested for blood clots.

If you have symptoms in any way similar to hers, do not let them pass it off as dehydration. Insist that they consider blood clots. Emphasis to everyone that you recently had surgery and that they are a possibility. Be informed and be your own advocate. Vertical sleeve gastrectomy can be a life saver but it can also be a killer.

http://www.gastricsleevesurgeons.com/sleeve/lapband_files/Lvsg2.pdf.

Page 1 1124

Obesity Surgery, 15, 2005

© FD-Communications Inc.

Obesity Surgery, 15, 1124-1128

Background: The use of the laparoscopic sleeve gas-

trectomy (LSG), a restrictive operation, in different

settings, is presented.

Methods: 31 patients underwent LSG in the follow-

ing groups: 1) 7 patients with very high BMI as a first

stage of the duodenal switch (DS); 2) 7 morbidly

obese patients with severe medical conditions; 3) 16

obese patients with lower BMI (35-43); and 4) 1 patient

converted from a prior gastric banding.

Results: 1 patient with BMI 74 died, a 3.2% mortality.

The percentage of excess BMI loss (%EBMIL) in group

1 above was 63.1% from 4-27 months. The %EBMIL of

the cirrhotics in group 2 was 76.0% (69-100%). The

%EBMIL in group 3 patients was 68.5% (58.3-123%) at

3-27 months.The %EBMIL of the group 4 patient is 13%

because she had previously lost almost all of her EBMI.

Conclusion: LSG may become the ideal operation for

staging in patients with BMI >55, for treating morbidly

obese patients with severe medical conditions, as an

excellent alternative to adjustable bands in lower BMI

patients, or for conversion of gastric banding patients

Interesting - it seems no surgery is all that "successful" for super morbidly obese individuals meaning that you are highly unlikely to get to and maintain a "normal" weight. doesnt mean you cant have a whole lot better life! And similarly, nearly everything works better for lower BMI patients.

Puts paid to those who like to bitch and moan about how lower BMI patients shouldnt have surgery.

With regard to the death, how sad, but in all fairness, that could happen after you had your tonsils out. Dying as a complication of surgery and dying as a complication of weight loss surgery specifically are two different things. Anyone can get clots, aspirate Fluid into their lungs etc.

However, here is where adjustability is a bit of a crock - if your weight loss peters out with a sleeve before you're happy with the result, well you're ever so slightly f...d. If that happens with a band, then theoretically you can tighten it. But that's where I think the problems start to occur. I dont think you CAN just get tighter and tighter. I think way too many people try to get more out of the band than it can actually delivery. Its a surgery for people who are able to make good food choices, werent too disordered and ill to begin with and are able to exercise with dedication (at high levels). For them, it works brilliantly. Its a valid, sensible decision if you can honestly say you're one of those people. I also dont think I had any sort of ghrelin disorder personally, I wasnt inappopriately hungry, I just ate lots coz it felt good and I got into bad habits.

It is NOT a good surgery for people who need more help than that and are going to need to be tighter and tighter to control appetites and head hunger.

Jachut, I agree. That's my point. ALL surgeries have risks and complications during and afterwards...which is something some people refuse to accept. I just like the statements made here to be backed by proven facts, not by the fact "because I said so"!

The first adjustable lapband procedure was performed Sept. 1, 1993 in Belgium.

The first gastric sleeve procedure was performed in England in 2002.

Heh...once AGAIN, get your facts straight and show me a link that states all these facts that you keep spouting. Not your RSS feeder, that just has a bunchn of news articles relating to obesity.

Quit pulling up info from outdated sources. You will get MUCH better info.

Research, it isn't the horror you make it out to be.

The link I gave you previously, RSS feeders... updated hourly. My guess is that you have no clue what an RSS feeder is. Heh..

Jachut, I agree. That's my point. ALL surgeries have risks and complications during and afterwards...which is something some people refuse to accept. I just like the statements made here to be backed by proven facts, not by the fact "because I said so"!

Put your research where your pink, large, useless words are. Prove your point. Quit spewing crap and start posting facts. Where did anyone claim the sleeve has no complications. IOW, put up or STHU.

The sleeve has fewer long term risks and complications. Prove me wrong. I have shown the risks of banding vs. sleeves, prove me wrong.

Thanks for the voice of reason, Jachut. There is absolutely no need for all the personal attacking going on here, Wasa. Please tone it down.

Visiting the sleeve forum, its obvious there ARE after surgery discomforts and problems. All this talk of night coughing and heartburn and reliance on antacids doesnt sound like any ideal surgery to me, no more than than pbing and getting stuck do.

I see what you mean. Thought I'd pay the forum a visit and you're right, it seems sleevers do have problems too, its not quite the plain sailing that you would think when you read some of the posts on this board!

But yes that also doesn't mean that the sleeve isn't a good option.It just proves once again that you need to research the WLS you choose, find the one you think is right for you and be well informed about potential problems etc beforehand.

As they say forewarned is forearmed.

Bubblebutt you are a rude, condesce nding person. You aren't right and the people that have been going back and forth with you all day are never gonna change there minds. You've been nasty to me more than once. On 2 occasions indidcated I was a liar. If you think bandsters are such idiots why not just go elsewhere. This is a group we come to for support not to called liars and talked to like fools. That kind of nasty attitude and negativity are truly not wanted here.

Nah, she isn't rude, she just disagrees with they way you post things, like they are fact, that aren't really facts. You spew marketing BS, like it is real, and you act like a victom every time someone corrects you on stuff you post that isn't accurate. Get over it.

And I was nice about this twice before in earlier posts. But, frankly, I'm not being nice right now, because of I'm sick of it!!!! You keep posting incorrect or biased BS, and I will keep correcting you, and yes, I will get meaner and meaner about it.

How dare you tell anyone they are or are not welcome here, who do you think you are?

You know what....everyone needs to BACK OFF with all this information stating that the sleeve is better than the band....IT IS A PERSONAL DECISION.

I did my homework on it and NO WAY would I ever let someone cut off 85% of my stomach and throw it away, and rely on those staples to hold me together for the rest of my life!!! You can't grow your stomach back and if your body does not respond well, then I guess you are pretty f#$# aren't you??? Don't tell me people don't have complications or deaths from that, because it is not true...It might not be that common but it happens.

It's a personal decision...it's not better than the band. I went through some health issues with my stomach last year and was sooo sick....I'll tell you what...I never want something to happen to my stomach (sleeve) that I can't have any chance of changing if there are problems or if my body doesn't respond. Each person is different and there are not guarantees.

SO drop it......we will make our own decisions and I'm glad I went with the band...NEVER THE SLEEVE FOR ME!!!!

You tell people to back off, and then procede in the same tone and nature....hypocrite.:thumbup:

Jaffa and others, please pay attention to Alexandra's previous warning. This is truly getting out of hand.