Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh... First Sliming Experience

OMG, last night I had a horrible time with a hamburger. I had no problems with hamburger before my first fill, but last night was murder. The first bite got stuck and it was very painful. After about 5-10 minutes of agonizing, knife-stabbing pain, I took a few Papaya Enzyme tablets, which helped a little. Waited about another 5-10 min. and felt good enough to take a second bite (I was starving!). Same thing happened, same routine.... This time, though, the enzyme tabs weren't helping so much, and I was burping a lot. My body wanted that meat out of there! I thought for sure I was going to PB, but much to my surprise, instead I slimed.... which is just the same as PBing but all that comes up is slimy spit -- lots of it. :wink2: That continued to happen until finally the meat worked its way down (another 10-15 minutes), during which time, I believe I slimed about 3 times. At that point, I gave my hamburger to my dh.

So there you have it, mayo Banditos, a first sliming experience, in case you were wondering. :)

Was this out, or at home?

I'm so scared of something like this happening when I'm at a business dinner. Even if I manage to get away from the table quickly, it would create a problem to be in the restroom for 15 minutes waiting for it to resolve. Ugh!

So were you cutting up tiny bites of the hamburger and chewing really well?

Were you eating the bread/bun?

My post-op instructions say no bread at all for 8 weeks. It's one of those things that I'm going to try to leave behind MOST of the time even beyond that.

I guess bread and rice are some of the foods most commonly that cause issues.

Glad everything turned out alright in the end...

I was at home. I would highly recommend you get some papaya enzyme tablets and keep them with you at all times. It helped. I realized now that the bottle said to take 4 tabs, but I only took 3. So perhaps I could have gotten better relief the first time around. I do confess that I was SO hungry that my first bite was too big and I didn't chew well enough, so yes, my bad!

I wouldn't worry too much about PBing or sliming while out because it's not like vomiting. A whole bunch doesn't come out of your mouth like vomit. Just the bite (or the saliva) comes back up into your mouth, and you will have time to get to the restroom before this happens. You will know it is stuck before the PB or sliming happens. The two times I've had troubles (one PB, one sliming) I have wanted to stand up and walk around, so excusing yourself from the table is probably a good idea. Then chew up the papaya enzyme (they are tasty!) and give it a little while.

Morale of the story is: Tiny bites and make like a train: chew, chew, chew! :blushing:

Linda, I forgot to tell you that I was not eating bread or a bun. I had a slice of melted cheese, and some ketchup to moisten it. That's how I've eaten it successfully in the past.

I just emailed my surgeon's assistant about whether I can take a sip of Water for stuck food. She's usually good about getting back to me by the end of the day. I'll let you know what she says. :blushing:

Ok, the surgeon's asst. says not to take sips of Water because that will just sit on top of the stuck food. :blushing:

I can see waiting a long time for steak, but ground beef - if you chew well - should be ok, I would think. My post-op is no red meat or pork for 8 weeks. Starting Friday, I can have chicken or fish (I jumped the gun and had some chicken last night).

I have avoided bread since I was banded 5/19. I LOVE garlic bread, so when my family would have some, I would just take a few bites and descreetly spit it back into a napkin and throw it away. The day before my first fill, I decided to try some wheat toast with butter. I took a small bite and chewed really well, but it still got stuck. I started to slime a little, and it took several minutes to finally go down - a very unpleasant feeling. I think I was saved due to the small bite and chewing, but I don't think I will be eating bread (or anything doughy) for quite some time. I'll go back to my chew-it-up-and-spit-it-out routine when I'm craving garlic bread. I figure this will reduce my calorie intake, too!

I have a real addiction to sugar, so before I started this journey I made the monumental decision to give up every white carb: white bread, white Pasta, white flour, white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, etc. So needless to say, I haven't tried any white bread, but I've also been too afraid to try any other breads, mostly because of my fear of it triggering my desire to want other bread, which would trigger other carb cravings....

I know eventually I will try multigrain bread, but I'm not ready yet.

My surgeon didn't tell me anything about ground beef. He said just avoid steak, white rice, and white bread.

Had no trouble with the hamburger in the weeks prior to my fill. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. *sigh*

I wonder if it has something to do with a hamburger patty. I had one and was fine. The next time I tried I had the sliming thing after eating about half of a small patty. Sure was tasty, the first one I ate I mean. I don't I will try again for awhile.

I have a real addiction to sugar, so before I started this journey I made the monumental decision to give up every white carb: white bread, white Pasta, white flour, white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, etc. So needless to say, I haven't tried any white bread, but I've also been too afraid to try any other breads, mostly because of my fear of it triggering my desire to want other bread, which would trigger other carb cravings....

I know eventually I will try multigrain bread, but I'm not ready yet.

My surgeon didn't tell me anything about ground beef. He said just avoid steak, white rice, and white bread.

Had no trouble with the hamburger in the weeks prior to my fill. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. *sigh*

Ground beef or Ground turkey is very band friendly. I think it's because it's ground and makes chewing it down to nothing easier than chewing a piece of steak that's fiberous.

Ground beef or Ground turkey is very band friendly. I think it's because it's ground and makes chewing it down to nothing easier than chewing a piece of steak that's fiberous.

Yes, that's what I understood -- and had experienced -- too! I believe it was two things: 1. I took too big of a bite and didn't chew well enough; and 2. I'm still adjusting to this new restriction.

I *hope* I learned my lesson on chewing well and don't rush off and -- ha -- bite off more than I can chew some day! :wink:

I had a problem with scrambled egg whites getting stuck today, (first fill was last tuesday), but I know I ate too quickly. I also had a problem about 2 weeks ago when I took about 2 bites of white rice, it came right back up. Ugh!

I can see waiting a long time for steak, but ground beef - if you chew well - should be ok, I would think. My post-op is no red meat or pork for 8 weeks. Starting Friday, I can have chicken or fish (I jumped the gun and had some chicken last night).[/quote

Hi Linda. I hope I have the right person. Did you update your photo? If you are the same Linda, you look great!:blushing:

Edited by 2911plans

Yeah, I needed a new pic after my pre-op liquid diet 'cause I lost a bit and I could actually see it in my face! hahaha "Take my picture, take my picture!" (Fortunately my kids are happy to oblige me. LOL)