Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tanning and Post-Op Scars- What's Your Opinion?

What is your opinion on tanning your post-op wounds?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on tanning your post-op wounds?

• Yes, Go ahead and tan...tanned fat and scars looks better than white ones!
    • No, Tanning your scars will make them appear much worse!
    • Doesn't Make a Difference, Tanning has no effect on how your scars will appear.
    • No Clue, I am would like to know the answer to this one myself!

I am about a month post-op and started laying in the tanning bed last week. I am wondering if keeping my post op wounds/scars uncovered in the tanning bed will help my scars look more or less obvious? Also, are there any other possible negative side effects from tanning those areas until they are completely healed?

All of my skin glue is gone and I am healing nicely but the wounds are still very visible and some what fresh looking.

If you have tanned your stomach after surgery please give me your opinion!

They say that it can make your scars permanently red and raised.

Really, how can UV light, which damages your skin, help?

And if you want to avoid loose skin, how can destroying your skin structure help that? Tanning beds make your skin look really nice in the short term, I understand that and have used them myself - but in the long term, they age your skin and make it sag.

I think living where I do in Australia, we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, and tanning salons do not do big business. Most people are desperately trying to undo sun damage just from every day living, our sun is so strong. So we tend to be tanning bed negative, where I get that you guys dont feel quite the same way.

I plan on tanning. I was just done on the 17th. I will probably start tanning on the 27th. I have a wedding to go to and want a bit of glow. Not looking completely pale and nasty from being shut in!!! I tanned after my lap chole and nothing happened. The scars are barely noticeable so I'm hoping the same is true for this!

I had breast reduction last summer, and the doctor STRESSED if you expose the wounds/incisions to the sun, they will not fade properly. You will be left with permanant markings. Incisions take months to fade properly. I recommend you cover them, unless you like them a lot.

Please step away from the tanning bed, as you'll be doing your skin and scars permanent, irreversible damage.

Find yourself a good beautician and get a spray tan instead. Done properly (and not tandoori-style), they take very little time and can look utterly fabulous.

I agree with Jachut and missbinda's posts. Please do not go tanning, either in a bed, or outdoors. Neither is good for you. My father recently passed away from a type of melanoma that hides under the skin, and there are no outward signs until it latches onto an organ, and by then it is too late (he lived only 9 months after they found it). I know that not everyone who goes tanning gets skin cancer, but it is possible! To all of you just wanting to look better do NOT risk your health. Get a good spray-on, and that will do wonders without the side effects! PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN!!!

I am about a month post-op and started laying in the tanning bed last week. I am wondering if keeping my post op wounds/scars uncovered in the tanning bed will help my scars look more or less obvious? Also, are there any other possible negative side effects from tanning those areas until they are completely healed?

All of my skin glue is gone and I am healing nicely but the wounds are still very visible and some what fresh looking.

If you have tanned your stomach after surgery please give me your opinion!

How bout trying that sunless tanning lotion. I got some last summer and I didn't streak with it a bit. I believe it was Suave. It worked really well. I have to admit, I have been laying out in the pool this summer but mostly with my back showing. Sunless tanning is a lot more safe, but laying out on a float in the sun, it is just so relaxing. Also, if you are worried bout your scars, how bout trying the spray tan. I saw on commercial the other day that you are now able to order it and do it in your own home now.

Girl you are beautiful just the way you are no need to tan. But if it bothers you and your really want some color Bare escentiauls (Ulta, sephora, QVC sales it) has a really nice self taning and it has color so you can see where you are putting it and i never turns orange and i am the lightest person you will ever see in you life (can't find foundation light enough some times)

I've been tanning outside and it's actually making my scar lighter. I rub Vitamin E oil on it afterwards so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've tanned in the tanning bed and it didn't seem to do anything obvious to my scars.

If you're going to tan you need to cover your scars with sunblock first!

Many people are not confident with fake tans, and they ARE hard to get right. I find I can get them on right, but it frustrates the heck out of me that i get literally one DAY of perfect skin before they start to fade.

But I am addicted to gradual tanning lotions - just drugstore ones like Olay and Dove. They take a few days to tan you but becuase you're topping up every day (and I give myself a good rubdown with exfoliating gloves in the shower every day) and taking off the excess, the tan stays perfect and even.

Once every couple of weeks I find it starts to build up too much, I go for a swim in the chlorine and buff it all off.

I like to be tanned all the time becuase I have a pale caucasion skin that is also slightly olive - so no gorgeous peaches and cream perfection for me, untanned I am just sallow and a bit yellow. So I deepen it - I find this way more effective than make up - an all over tan gives me a healthy look that no faceful of heavy make up ever could. I hate make up so will do anything I can not to have to wear it.

If you really feel like you need to tan, I suggest covering your scars. I know that the sun/fake sun only makes the scars darker. Everyone is different, what might not effect one person can effect the other. I say just be really cautious.